Page 85 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3575818283848586878889 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 2320

Thread: 2020 Jalen Suggs: Verbal Commit on 1/3/20

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    But will he be NWG 2.0?
    Suggs as a freshman v. NWG as a Junior?

That is big question Jazz.. As a Zag fan I am looking for that in Jalen as a freshman. I know that the odds may be against me but winners find a way to win and J. Suggs may be the guy. With the talent surrounding him next year, it is not that big of a stretch IMO.

Go Zags!!!

I'm hoping that Mr. Suggs plays like Pargo but can shoot much better from three and the same with NWG...it would have been nice if he had shot better as well BUT he did have other attributes.

Mr. Suggs is taller than either Pargo or NWG...and it would appear he is stronger than a typical freshman too...IMO

Pargo had the cold killer, take it to them every second attitude, NWG had the experience, maturity and leadership that gave him the ability to will a team to win, Suggs as a freshmen will be golden, but those two comparisons are not applicable for someone who has never played a second of high level D1 ball.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Pargo had the cold killer, take it to them every second attitude, NWG had the experience, maturity and leadership that gave him the ability to will a team to win, Suggs as a freshmen will be golden, but those two comparisons are not applicable for someone who has never played a second of high level D1 ball.
    I've not seen Suggs play but a few video shots here and there; however, IF he can be as assertive and aggressive as Pargo/NWG then he will be an impactful player...evidently he is a much better player as a senior then Pargo, because he is a 5* but it is what he does with that skill...understand that NWG was also a 5* in HS but didn't really blossom until he came to GU...will one summer & fall of tutelage under Coach and his staff make the difference for him to rise up and be the player we all hope he can become...

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    Why does he need to be?
    Wouldn't hurt. But I am hoping he's better than both out of the box. Not a big Pargo fan, lotta noise, not much progress. NWG was an elegant player, a leader. Skill wise I hope Suggsy is better.

Wouldn't hurt. But I am hoping he's better than both out of the box. Not a big Pargo fan, lotta noise, not much progress. NWG was an elegant player, a leader. Skill wise I hope Suggsy is better.
    I agree. Let's hope he's the best of both.

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Jalen would be a massive "get" for Few. Hope it happens. Jake W. says he wants to visit. A mere 2.5 hour nonstop flight.
    Just to remember the Beezer and how all this started.

Suggs 2nd team SI All American

https://www.si.com/college/recruitin...ggs-cam-thomas

Suggs won three state titles—which likely would have been four had the COVID-19 pandemic not canceled the state tournament this season—scored 2,945 points, grabbed 883 rebounds, dished out 735 assists, swiped 509 steals and swatted 103 shots.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Suggs 2nd team SI All American

https://www.si.com/college/recruitin...ggs-cam-thomas

Suggs won three state titles—which likely would have been four had the COVID-19 pandemic not canceled the state tournament this season—scored 2,945 points, grabbed 883 rebounds, dished out 735 assists, swiped 509 steals and swatted 103 shots.
    Bronny take the first four spots?

Is NWG’s game, Pargo’s athleticism and Pangos’ shooting too much to ask for?
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    Is NWG’s game, Pargo’s athleticism and Pangos’ shooting too much to ask for?
    Give me Perkins vision

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Give me Perkins vision
    And his unselfishness.

The dude is a top 5 recruit..

For reference these are the top 5 recruits this past year

James Wiseman
    Cole Anthony
    Isaiah Stewart
    Anthony Edwards
    Vernon Carey

All of them were major major impacts year one. Wiseman was until he got suspended. Anthony and Edwards will be top 5 picks this year. Carey was a 18 and 8 guy.

With all due respect to Pargo... I expect more NWG impact right away. Suggs is big time.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    The dude is a top 5 recruit..

For reference these are the top 5 recruits this past year

James Wiseman
    Cole Anthony
    Isaiah Stewart
    Anthony Edwards
    Vernon Carey

All of them were major major impacts year one. Wiseman was until he got suspended. Anthony and Edwards will be top 5 picks this year. Carey was a 18 and 8 guy.

With all due respect to Pargo... I expect more NWG impact right away. Suggs is big time.
    Also interesting that one of those teams would have made the tournament....

Also interesting that one of those teams would have made the tournament....
    More coincidence... Memphis would have made it with Wiseman.. Anthony would have made it if he stayed healthy.. Carey Made it.. Stewart and Edwards were surrounded with no talent.

And his unselfishness.
    Beyond his five star shooting/scoring ability the one other attribute I’m sure we’re going to get with Suggs is his unselfishness. Always loved that about Perkins. And it’s funny about the Pangos comparison, I was thinking a lot of the same things about KP after he signed with Gonzaga—he’ll be a play making pass-first point guard who shoots the lights out. I don’t remember but I would guess that Pangos was a four star recruit. And we all know Kevin was one of the best shooters we’ve had here, but I think that Suggs’ play making abilities combined with the scoring ability are going to justify those five stars of his.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    More coincidence... Memphis would have made it with Wiseman.. Anthony would have made it if he stayed healthy.. Carey Made it.. Stewart and Edwards were surrounded with no talent.
    I'll give you Memphis, but no way Carolina was making the tourney even with Anthony back. They went 4-9 with him back to end the year.

Anyway - I am pumped about Suggs, so this was more of an observation. I really hope we get Kispert and/or Ayayi back so that we have some experienced guys out there to guide these young guys.

Jalen Suggs Retweeted
    SLAM HS Hoops
    @SLAM_HS
    ·
    1h
    He must've done something to you
    @JalenSuggs2020
    . Exploding head

Make sure you catch JSuggs in our 6v6 COD tourney TONIGHT at 7PM EST: http://twitch.tv/slamftw

The 2019 recruiting class is WIDELY regarded as one of the WORST recruit classes in the past 25 years by most recruiting analysts. That must be taken into account when evaluating Suggs. It's a huge part of the reason why the 2019/20 college basketball season sucked this past year. There were ZERO great teams. As wonderful as the 2020 Zags were, they would've been demolished by the 2017 Zags. The freshman class was awful. It was a down year for college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The 2019 recruiting class is WIDELY regarded as one of the WORST recruit classes in the past 25 years by most recruiting analysts. That must be taken into account when evaluating Suggs. It's a huge part of the reason why the 2019/20 college basketball season sucked this past year. There were ZERO great teams. As wonderful as the 2020 Zags were, they would've been demolished by the 2017 Zags. The freshman class was awful. It was a down year for college basketball.
    Why must this be taken into account when evaluating Suggs?

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Why must this be taken into account when evaluating Suggs?
    Yeah - I don’t get it

Yeah - I don’t get it
    Me either...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Me either...
    I think he drunk butt dialed a few posts late last night

Gonzaga senior Jackson Frank (in his role as a reporter for The Athletic) has a lengthy story on Suggs at The Athletic which includes these passages / quotes:

“Picking Gonzaga, which has no football program, just helps me focus all my time and energy toward basketball for the time being, working my best to be as successful as I can.”
    Members of the [GU] program told him they’d do “everything in their power” to advance him toward his goals of being a one-and-done collegiate star and flourishing in the NBA. Suggs was drawn toward Gonzaga’s rich lineage of guard play. He admired that the offense is centered around pick-and-rolls, flanked by shooters on the perimeter. With his explosive slashing prowess and comfort with ball screens, Suggs was intrigued by the potential to be a lead guard in Spokane.
    “We called him ‘Savant of Basketball’ when he was really little because he could soak in information at a super young age,” Larry says. “He knew what sets people were running, he knew how to go over, under, a ball screen at, like, 5 five years old.”
    Suggs once spent time in an open court situation with Nigel Williams-Goss when NWG was at Findlay Prep. Of Goss, Suggs says:

Just really liked the way he played with so much poise and in control of what he was doing,” Suggs says. “That’s one big thing that I try to add to my game as well, is trying to be in control of myself at all times.”
    Evidence Suggs has no shortage of confidence can be found within this passage:

“They’ve always just been missing that one big superstar, that one big missing piece. I feel like I’d come in, fill that role and bring the Zags to a championship,” Suggs says. “And I tell you what, I definitely don’t want to leave Spokane without one.”
    Article Link: https://theathletic.com/1725212/2020...ational-title/

BTW: The Athletic is running a 90 day free trial offer. . .

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Thanks for the memories.

Great article and i'm excited to hopefully see him play next year. Youthful bravado is understandable, but it's hard, with a straight face, to claim that a single individually more gifted player would have been the difference between the Zags and winning a title. GU has had elite college players and in our 3-5 seasons with legit title chances, those players haven't been the missing piece of any puzzle. Some of GU's best best teams have had a player just as good, if not better, any individual player than the team to win the title that year or knock GU out of the dance.

Last year, with Rui and Clarke, we arguably had 2 superior college and pro players than anyone on 3 of the 4 FF teams, and anyone in the title game. In 2017 NWG was absolutely as good (or better) as a college player than anyone else in the FF or on the winning team (UNC). Maybe Dillon Brooks of Oregon was the best, at least as an NBA guy.

During Ammo's year we didn't lose to UCLA because Morrison wasn't "enough" of a sueprstar, and in the elite 8 in 2015 we didn't lose to Duke (the national champs) due to any single superstar. Sabonis and maybe Pangos that year were right there with any Duke player in terms of ability. Duke's "superstars" (Okafor, Winslow) were not even primary NBA bench guys and it was senior Pangos vs Freshman Winslow.

Again, I'm hopeful and excited that there will be a season and Suggs will play for GU, but I don't want to see him play hero ball out of a mistaken belief that championship level teams need to include a superstar playing at a level GU hasn't already had. Final 4 and championship teams often lack such a player, and there are only a handful each season.