Thread: College Insider Top 25 Mid-Major Wbb - Updated 12/4/2018

Default College Insider Top 25 Mid-Major Wbb - Updated 12/4/2018

The Lady Zags big win against Stanford has propelled them into the #2 ranking, jumping them over Buffalo. The WCC is reasonably represented with the Lady Zags at #2, St Mary's at #15 and BYU at #22. LMU is receiving votes (39 votes, #30) as is Santa Clara (5 votes, #42). Future opponent Idaho is also receiving votes with 36 votes and coming in at #32.

Article Link: http://www.collegeinsider.com/womens...jor-top-25.php

Just to keep all of the poll information under one heading, here is a link to the AP Top-25 and USA Today Coach's Top 25 Polls. This link allows you to scroll through the AP, USA Today, and current Wbb RPI rankings and when it first comes out in February, the Top 16 Committee rankings in one place. Just go to the box just above the rankings which initially says NCAA Women's Basketball RPI and you can select which poll you want to look at.

We all realize that the RPI really is a poor evaluation tool and the Mbb are going to the NCAA "NET" system. I don't think the Wbb are going to NET this year and are still planning on using the RPI for tournament evaluation purposes. If anybody knows differently please let the board know. Thus, like it or not, the RPI ratings may have some (maybe big) impact on the Selection Committee, so it bears keeping an eye on this rating.

Currently mid-majors are very well represented (those with good OOC schedules and wins) in the RPI ratings but keep in mind that when the conference schedule hits, the RPI values will drop for most mid-majors because of the quality of opponents. As far as mid-majors go, currently South Dakota has the lowest RPI at #9, with Drake at #11, South Dakota State at #17, Lamar at #18, Gonzaga at #19 & IUPUI at #24. Other teams of note, Stanford at #25, Pacific at #46, St. Mary's at #57, Montana at #63, Pepperdine at #75, Portland at #78, and LMU at #80. The RPI ranking lists all 351 D-1 Wbb teams, so it provides some interesting, if not necessarily very accurate, data. Note that at the time I posted this link, the RPI and AP polls have been updated for this week, the USA Today poll referenced at the link has not been updated with today's new poll.

NCAA Poll Link (AP, USA Today & RPI): https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...basketball-rpi

Link to current USA Today Poll until the NCAA link is updated: http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa.../coaches-poll/

ZagDad

Question ZagDad... what makes a university a mid-major? Can a university be a mid-major in women’s sports and the top level in men’s? Are the GU men’s BB team still considered mid-major?

The term "mid-major" traditionally refers to the conference within which a team plays, not an individual school. For example, GU Mbb is certainly not a mid-major program, but it plays in a mid-major conference. If you look at the program benefits, program budget, charter flights, etc. all are typical benefits not available at most mid-major universities. The Zag Wbb actually have it pretty good.

From Wikipedia:

"Mid-major is a term used in American NCAA Division I college sports, especially men's basketball, to refer to athletic conferences that are not among the so-called "Power Five conferences" (the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC), the Big East, the American, the Atlantic 10, and the Mountain West. These conferences are sometimes referred to as "high majors" by comparison. The term "mid-major" was coined in 1977 by Jack Kvancz, head coach of Catholic University's men's basketball team. Such a distinction is not officially acknowledged by the NCAA, nor does the NCAA use the terms "major" and "mid-major" to differentiate between Division I athletic conferences. It is considered offensive and derogatory by some fans and schools".
    For me personally, I typically consider The Big East in the Power Conferences in basketball but not in football or other sports. So on this board I will refer to the P-6 conferences including the Big East as opposed to the P-5 traditional power conferences. To each their own.

According the College Insiders, they consider the following as mid-major conferences:

The Mid-Major Poll is made up of teams from the following conferences: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Horizon, Independents, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Summit, Sun Belt, West Coast, Western Athletic.

As you can see, College Insiders also does not include the Big East, the American, the Atlantic 10, and the Mountain West conferences as mid-major conferences.

Hope this helps,

ZagDad

Perfect... Thanks ZD

Power, high major, mid-major... What the men did is pretty special. Would love to see the women do the same.

Go Zags!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    Perfect... Thanks ZD

Power, high major, mid-major... What the men did is pretty special. Would love to see the women do the same.

Go Zags!!
    I would guess the Lady Zags are probably 10+ years behind the men. I think the Wbb program backslid a little with the coaching change. Nothing due to CLF directly but when the program loses its head coach and more than half of its coaching staff and has that same lost coaching staff recruiting in the same region against them, the program, not unexpectedly, slid a little until CLF and her coaching staff got her feet back under her. I don't think the Wbb program is entirely all the way back to where it was in KG's last year, yet, but it is getting really close and this could be the year.

If CLF can take the program to the next step of routinely winning at least a 1st round game in the NCAA tournament and occasionally a 2nd round game (getting to the sweet 16), I will consider the Wbb program above where it was when KG left and back on track to following in the GU Mbb tracks to national exposure and non-mid-major recognition.

ZagDad

I’m with you...

I think the last two years of recruit classes show that CLF could be turning the corner. The NCAA article commented on the scoring of the bench... this coming years group could very well be as strong.

If CLF can keep her coaching staff together, things could be going in the right direction.

Time will tell...

Go Zags!!

.. this coming years group could very well be as strong.
    We lose a lot after this year (LS, CS and ZR) but we have a lot coming in. Starting line-up could be JL at point, KC at #2, JT at the #3, JW at the #4 and Anna at the #5. We might be a little light on experience at the point and #2 but the Truong twins will provide freshman back-up in addition to JT and LF. We should be fine at the wing with JT, and Kylee coming back from injury and JW/LW helping out. At the #4 and #5 we have Anna, JW, LW, MK, and the new Aussie. Our starters should have equal or better fire power, equal or better defense but the team may not quite the same amount of experience coming off of the bench at least early in the year.

Stacy Clinesmith went down to Houston and watched the Truong Twins play tonight. She posted on her twitter account that the twins scored more than 50 points between them tonight.

The future is looking bright indeed.

ZagDad