Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zags vs Vols Pre-Game Media

As much as I love that the team is undefeated and holding onto that #1 ranking, in the grand scheme of this season if they can win one of the next two games that's all we really need. A loss to either is more than offset by the W over the Dookies.

It would not surprise me if they dropped the game to Tennessee and had to bounce back against UNC. The lack of depth is really taking a toll on consistent defense as well as offensive execution, both of which is going to be needed for a full 40 minutes on Sunday

That said, if X-Factor Norvell goes off from the perimeter we can and should win both games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Sweet! Go Zags! Have a great time there CEO!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Sweet! Go Zags! Have a great time there CEO!
    thx Zagger

Phoenix.... 66 Saturday.... 68 Sunday...team will heat up with the weather

from Vols board

Spent some time this morning looking at advanced stats for Gonzaga and Tennessee this morning...

Gonzaga:
    Avg ORTG: 125.1
    Avg DRTG: 99.5

Tennessee:
    AVG ORTG: 110.9
    Avg DRTG: 83.5

If you meet Zags ORTG halfway with Tennessee DRTG you get 104.3, if you meet Tennessee’s ORTG halfway with Zags DRTG you get 105.2....so on paper this matchup is pretty damn even, the question is going to be can Tennessee’s defense be good enough to bring Gonzaga down around that 104.3 number, which would be a season low for them, if not then Tennessee’s offense is going to have to be better than usual.
    https://www.volnation.com/forum/thre...ington.299625/

Quote Originally Posted by rennis View Post
    As much as I love that the team is undefeated and holding onto that #1 ranking, in the grand scheme of this season if they can win one of the next two games that's all we really need. A loss to either is more than offset by the W over the Dookies.

It would not surprise me if they dropped the game to Tennessee and had to bounce back against UNC. The lack of depth is really taking a toll on consistent defense as well as offensive execution, both of which is going to be needed for a full 40 minutes on Sunday

That said, if X-Factor Norvell goes off from the perimeter we can and should win both games.

Think you'll see BC bounce back. Something to prove.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

The Vols bigs are WAY more athletic than UW's. They will press hard and zone to give us grief. If we get the inside out going on offense and run run run, we win.

classic fan oooops

Just bought tickets today... This will be the first game of the Rick Barnes era that I have attended and I am feeling pretty pumped about knocking off #1 on Sunday. It's going to happen, gang!!!!
    TBA is going to be rocking! It will have an impact!
    TBA is Thompson Boling Arena home of Tennessee

the rest of the story

https://www.volnation.com/forum/thre....299608/page-3

classic fan oooops

the rest of the story

haha! That's a funny read. Poor guy / girl. Must have jumped off the bandwagon without following closely.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

classic fan oooops

the rest of the story

Ouch.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Beat Tenn. on Sunday and then let's worry about UNC.

As they used to say in my AA group, one drink at a time. Or something like that.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    Beat Tenn. on Sunday and then let's worry about UNC.

As they used to say in my AA group, one drink at a time. Or something like that.

Go Bulldogs!
    I expected a tough fight against Washington and it was. These games build a team for March. Thybulle was the key player for Washington playing tough D up top and shooting the lights out in key moments. Games like this puts me in the AAB group, Another alcoholic beverage. Washington's effort on shutting down the three ball was really effective.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

Agree with you.,Being number one is a big curse. Every team that has been in that position gets gassed (as we saw in the end of Creighton and even Dook). A loss here and there, especially during pre season is a good. You want these guys rested and aggressive going into the Tourney, not gassed. No one remembers the season if you bomb in the Tourney. No one. No one will ever forget that UVA was the first number one to lose to a number 16. This will go down in infamy. I remember a top rated Michigan State team that got bounced by a nobody in the first round. No one remembers their good season, only the crying afterwards by Izzo and Valentine. I am not trying to rub it in. This is what is remembered. Certainly playing time should be spread around during the conference season and against lesser opponents. The Zags have not been doing this of late and they should especially when they are down two players for at least three more weeks.

classic fan oooops

the rest of the story

That's kinda' scary.

Do you suppose this guy ran around barefoot before Velcro was invented?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    That's kinda' scary.

Do you suppose this guy ran around barefoot before Velcro was invented?
    Always appreciate your posts, 50. I need a new keyboard now. Uh, thanks!

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Defense has been the lone weak spot this season for junior forward Grant Williams.
    ...interesting

also can't believe a story about #1 vs #7 teams facing off in NCAA type environment can't get away from talking about assistant coach search for Vols...football schools are really FOOTBALL schools

With Tennessee football’s offensive coordinator search nearing two weeks and Vol Nation struggling to understand why, the hoops team knocking off the nation’s top-ranked Gonzaga Bulldogs would bring us some positive news that I think everyone in Knoxville would appreciate right now.

hadn't heard this one before

Gonzaga’s is a more appealing destination for foreign players than it was when the “Eiffel Rifle” fired his first shot. The school now has a Global Bridge Program, which enables international students to develop English efficiency while earning credits at a discounted tuition rate.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sport...er/2187856002/

didn't Koach say he'd like a week to prepare against Zags? Underwood had a thick notebook filled with offensive sets to study...Barnes says nothing new to see here

Fortunately for the Vols, as good as Gonzaga is, Mark Few’s Bulldogs don’t do anything especially complex on offense. They do what they do, and they’re extremely good at it. They have the nation’s most efficient offense for a reason. But it’s not overly complex, and most of Tennessee’s players are familiar with it.
    “Gonzaga is not doing anything from a scheme standpoint really,” Barnes said. “Mark’s teams have always been very, very good. Extremely well-coached on both ends. They know what they’re looking for. That’s a major thing when you’re playing against his teams. They put the ball inside. He adjusts like any coach would with what he has. They are a terrific offensive team and they are very sound defensively.
    “The coaches do a good job of scheduling,” he said. “I think they understood with the teams that we were playing or had played up to this date, how our bodies would be feeling, so it might be nice to have this week stretch of no games. I think that it’s up to them. I’m ready to play any time we need to play, and I feel like the other guys on the team are, as well. We just got done playing a talented team that runs kind of a similar offense to Gonzaga, and that was a scheduling thing, I feel like. The coaches did a great job with that.”
    and vice versa.....Washington Tennessee back to back

https://247sports.com/college/tennes...aga-125988140/

“When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Sort of off topic but I didn’t want to start a new thread. I found this at https://www.rockytoptalk.com/2018/12...ck-barnes-zags

It’s their rules for posters.

Sense of Humor. Required.

Decorum. Discussion is good. Disagreement is good. Trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are . . . not so good. Pretend you’re in the room with whoever you’re talking to or about. If you’d hesitate to say it in person, don’t say it here.

Profanity. It doesn’t have to be all fairy tales and princesses around here, but let’s keep it PG, please. Editors have unrestricted access to the Fulmerizer™, a proprietary device designed to substitute one of a list of former coach Phillip Fulmer’s favorite G-rated alternatives for dirty words.

Criticism of players and coaches (and bloggers and commenters). Hey, have at it. It’s what fans do, right? Just keep a couple of things in mind as you’re venting. First, you just might regret critical words when you find out after the season that the guy you were hounding all year was waging a private battle with cancer or something the whole time you were critiquing him from the comfort of your couch. Second, each coach and player should be viewed as one of Roosevelt’s “”http://www.rockytoptalk.com/story/2008/2/22/75218/3703">doers of deeds," who “if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.”

Rivals. Gator fan? ‘Bama fan? Fan of any other team? Welcome! Seriously. Come on in and join the discussion. You can even talk a little smack as long as it’s good-natured.

Material. Don’t rip anybody off. If you find something somewhere else and want to post it here, quote an excerpt and link to the source. It’s only right.

They have a beefed offense than our defense... so far anyway. This one we can lose on defense. They play defense. Our transitional game will be tested. I do hope Josh and Norvell are prepared for west viginia type harassment.