Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zags vs Vols Pre-Game Media

Default Zags vs Vols Pre-Game Media

The Gonzaga board seems like a bunch of classy people and very knowledgeable about basketball...It's gonna be a fun game and a real test for our guys.
    Gonzaga is a fantastic program. Watching them beat Duke the other night was impressive. Well-coached. Extremely talented.
    https://www.volnation.com/forum/thre...e-vols.299182/

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...9_GONZAG@TENN/

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ee-volunteers/

https://247sports.com/college/tennes...eam-125796134/

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401082978

http://www.talkingstickresortarena.c...angelo-classic

https://allfortennessee.com/2018/05/...rites-gonzaga/

The Vols will be a real challenge wonder how many Vol fans will attend.

Yes we can do 2 things at once. Nothing wrong with fans looking ahead. Don't like it don't read it until Wednesday night. Thanks for being positive.

SI Roundtable: Teams That Surprised and Disappointed in the Season's First Month

Discussion of Sunday's game in last segment, "Will Tennessee earn the signature win it couldn't against Kansas when it faces Gonzaga in Phoenix on Sunday?"
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

My daughter's leading college right now is UT Knoxville. We visited the campus this last spring. Knoxville is a lovely small city, reminds me a lot of Spokane, but it is definitely a Southern town. Need to know your whiskey cocktails and don't expect anything, coffee shops to be included, to be opened on Sunday mornings until after church services have completed. Very welcoming, though. We had an Uber driver that was a former UT football player, he took us on a personal tour of the campus and surrounding area once he heard my daughter was looking at the school. The admissions department needs to hire him!
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Lotsa work CEO@ Much appreciated.

Where else she looking? Shot at UVA?

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    My daughter's leading college right now is UT Knoxville. We visited the campus this last spring. Knoxville is a lovely small city, reminds me a lot of Spokane, but it is definitely a Southern town. Need to know your whiskey cocktails and don't expect anything, coffee shops to be included, to be opened on Sunday mornings until after church services have completed. Very welcoming, though. We had an Uber driver that was a former UT football player, he took us on a personal tour of the campus and surrounding area once he heard my daughter was looking at the school. The admissions department needs to hire him!

The national lovefest for Michigan is nauseating. Duke 2.0. I get it’s a great school, a big school and that Bee-line is hailed as a great coach with mediocre players. But enough is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    The national lovefest for Michigan is nauseating. Duke 2.0. I get it’s a great school, a big school and that Bee-line is hailed as a great coach with mediocre players. But enough is enough.
    Have you actually watched them play this year? I think they have what it takes to win it all. I believe they were decent last year also. I don't care for the coach but this team is the real deal if they stay healthy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Where else she looking? Shot at UVA?
    Heading up to Philly to visit LaSalle and Villanova this weekend. UVA in the spring.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Seeing this thread gives me bad jujus. Just saying.

Lots of fun stuff to read. Thanks, Zagceo for your diligence in putting it together.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Heading up to Philly to visit LaSalle and Villanova this weekend. UVA in the spring.
    That's a big difference between the types of schools. Kind of like comparing University of Washington and Gonzaga. My niece went to UT at Knoxville for her doctorate.

My daughter also toured Villanova as part of her college selection process (other main options in addition to Villanova were Boston College, Gonzaga, Creighton and UCLA). Her description of Villanova was it was essentially Gonzaga transplanted 2,500 miles East. She loved the school, and the school loved her and wanted her to complete her application which they would have accepted on the spot. Her biggest negative was that Villanova is about 20+ miles from Philly and in her major (BS Nursing) she would have had to drive everywhere to do her clinicals.

She decided that Villanova offered nothing more than Gonzaga and when combined with her lifetime desire to be a Zag, lead her to Gonzaga.

Wish you and your daughter good luck with her college selection process.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    ZAGCEO
    thanks a million for these links, I know it takes a lot of time to find and assemble these
    great discussions of upcoming game

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    Have you actually watched them play this year? I think they have what it takes to win it all. I believe they were decent last year also. I don't care for the coach but this team is the real deal if they stay healthy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Well, to be fair, they did play for the National Championship...so yeah, I would say they were "decent" last year.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    That's a big difference between the types of schools.
    And price of tuition.

Be hard to go wrong with that line-up, though.

College towns in the south are fantastic, near all of them. But, yeah, run out of gas on Sunday morning and you're walking a while. Need a beer on Sunday and you're going to be real thirsty.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    And price of tuition.
    An interesting side note. When I was applying to colleges and receiving scholarship offers, tuition assistance, etc. I found that I could go to WSU (Washington State) and live on campus for almost exactly the same amount of money as it would cost to go to Gonzaga and live at home.

30 years later when my daughter was applying for colleges, she found out that after applying all of her grants, scholarships, etc., that she could go to WSU and live on campus for almost exactly the same amount of money it would cost out of pocket to live at home and go to Gonzaga.

Imagine that.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    Seeing this thread gives me bad jujus. Just saying.
    Me too
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    Vols took a week off to prep for GU? Sheesh.
    Meh, only 1 more day than GU is taking off before the UNC game. Not uncommon for a major non-con test.

Almost enough to lose your edge.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Some peeps are looking past washington.

SI College Hoops

Verified account

@si_ncaabb
    3h3 hours ago
    More
    Can Tennessee hand No. 1 Gonzaga its first loss this weekend? Our writers break down the matchup http://go.si.com/iuqGkeR

Could it be that, to a certain extent, WSU is a state supported institution while Gonzaga is not?

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Me too
    Ditto ..... I wasn't about to post on it until the purple dust settled ....
    Would love to see the Zags win in Phoenix. Made a dash to Phoenix to watch the championship game. Would love to see the Zags come away from Phoenix with their last game in town being a win. I'm hoping the team has some takeaways from last night that'll put something into their play on Sunday.

From the SB Nation site... like The Slipper Still Fits site only for Tennessee!

Tennessee Volunteers vs. Gonzaga Bulldogs: What To Watch For

4. How will they contain the Zags on offense?

I don’t really know if you can actually contain Gonzaga’s offense. Even with a limited stockpile, Mark Few still finds ways to win at the highest level.

Yves Pons may be the key here. He has stepped it up defensively. His size and athleticism should match up well with Hachimura Jr and Brandon Clarke. Pons will need to lock down the high post against Hachimura Jr, where he is lethal.

Regardless, it will take an entire team effort to keep the Zags from scoring more points than the Vols. They did struggle with Washington’s zone defense, so that should bode well for the Vols considering how much zo4. How will they contain the Zags on offense?

I don’t really know if you can actually contain Gonzaga’s offense. Even with a limited stockpile, Mark Few still finds ways to win at the highest level.

Yves Pons may be the key here. He has stepped it up defensively. His size and athleticism should match up well with Hachimura Jr and Brandon Clarke. Pons will need to lock down the high post against Hachimura Jr, where he is lethal.

Regardless, it will take an entire team effort to keep the Zags from scoring more points than the Vols. They did struggle with Washington’s zone defense, so that should bode well for the Vols considering how much zone they like to play.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    From the SB Nation site... like The Slipper Still Fits site only for Tennessee!

Tennessee Volunteers vs. Gonzaga Bulldogs: What To Watch For
    having not watched much vols hoops outside of the kansas game i'm wondering how much zone they tend to play? i suspect whatever the answer is we'll see a heavy dose of it this sunday, but is that a pretty standard defense they run a lot?