Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Tennessee - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    tend to agree but wonder facing the depth ahead. or maybe perhaps not by design but because of fouls? just seems tough for only 7 guys playing in each of the next 2 games, but maybe! we'll see
    Seems to me the key isn't lengthening the bench, it is getting great games out of players 6-7 so that players 6 and 7 play more minutes, thus "extending" bench time.

The shorter bench at Creighton didn't kill us bc both FP and Jones played well. Jones didn't play well versus the UW, and FP had trouble with switches, so didn't get much. If both those guys can return to form, Jones play like he did on Maui, same with Petrusev, we'll be fine.

I am more concerned about whether we'll see the eye of the tiger up front. Rui we can pretty well pencil in for full throttle. But I want to see Clarke and Norvelle return to their normal aggressive selves.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

You are very smart, WenatcheeZag. Oh! It will be the same team but I different game. They are ready to show they are the best.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Seems to me the key isn't lengthening the bench, it is getting great games out of players 6-7 so that players 6 and 7 play more minutes, thus "extending" bench time.

The shorter bench at Creighton didn't kill us bc both FP and Jones played well. Jones didn't play well versus the UW, and FP had trouble with switches, so didn't get much. If both those guys can return to form, Jones play like he did on Maui, same with Petrusev, we'll be fine.

I am more concerned about whether we'll see the eye of the tiger up front. Rui we can pretty well pencil in for full throttle. But I want to see Clarke and Norvelle return to their normal aggressive selves.
    great points Dixie

on lengthening the bench, not a key just a chance, maybe. just thinking about the minutes and the games played and ahead, wondering how Few will manage it. not a rip on any players 1-7 in any way, more about how to help them for a burst of minutes here or there during this stretch of games here down the stretch, and in those moments if they are there, what is possible.

anyway, Zags won't see a D like the one UW threw at them, like some Charlie Hough or Niekro knuckleballing them. Keys imo are who fouls whom and whether depth becomes an issue or not. Zags show up

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    The Zags will be ready to play. That's for sure. Being tired will not be a reason for a loss. That zone that the UW played was for real. It is one of the best zones I've ever seen. It was, at times, a trapping zone defense, or a trapping match-up defensive. And yet the Zags thred it to pieces at times. I've watched the game several times now, and honestly the Zags looked pretty good. They were up by 10 at half. Scored 40 points. I'd say that is typical Zag ball this year. The difference in the second half to me was that the Huskies shot better from the 3 point line.

What is the misconception that the Zags are only playing six players all about? I wonder if some of you are watching the games. The Zags have a seven man rotation with Petrusev and Jones coming in off of the bench. This forum has praised both of our bench players over and over. Why the change? Both Jones and Petrusev are excellent basketball players, and have contributed in every was. There have been many seasons that Duke only played 7 players.

Basically, this game will feature two great teams fighting it out for a victory. It should be a very close game because both of these teams are really good. The game will be played in Arizona which, imo, could be the difference in this game. I also believe that Gonzaga is a little bit better than Tennessee. Gonzaga is also a better 3 point shoot team; so lets hope our Ninja Shooters are shooting bulls eyes.

Gonzaga 87
    Tennessee 81
    Spot on Reborn. Zags can get separation from Vols w superior 3-pt shooting. I hope Perkins, Norvell, Kispert finds their stroke early and often. I’m also thinking Jeremy Jones will have a big opportunity to impact this game by coming in and locking down Admiral Schofield...that will be a good matchup.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

rewatched the UW game last night.

We played better than given credit for...on offense. UW extended their zone more than any game they've played this season, to minimize the damage of Norvell's shooting and Perkins passing. They were willing to give up the high post, and we took advantage for the most part by allowing Rui to go to work, and Clarke, although BC's shot and shot selection were off. I doubt Brandon Clarke had ever seriously played vs a roaming zone like that in his career.

Norvell seemed hesistant to me, almost limited. I do wonder if he's dealing with left knee issue/soreness, because he would jump stop and/or cut on his right leg but not his left in the UW game. Kinda protecting it. No noticeable issue prior to Creighton game. He seems to be moving well while running, so I suspect its minor, and just needs rest and ice.

Then there was our defense:

Sleep walking. Gassed. Lackadaisical.

We worked our butts off vs Creighton, covering their excellent passing and shooting. That game and tough win took a toll on us. Physically and emotionally.

I don't have a great feeling about this Tennessee game. Moreso the timing than anything. Tennessee is one of maybe two teams that are relentless at attacking. They have a frontcourt combo unlike we've seen, including Duke, as they are stronger overall and experienced. They are muscled up, and fast twitch, and aggressive.

I'm not sure our mindset is right on defense to slow them down, and could see us overwhelmed at their aggression, strength, and size. We need Tillie for this type of game to take more chances in the paint.

Tennessee draws fouls at a high clip due to their attack mentality.

They are clearly one of the best teams in the NCAA this season. Not just another Top 10 team, but a bona fide title contender.

Tennessee has two weaknesses -- inconsistent 3pt shooting and lapses on interior defense.

Their offensive rebounding is intimidating. Their quickness for their size is elite. Their confident swagger, aggression, and mentality can blow you out before you know what happened.

Grant Williams will definitely "get his". He is a bowling ball of quick post moves and ability to shoot or get to the rim. Their SF is 6'6", 250 of pure strength and a nice shot. The other interior player is 6'11", and has put up big #'s this year as a Senior.

Tough to contain them. Kansas could not. Jayhawks trailed most of the game before Grant Williams fouled out and Tennessee shot 25% from 3pt. Still went to OT.

Our best chance is Tennessee missing from 3pt land, and GU winning the foul trouble race. Otherwise their depth, quickness, & our current state isn't ideal for this type of opponent.

We will need a Duke-like effort to beat them, imho. We are capable, but I just don't like this game at this particular time. I'd have no problem facing them come Tourney time though.
    Last edited by Goshzagit; 12-08-2018 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    Zags have never lost a road game I have attended, so I share your Karma
    Hope you and GrizZAG send us pictures during the game...it will be a barn-burner...
    Zags 88
    UT 84

Ends up we're headed to Vegas for the NFR - rodeo. Leaving Sunday AM from Spokane and will be in the air during the 1st half of the game. Anyone know of a good sports bar in the Las Vegas airport?
    Kicking myself in the behind that we didn't plan all this sooner ..... could have planned the trip through Phoenix. Grrrrr
    Guess I'll cough up the $ for the airline Internet access to keep up on the score.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Ends up we're headed to Vegas for the NFR - rodeo. Leaving Sunday AM from Spokane and will be in the air during the 1st half of the game. Anyone know of a good sports bar in the Las Vegas airport?
    Kicking myself in the behind that we didn't plan all this sooner ..... could have planned the trip through Phoenix. Grrrrr
    Guess I'll cough up the $ for the airline Internet access to keep up on the score.
    I watched the zags beat OK state by one point at the Irish bar at the far end of the concourse. Convinced the devout Baptist sitting next to me to share a Guinness to celebrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    rewatched the UW game last night.
    I don't have a great feeling about this Tennessee game. Moreso the timing than anything. Tennessee is one of maybe two teams that are relentless at attacking. They have a frontcourt combo unlike we've seen, including Duke, as they are stronger overall and experienced. They are muscled up, and fast twitch, and aggressive.

I'm not sure our mindset is right on defense to slow them down, and could see us overwhelmed at their aggression, strength, and size. We need Tillie for this type of game to take more chances in the paint.

Tennessee draws fouls at a high clip due to their attack mentality.

They are clearly one of the best teams in the NCAA this season. Not just another Top 10 team, but a bona fide title contender.

Tennessee has two weaknesses -- inconsistent 3pt shooting and lapses on interior defense.

Their offensive rebounding is intimidating. Their quickness for their size is elite. Their confident swagger, aggression, and mentality can blow you out before you know what happened.

Grant Williams will definitely "get his". He is a bowling ball of quick post moves and ability to shoot or get to the rim. Their SF is 6'6", 250 of pure strength and a nice shot. The other interior player is 6'11", and has put up big #'s this year as a Senior.

Tough to contain them. Kansas could not. Jayhawks trailed most of the game before Grant Williams fouled out and Tennessee shot 25% from 3pt. Still went to OT.

Our best chance is Tennessee missing from 3pt land, and GU winning the foul trouble race. Otherwise their depth, quickness, & our current state isn't ideal for this type of opponent.

We will need a Duke-like effort to beat them, imho. We are capable, but I just don't like this game at this particular time. I'd have no problem facing them come Tourney time though.
    I've watched the Kansas vs Tennessee game 3 times now. I am not as impressed with them as you are. I don't think their front court is bigger and better than Duke, nor do I believe they could beat them. The Duke Williams is bigger and quicker than the Williams from Tenn. The centers from both teams are equally average. I was impressed how Rui et al defended Duke's Williams, and they certainly showed no fear at all. Tennessee does not have a player close to being as good as Duke's best player. And talk about attacking the basket, that's what Duke did all night long. Gonzaga has definitely played a team, imo who is better than Tennessee. As I said in my prediction post, Tennessee is a great team and this game will be close. It will be an all-out war. But Gonzaga is better. And they certainly will not worry about Tenn. Zags will not be tired.

I'm sure you remember that Kansas' center played less than a half a game because he was in foul trouble all night. As big as you think Tennessee is, they couldn't guard him. And the player who replaced him was as unstoppable as Williams.

What Gonzaga needs to do is simple: Follow the game-plan that the Zag coaches give them. Keep their focus on just playing our game. If we do that we'll win.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

GU 85 - 80. I hope.

Sports Illustrated take:

NO. 1 GONZAGA VS. NO. 7 TENNESSEE (IN PHOENIX)
    Sunday, 3 p.m., ESPN

This is the opening game of the Jerry Colangelo Classic in Phoenix this weekend, and not only is it the headliner out in the desert, but it’s the best game of the weekend. The top-ranked Bulldogs are undefeated this year, including that glittering win over Duke, while the Volunteers’ only loss came at the hands of Kansas on a neutral floor. With Rui Hachimura on one side and Grant Williams on the other, all eyes will be on the frontcourts in this game. Gonzaga has the top offense in the country by adjusted efficiency, scoring 121.9 points per 100 possessions. Tennessee, meanwhile, is in the top 15 in both adjusted offensive and defensive efficiency, and its balance, combined with its star power in Williams and Admiral Schofield, could be a problem for the Bulldogs. Having said that, the Volunteers haven’t seen an offense quite like Gonzaga’s this season.
    LINK

Just play well. It seems odd that a 9-0 team ranked at the top of the heap has been inconsistent. But, that is most assuredly the case. Duke game was marvelous, Washington not so much. Creighton was fabulous (especially the 2nd half), Illinois nope. Arizona sucked in the first half, second half was lights out.

A championship team needs to be relentless in it's effort and execution. Gonzaga has a different path than the other contenders. They have to gel much earlier because the meat of their schedule is before conference season. It's time. These next two games, win or lose, need to be played at a high level. No excuses. Including injury woes.

Gonzaga is better than Tennessee. And Tennessee is really good. I'm looking forward to 40 minutes of sustained execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Just play well. It seems odd that a 9-0 team ranked at the top of the heap has been inconsistent. But, that is most assuredly the case. Duke game was marvelous, Washington not so much. Creighton was fabulous (especially the 2nd half), Illinois nope. Arizona sucked in the first half, second half was lights out.

A championship team needs to be relentless in it's effort and execution. Gonzaga has a different path than the other contenders. They have to gel much earlier because the meat of their schedule is before conference season. It's time. These next two games, win or lose, need to be played at a high level. No excuses. Including injury woes.

Gonzaga is better than Tennessee. And Tennessee is really good. I'm looking forward to 40 minutes of sustained execution.
    Good post MB1

Who guards Williams?

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Who guards Williams?
    joint effort b/w Rui and Clarke. Rui can front him, while Clarke helps weakside. Just like they did vs Zion.

Clarke needs to put the 'fearful of foul trouble' defense aside. This developed during Creighton, will need to take chances/risks vs Tennessee.

Brandon has literally started second guessing every blocked shot after being whistled for several phantom fouls vs Duke. The aggression/rim protector needs to arise within again.

Can't sit back or they will blast you, esp Williams.

They don't have anyone to defend Rui either.

I'm hoping of course to see better play at both ends of the court, than in the last game.
    zags 91
    vols 88

GU- 84
    Tennessee-88

Zags 82
    Vols 79
    Hope to see Norvell doing damage from 3-pt line, with at least 20 points for the game.
    Again, hope to see Zags get at least 25 FT attempts and no more than 9 turnovers.
    This game has the smell of "March" about it. Should be a great one.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Zags 83
    Vols 81

They need to come out strong, confident, smart and aggressive like they did against Duke.

I don't know much about Tennessee, but our boys look tired recently. I hope they're rested enough to shine.

Of course I want them to win, but as a fan one of my favorite games was the Florida PK80 where Zags lost in OT but the game was played well and very fun to watch. I would like to see their best game of the season yet, win or lose.

Zags already had their clunker, regroup in the desert. Go Zags. Beat the Vols !
    GU - 82
    UT - 78

Coach Few will have a plan and a team ready to execute it. Controlled play, careful with the ball and the fouls. Frustrate Williams. Will take a great game to win, and Zags can do it, slingshotting themselves into Chapel Hill.

Zags 91
    Vols 79

Go Zags! Refuse to lose!

87-81 us

Zags-96
    Vols-90

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    joint effort b/w Rui and Clarke. Rui can front him, while Clarke helps weakside. Just like they did vs Zion.

Clarke needs to put the 'fearful of foul trouble' defense aside. This developed during Creighton, will need to take chances/risks vs Tennessee.

Brandon has literally started second guessing every blocked shot after being whistled for several phantom fouls vs Duke. The aggression/rim protector needs to arise within again.

Can't sit back or they will blast you, esp Williams.

They don't have anyone to defend Rui either.
    My thoughts too. However, I think it's coming from the coaches. Rather see him foul out with 25 minutes of ferocious D, than the timid, tentative version from the last couple games.