Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Tennessee - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

zags 92 Vols 82
    "What is the ugliest part of your body?...I say it's your mind". F. Z.

Zags 86
    Vols 80

The boys have been showing up big-time against the big names on the big stage...time do it yet again. The 11 p.m. ET tips, not so much.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Zags seem to always bounce back and play some of their very best ball immediately following a stinker. I too worry about the lack of depth in terms of foul trouble but not in terms of guys running out of gas because of too much playing time...not this Sunday anyway. This game is a big time stage - another national spotlight, 'prove how good you are' kind of game - and I think Zags rise to the occasion!

Gonzaga 97
    Tennessee 88

Hope they take the court with a go for broke, prove how good we are kind of chip on their shoulder and play w controlled aggression...as opposed to the tentative, make sure you don't get into foul trouble approach that seemed to be in play vs UW. A very fine line to balance but hopefully they learn how to do it after seeing what erring too far on side of caution can do.

For some reason I think Jeremy Jones is gonna have a big impact on this game.
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

Zags - 89
    Vols - 85

I hope to see us hit shots from all over the floor and play good defense on the high-low entry pass and chase shooters off the 3 point line. I hope we ball-out and win a close one.

prediction:

Vols 84
    Zags 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Zags 88
    Vols 81

A lot of people are running around the forum with like they have been bitten because of last nights game. Tennessee is very good. Zags are very good. I think the Zags can control this game.

I hope I am wrong, but I think there is some residual hangover from the game last night - Zags not as crisp, etc. Lack of depth is also a concern.

Zags 80
    Vols 90

Vols will be a very tough out.

The lack of fouls to give will prove difficult to overcome.

But WE DO!

Zaggies 85
    Vols 84

Zags win 88-83

90-76 Zags

Coach Few said himself, the guys have been flat in practice following the Creighton game. He thought it was due to the number of emotional games they have played this season.

After visiting with much of the team after Creighton, prior to them boarding their team bus, you could sense how tired and emotional they were...

11 points down, 18,500 fans screaming for 40 mins, guys in foul trouble, & knowing the stretch of games that await in a short period of time.

No reset button.

Not enough rest to allow the bumps and bruises to fully heal

Trying to take one game at a time but keep hearing about all the teams and tough games ahead.

Lacking depth, over playing, concerned over foul trouble issues, playing safe, going through the emotions.

Not feeling fresh.

Only 3 days rest, and 1 travel day to face a Top 10 team with a full weeks rest, hungry, and talking confidently.

A huge opportunity for Tennessee, and Zags can kinda afford to let one slide.

Vols go 9 deep. They take risks, they stay aggressive, they pressure you. Big fast strong athletic at every position. They don't have a "Timmons" to exploit.

Tough game, tough timing.

Hope we come alive again.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

These are two experienced teams. Watching the Vols in the last couple of years, they are a well disciplined that is certainly a top ten team with a great front court. Saying this, they have had trouble players like Rui who have a great midrange game and Norvell. Both can be a difference in a tight game.
    77-72 Zags in a tough game.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

I hope I don't get the +10 for picking the wrong winner. I'm going 87-83 Zags win!!!

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

Tenn: 69
    Zags: 66

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“ We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.” -- Fran J. Polek

this team might be the one to confuse and frustrate Josh P. to take the game, by attacking our lineup at its weakest points. No pun intended.
    TN 85
    GU 83

hope I get proven wrong again,
    have had trouble being a believer this year,
    maybe I should call the Dr.

Playing these fast high energy games with basically 6 kids is asking for trouble. Guards become exhausted and the bigs lose their springs. If we get by these next two games, I’ll be surprised. A loss would be quite understandable. Kids showing lots of courage but sooner or later they will stumble playing against full squad opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Coach Few said himself, the guys have been flat in practice following the Creighton game. He thought it was due to the number of emotional games they have played this season.

After visiting with much of the team after Creighton, prior to them boarding their team bus, you could sense how tired and emotional they were...

11 points down, 18,500 fans screaming for 40 mins, guys in foul trouble, & knowing the stretch of games that await in a short period of time.

No reset button.

Not enough rest to allow the bumps and bruises to fully heal

Trying to take one game at a time but keep hearing about all the teams and tough games ahead.

Lacking depth, over playing, concerned over foul trouble issues, playing safe, going through the emotions.

Not feeling fresh.

Only 3 days rest, and 1 travel day to face a Top 10 team with a full weeks rest, hungry, and talking confidently.

A huge opportunity for Tennessee, and Zags can kinda afford to let one slide.

Vols go 9 deep. They take risks, they stay aggressive, they pressure you. Big fast strong athletic at every position. They don't have a "Timmons" to exploit.

Tough game, tough timing.

Hope we come alive again.
    This is a really good post.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Playing these fast high energy games with basically 6 kids is asking for trouble. Guards become exhausted and the bigs lose their springs. If we get by these next two games, I’ll be surprised. A loss would be quite understandable. Kids showing lots of courage but sooner or later they will stumble playing against full squad opponents.
    With our schedule, i'm not so worried. 9 games into the season they should have no issues after 4 days of rest. Bear in mind they had to play 3 games back to back to back in Maui and looked great in the final game against duke. I'd agree with you "long term" if our in conference schedule was competitive......but it's not going to be (a couple games perhaps being the exception). Lets have faith that Few will have them mentally ready, because physically they should be fine.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

I get a laugh out of the worry about how tired..... even exhausted …...the Zags are after 9 games.... I have a tough time reconciling that with all the talk about 4 or more of them going to the NBA.....

Sabonis and Collins and Kelly have already played about 26 games...... all over the country...... nearly night after night against the best players in the world......and have more than 60 games yet to play this season...…

If the Zag players are worn out now, maybe they should consider a different career....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I get a laugh out of the worry about how tired..... even exhausted …...the Zags are after 9 games.... I have a tough time reconciling that with all the talk about 4 or more of them going to the NBA.....

Sabonis and Collins and Kelly have already played about 26 games...... all over the country...... nearly night after night against the best players in the world......and have more than 60 games yet to play this season...…

If the Zag players are worn out now, maybe they should consider a different career....
    I wouldn't laugh too hard Bart. Those squads have 12 to fifteen pros to work with. We're running with 6 skilled players. Big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    With our schedule, i'm not so worried. 9 games into the season they should have no issues after 4 days of rest. Bear in mind they had to play 3 games back to back to back in Maui and looked great in the final game against duke. I'd agree with you "long term" if our in conference schedule was competitive......but it's not going to be (a couple games perhaps being the exception). Lets have faith that Few will have them mentally ready, because physically they should be fine.
    If we had a full squad, I'd agree, But we only have 6 guys and a limited Jones appearance. We're down 2 kids with injuries. Grueling paces should/do require more than what we have. It's a concern.

Default Solution

[QUOTE=raise the zag;1415722]Coach Few said himself, the guys have been flat in practice following the Creighton game. He thought it was due to the number of emotional games they have played this season.

Back off in practice especially when the next big game is less than a week away and let the team's battery recharge. You can't go full throttle or 100% all the time. The human body is a machine and up to 85% is doable on a consistent basis. Also too, I hope these guys are not taking a full load during BB Season or at the very least a minimum load. Make up the classes during the summer. Progress is never linear. It has peaks and valleys and you have to plan for this., Many many years ago when I was into Olympic Weightlifting (recreationaly) I would read about how the Russians trained. They would actually plan their training loads over a period of years to acknowledge this. They would peak for meets and than back off but this was planned over years so that at the end of a number of years there would be a sizable increase in their totals. Although not always successful it is definitely food for thought. Other Olympic athletes have small amounts of blood taken during practices (it doesn't hurt) to determine the extent of lactic acid in the blood which is a sure sign of overtraining. I am sure this has been refined by now but their are still unenlightened coaches like Tom Thibodeau (formerly of Chicago) that got production in the short run by running practices like the NBA finals. They did well for a while but in the long run this was a bust as he ran his players into the ground.,Chicagoans will never forgive him for ruining Derek Rose and Jokim Noah. And he was a fat slob to boot. Just my two cents.

Us 86
    Them. 81

Confidence

Going with my heart... 91-86 Zags. Big game, and not feeling super confident.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I wouldn't laugh too hard Bart. Those squads have 12 to fifteen pros to work with. We're running with 6 skilled players. Big difference.
    No way playing college basket ball is as demanding as travelling and playing in the NBA....against those fast and powerful players and at that pace.. regardless of the roster size....starters in the NBA play 28-35 minutes , stars play about 40 and in a recent playoff..... LeBron played nearly all 48...

Obviously I am not a D1 Basketball Player..... but I did room with a couple of them..... knew all the others.... and nearly all wanted to play every minute of every game...... and sure.... they would be tired after a game...... but they recovered within hours....even Big John who had to move about 280 pounds around...and if you believe all the advances in training and in nutrition.... they are likely in much better condition now.....

Morrison.... who had diabetes..... is rumored to have actually missed a free throw on purpose to stay in the game....

laughing is obviously hyperbole , perhaps I should have said I was skeptical ... still am...they are fine...
    Last edited by bartruff1; 12-07-2018 at 03:12 AM.