Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 148

Thread: Zags vs UW post game thoughts

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,241

    Default

    Our ball movement wasn't good, on the trips down the floor where we got good ball movement we had shooters all by themselves. UW plays more of a pressure, trapping-style defense, same as Syracuse, and when we moved the ball well it wasn't an issue at all, but we were so sluggish on many trips that it suffocated us.

    I am not taking a ton away from it. We looked like the worst team in the Big 10 against Illinois, and two days later beat Duke.

    I am worried that Perk is getting ground-up, also worried that some scouting is bearing fruit.

    UW played out of their minds, too, which probably shouldn't be forgotten, they hit some huge shots to get back in it, and then thankfully missed some easy ones that would've won it for them.

    We missed the bunniest of bunnies that would've put us back up 8 near the end when UW made their final run, and then had 2 terrible trips.

    Given the 2 terrible trips down the floor, the last play was wonderfully executed, and I actually expected a busted possession. It worked perfectly in that Rui had the shot and it it, BC was wide open for a lay-up, too.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    My overall thought: Zags grinding out a W despite playing poorly is most important thing. Every college hoops team comprised of 18-22 year olds will have games where they just play poorly; not every team will win those games but these Zags did. Congratulations Zags!

    Positive takeaways:
    - 100% free throw shooting
    - Rui in full Alpha mode
    - Petrusev effective on offensive end

    Needs Improvement:
    - Sustained, focused intensity missing on both ends. Zags passed around perimeter of the zone w seemingly aimless purpose on many possessions
    - Defensive variety: why not show some zone to change things up for stretches...particularly when Petrusev is in and becomes defensive liability in the switching man to man D
    - Kispert & Norvell shooting %. Every player has off games but these two key cogs are shooting 42% and 44% from the field.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    3,061

    Default

    Good win. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than smart. Have you ever seen a college game with 100 percent free throw shooting? I don't think I have.

    When our point guard is hitting his outside 3s or making smart entry passes we are golden. When he tries to penetrate deep against a team with quick athletic guards we are in serious trouble and every scout in the NCAA knows that. I use one of those "invisible fence" gadgets to keep my retriever from leaving the yard, and I am tempted to send one to Few and have him install it so that Perkins won't try to dribble past the 3 point arc.

    Beat the Vols!

    Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Next up...just like Illinois burn tape.
    Not good that there are ALREADY two burn tapes in the first nine games of the season.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Not good that there are ALREADY two burn tapes in the first nine games of the season.
    Not a coincidence that both played high pressure trapping Defense, either.

    But both "burn tapes" are victories, which is saying something.

    I think the biggest favor Duke did us was sit back into relatively conservative man to man.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    Few has Clarke & Rui so terrified of getting into foul trouble! They're so tentative on D compared to Maui it's crazy. Give me more minutes for Petrusev, and unleash Clarke & Rui to swat shots!
    This.

    Perkins even seems somewhat tentative on Defense all of a sudden.

    Clarke second guessing his shot block attempts. Sure, he is whistled for a foul every so often, but the 3 blocks to 1 foul is worth it. Momentum boost, transition opportunity, etc.

    The media and Coaches have been preaching how we need to be careful of fouls. The lack of aggression on defense has plummeted since Geno went down. Not necessarily because of Geno -- although a very good defender -- rather the lack of available depth.

    Coach Few was beside himself and playing with his belt the entire 4 minutes Greg Foster filled in for Perkins in Omaha, was seated just a few rows away.

    The defense, esp Rui and Clarke around the rim are protecting themselves, whether mental or coached, doesn't matter. Its directly effecting our perimeter defense as guards are not giving any thought to driving to or around the rim. This was evident vs Creighton as well. And was scouted by UW.

    Tennessee is very aggressive with the ball. They force you to foul or defend. They seek the hoop, both their bigs and guards, as they are inconsistent from 3 pt.

    We can't play tentative in Phoenix, since the Vols will not. We have to go all in to have a chance at winning. Foul trouble will be worth the risk.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,744

    Default

    I thought this was a really fun game to watch and we should give a lot of credit to UW. Sure we were a tad sloppy but coach only went 7 deep. It was pretty evident at half that UW was going to hang and Rui’s last shot is worth a a million bucks for his confidence.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,068

    Default

    Poor Dave Pasch.

    "What's your name?" "Did you go to high school?" "Do you have parents?"

    The most incredible stat from last night... he's been with Walton for 7 years!!!

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia Suburb
    Posts
    2,861

    Default

    Is it me, or Rui can really go to his left hand just as good as his right hand? He has really developed a full arsenal.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    I thought this was a really fun game to watch and we should give a lot of credit to UW. Sure we were a tad sloppy but coach only went 7 deep. It was pretty evident at half that UW was going to hang and Rui’s last shot is worth a a million bucks for his confidence.
    I think add to this that we were overly predictable in initiating the offense in the 2nd half and I agree with this assessment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,165

    Default

    Zags are 9-0 without Tillie and Geno...jeez ....I’m thrilled. Played a stinker and Huskies played well.

    Everyone knew Rui was gonna get the ball..played 40 min and delivered like the “mailman”!

    Defense sucked at times Huskies flopped at times but all our free throws went in....Rui played 40 min and made every free throw!

    Josh played 40 min and had O fouls that’s hard to do.)

    So so happy to be undefeated going to PHX. All I want for Xmas is more Petrusev.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,160

    Default

    It was un-fun to watch. Just sluggish and sloppy. Yes, a win is a win. The best thing about sports is, next game is a fresh slate. And like you, CEO, want to see more Petrol. Please, don't Collinize him.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chattaroy
    Posts
    3,719

    Default

    On the bright side was definitely the Zags FT shooting ......
    along with dang near 6 guys scoring in double figures. All accept Jones hit baskets although he contributed on rebounds and assists.
    Clarke was off his game - considerably .... and with 5 TOs.

    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    4,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Please, don't Collinize him.
    Good point. Would hate to see the Zags have a season work out the way it did the year Few blew it with Collins.

    I'm trying to remember whatever happened to that guy (after putting up with a year under the shackles of Mark Few)?

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richland, Washington
    Posts
    6,470

    Default

    Syracuse zone is tough.
    I miss Mike Hart

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Good point. Would hate to see the Zags have a season work out the way it did the year Few blew it with Collins.

    I'm trying to remember whatever happened to that guy (after putting up with a year under the shackles of Mark Few)?
    Two things can be true at the same time. That season worked out pretty well. Collins was the best big man they had that year.

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oakdale, CA
    Posts
    1,352

    Default

    It was hard to watch at times, but we got the win. Most important to keep it going. So now, we can assume UW would barely loose to the Cavaliers?

    A bit of overconfidence, a bit of a trap game, a bit to much home cooking, a bit of the large target on our backs, a bit of playing without intensity, a bit of frustration with their zone....many factors.

    Take the win, step up Sunday in Phoenix and drop the Vols. All will be good on the board again.

    Go Zags - Beat the Vols!!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robzagnut View Post
    Poor Dave Pasch.

    "What's your name?" "Did you go to high school?" "Do you have parents?"

    The most incredible stat from last night... he's been with Walton for 7 years!!!
    ...and when Dave passes on and meets St. Peter at the pearly gates he will here him say...."come right in, you've already been to hell"
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 77Zag View Post
    It was hard to watch at times, but we got the win. Most important to keep it going. So now, we can assume UW would barely loose to the Cavaliers?

    A bit of overconfidence, a bit of a trap game, a bit to much home cooking, a bit of the large target on our backs, a bit of playing without intensity, a bit of frustration with their zone....many factors.

    Take the win, step up Sunday in Phoenix and drop the Vols. All will be good on the board again.

    Go Zags - Beat the Vols!!
    I wonder if Clarke and Norvell prepared for this game by checking their position on the mock NBA drafts?
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Good point. Would hate to see the Zags have a season work out the way it did the year Few blew it with Collins.

    I'm trying to remember whatever happened to that guy (after putting up with a year under the shackles of Mark Few)?
    +1000

    You actually have to go out of your way factually and mentally to come up with the conclusion that Few mismanaged Collins. Factually, both in his only year with Gonzaga and actually to this day, Collins struggles with foul trouble. Kind of like in both the national semi's and the national championship game. On top of that, he played behind the winningest college basketball player of all time. Its kind of an exasperated, throw up your hands kind of moment when this false and frankly stupid narrative comes up.

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    +1000

    You actually have to go out of your way factually and mentally to come up with the conclusion that Few mismanaged Collins. Factually, both in his only year with Gonzaga and actually to this day, Collins struggles with foul trouble. Kind of like in both the national semi's and the national championship game. On top of that, he played behind the winningest college basketball player of all time. Its kind of an exasperated, throw up your hands kind of moment when this false and frankly stupid narrative comes up.
    Sez you. Happy holidays, Doggie.

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    4,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Two things can be true at the same time. That season worked out pretty well. Collins was the best big man they had that year.
    Impossible to say what would have happened if Few had benched the winningest player in the history of NCAA Division 1 hoops (and winner of the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Award as the best center in college basketball) in favor of the freshman .... GU's first 5 star recruit McDonald's All American (directly out of high school).

    Would they have won at Arizona? Don't know. Would they have won 5 games in the dance (and had a chance to win that 6th game)? Don't know.

    Seems to me the bickering about Collins' horrific treatment at Gonzaga is petty and childish. That's what I think.

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Impossible to say what would have happened if Few had benched the winningest player in the history of NCAA Division 1 hoops (and winner of the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Award as the best center in college basketball) in favor of the freshman .... GU's first 5 star recruit McDonald's All American (directly out of high school).

    Would they have won at Arizona? Don't know. Would they have won 5 games in the dance (and had a chance to win that 6th game)? Don't know.

    Seems to me the bickering about Collins' horrific treatment at Gonzaga is petty and childish. That's what I think.
    "Horrific?" A bit over the top, GZ.

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    This.

    Perkins even seems somewhat tentative on Defense all of a sudden.
    That's by design, a feature not a bug.

    With an aggressively defending/challenging Perkins, he will be almost certain to pick up a couple fouls and have to sit out late in games. That's been shown to be a larger problem than having him in for every minute of every game and playing more conservative defense.

  25. #100

    Default R-E-L-A-X

    Zags missing 2 of their top 6 players.
    Rue, Clarke, and Perkins had to stay out of foul trouble.
    Played a well coached, very athletic Pac12 team.
    In the middle of a grueling non-conference schedule.
    Got the win.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •