Thread: Oregon Wbb Commits Violations

Default Oregon Wbb Commits Violations

Wbb bits and pieces from the NCAA:

Oregon commits violations in men’s and women’s basketball, women’s track and field, and football
    December 5, 2018 12:00pm
    Emily James

In the women’s program, the assistant strength and conditioning coach impermissibly participated in on-court activities, which caused the program to exceed the number of allowable coaches. Similarly, in the men’s program, the director of basketball operations impermissibly participated in and observed voluntary workouts.

Women’s basketball

The women’s assistant strength coach participated in on-court activities both during and after practices, including stepping into drills at the head coach’s request. The head women’s basketball coach explained during the committee’s infractions hearing that the on-court activities started with a lapse of judgement and then became more frequent. The committee noted the women’s head coach admitted he knew it was impermissible for the assistant strength coach to participate. The panel noted that the head women’s coach took full responsibility for the assistant strength coach’s actions during the hearing.

The assistant strength coach also participated in voluntary student-athlete workouts. The head women’s coach was not specifically aware of the assistant strength coach’s participation in the workouts but acknowledged that he “kind of assumed” it was happening, according to the committee.

The participation by the assistant strength coach caused the women’s basketball program to exceed the number of allowable coaches and gave the program a competitive advantage of an extra coach, the committee said.

The committee found the head women’s coach failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance and failed to monitor his staff. In its report, the committee said it appreciated the coach’s candor at the hearing and his admission to lapses of judgement. But the head coach’s disregard for the rules about impermissible coaching activity did not set the proper tone for compliance in his program, the committee added.

Penalties

Division I membership-approved infractions penalty guidelines were used to prescribe the following measures:

- Two years of probation from Dec. 5, 2018, through Dec. 4, 2020.

- A two-game suspension for the head women’s basketball coach during the 2018-19 season.

- A two-year show-cause order for the director of men’s basketball operations. Any NCAA member employing him during the period must require him to attend the 2019 and 2020 NCAA Regional Rules Seminars. Oregon took appropriate disciplinary measures, so the committee did not include any other restrictions.

- A vacation of records in which the track and field student-athlete participated while ineligible. The committee uses this penalty to hold the university accountable for allowing a student-athlete to complete while ineligible.

- The men’s basketball program must reduce the number of countable coaches by one at regular practice for five hours during the 2018-19 season (self-imposed by the university).

- The women’s basketball program must reduce the number of countable coaches by one at regular practice for 10 hours during the 2018-19 season (self-imposed by the university).

- A $5,000 fine plus 1 percent of each of the men’s and women’s basketball budgets.

Members of the Committee on Infractions are drawn from NCAA membership and members of the public. The members of the panel who reviewed this case are Norman Bay, attorney in private practice; Jody Conradt, retired head women’s basketball coach and special assistant to athletics at Texas; Thomas Hill, senior vice president emeritus at Iowa State; Jason Leonard, executive director of athletics compliance at Oklahoma; Eleanor W. Myers, chief hearing officer for the panel and law professor at Temple; Vincent Nicastro, deputy commissioner and chief operating officer for the Big East Conference; and Sankar Suryanarayan, university counsel at Princeton.
    Link to the complete article: https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...d-and-football

Disappointing.

ZagDad

Interesting. Road games coming up against Michigan St. and South Dakota St. before returning home for a big match up with Mississippi St. Then a couple more cupcakes before conference play begins. Does Oregon get to choose when his suspension is served?

Not much more than a slap on the back. I thought they might be barred from post season play.

Didn't Randy Bennett get more game suspensions for less egregious "failure to supervise" issues? Plus, I thought they lost some scholarships and an assistant coach got fired. Oregon's penalties seem pretty light.

I think RB was accused of some recruiting violations which are more serious than the Duck Wbb violations.

It appears that the violation was an assistant coach participating in voluntary student athlete work-outs which is a relatively minor violation. So I am not too worked up about the penalties leveled on the Wbb program. However, since KG admitted, he assumed the assistant strength coach was participating in the voluntary student-athletes and he admitted he knew this participation was against the rules and yet he still allowed it to continue, I would have thought the penalties given to KG would have been much stronger.

The only way to avoid this kind of behavior is to make the punishment so bad, that it would cripple the program if it continued. Slaps on the wrist just go to encourage more bad behavior, IMO.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    I think RB was accused of some recruiting violations which are more serious than the Duck Wbb violations.

It appears that the violation was an assistant coach participating in voluntary student athlete work-outs which is a relatively minor violation. So I am not too worked up about the penalties leveled on the Wbb program. However, since KG admitted, he assumed the assistant strength coach was participating in the voluntary student-athletes and he admitted he knew this participation was against the rules and yet he still allowed it to continue, I would have thought the penalties given to KG would have been much stronger.

The only way to avoid this kind of behavior is to make the punishment so bad, that it would cripple the program if it continued. Slaps on the wrist just go to encourage more bad behavior, IMO.

ZagDad
    But pales in comparison to some SEC football recruiting violations continuning and some of the recruiting violations (pay to land a recruit) in power 5 mens basketball. NCAA would never touch the money programs. They can't seem to role in the big names in mens basketball in recruiting violations.

I think they got a 100 thousand dollar fine out of the WBB budget but what does that mean. A donor can donate 100 thousand out of his wallet to pick up the difference and they are not a poor school. I think Graves may be traveling to Mich. St and South Dakota by vieweing his twitter but the school has an excuse of a 15 day appeal window right now so he could be out for the cupcake games around christmas. I think his assistant Campbell is more than capable of head coaching. This is the guy that got Oregon state going with their recruits before he came on staff with the ducks. Probably a future heir or head coach in the making. Personally I think they should heavy fine the coaches salary wise in this case. Why punish the kids for coaches inactions.

Quote Originally Posted by northwest1 View Post
    But pales in comparison to some SEC football recruiting violations continuning and some of the recruiting violations (pay to land a recruit) in power 5 mens basketball. NCAA would never touch the money programs. They can't seem to role in the big names in mens basketball in recruiting violations.

I think they got a 100 thousand dollar fine out of the WBB budget but what does that mean. A donor can donate 100 thousand out of his wallet to pick up the difference and they are not a poor school. I think Graves may be traveling to Mich. St and South Dakota by vieweing his twitter but the school has an excuse of a 15 day appeal window right now so he could be out for the cupcake games around christmas. I think his assistant Campbell is more than capable of head coaching. This is the guy that got Oregon state going with their recruits before he came on staff with the ducks. Probably a future heir or head coach in the making. Personally I think they should heavy fine the coaches salary wise in this case. Why punish the kids for coaches inactions.
    In big dollar sports, it has been shown time after time, fines simply won't work. KG gets a 100K fine, UO simply gives him 100K bonus for winning 20 games. In pro sports, owners pay the fines the players get. In Nascar, the owners pay the fines the drivers get. To work, any penalty has to take something of value away from the team. Keep the team out of the conference and/or NCAA tournament, ban the player for numerous (not 1 or 2) games, in Nascar, they have suspended drivers for numerous races making the owner have to answer to their sponsors.

In the face of today's 8-, 9+ figure budgets, 5 & 6-figure fines just do not mean anything, particularly to big name programs. You have to hit them where it hurts.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by northwest1 View Post

Campbell seems like a guy that is really impressed with himself. I do remember him trying to take most of the credit for what OSU had become a little while after he went to Oregon. Rueck and staff have done more than fine since Campbell left, and Graves certainly had a good track record before Campbell joined his staff.