Page 76 of 93 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 2320

Thread: 2020 Jalen Suggs: Verbal Commit on 1/3/20

I just donít get the overseas appeal. Zion signed a $75 million deal with Jordan before playing an NBA game. No way that deal is close to that figure if he was playing overseas last season instead of receiving all of the publicity he did playing for Duke.

Not that Jalen is Zion, or we are Duke in terms of publicity, but Jalen would be the face of a GU team that would certainly be Top 5 all year, likely #1 at some point along the way, and receive plenty of National pub. Especially if he leads us to the promise land. I get that $100K salary is a lot of money but just seems potentially short sighted. Iím not knowledgeable enough to know how much more development basketball wise there is, or isnít, by playing overseas. But RJ hasnít exactly been playing 30 minutes a game.

The early guys that did this (Brandon Jennings, Mudiay) did so due to academic eligibility issues, which I could understand. But obviously not my decision and wish him the best either way.

As the person who first brought up the overseas route option being a possibility, ill very sadly pat myself on the back.

This sucks. Team will still be loaded, but with Suggs, they were national champ front runners.

Suggs
    Ayayi
    Kispert
    Timme
    Ballo

w/ Harris, Strawther, Zacharov, Watson off the bench? Damn.

I will say the same thing I said when the pre commitment speculation was going on. If he comes to Gonzaga, I will support him completely. If he doesn't, I will wish him the best and move on. If he doesn't come, I'd imagine we would bring in a grad transfer PG for next season without much issue. Considering Suggs is definately not staying more than one year anyway, we just need to make sure the position is covered for 2020/21 season.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Jalen plays one year in college at Gonzaga. I'm just not going to freak out if he doesn't. He has to do what he thinks best, even if the overseas option has not seemed to be that successful for previous kids going there. I personally think the exposure for one year is huge in building a brand for a player.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    As the person who first brought up the overseas route option being a possibility, ill very sadly pat myself on the back.

This sucks. Team will still be loaded, but with Suggs, they were national champ front runners.

Suggs
    Ayayi
    Kispert
    Timme
    Ballo

w/ Harris, Strawther, Zacharov, Watson off the bench? Damn.
    Might want to read comments from CDC in basketball forum. Sounds like rumors being made up by some in Minnesota.

There is no reason for roasting anyone, regardless of outcome. Caldy provides great intel. Things change. By golly, I change my mind sometimes too.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    There is no reason for roasting anyone, regardless of outcome. Caldy provides great intel. Things change. By golly, I change my mind sometimes too.
    Amen. Caldy is a *****..

man I get tired of reading how one freshman player will take us to a national championship and all the hand wringing over will he wont he. Kid is good, but hes no NBA player coming down to lead a NCAA charge across all of basketball world. When he gets to GU and makes freshman mistakes, I wont be as surprised and dismayed as a lot of other people will.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    man I get tired of reading how one freshman player will take us to a national championship and all the hand wringing over will he wont he. Kid is good, but hes no NBA player coming down to lead a NCAA charge across all of basketball world. When he gets to GU and makes freshman mistakes, I wont be as surprised and dismayed as a lot of other people will.
    +1, I couldn't have said it any better.

hooter, did you watch the game against Sierra Canyon?

Nah not the whole thing. I watched maybe 20 minutes or so of it in chunks and yes he is good and was playing with and against good players so its not like it was an inflated view with him being leaps and bounds more talented than everyone else on the court. Im saying he is not a seasoned veteran of high level D1 college basketball and the expectations being set are so automatic just because of his national ranking and profile that there is going to be a lot of head scratching the first time he plays like the 17 year old he is.

Nah not the whole thing. I watched maybe 20 minutes or so of it in chunks and yes he is good and was playing with and against good players so its not like it was an inflated view with him being leaps and bounds more talented than everyone else on the court. Im saying he is not a seasoned veteran of high level D1 college basketball and the expectations being set are so automatic just because of his national ranking and profile that there is going to be a lot of head scratching the first time he plays like the 17 year old he is.
    Just about all freshmen are like that. Most everyone needs time to adjust to NCAA D1 level play and Suggs will get there at some point. Our staff is too good not to get his game set straight by the important games.

Even NWG made some bad decisions in the first month or so trying to figure out how Few wanted him to run the offense.

However, it's no reason to downplay a top 10 recruit. He will have a big impact on our success next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagSwag View Post
    I'm curious as well.

Is there anyone on the board with in depth knowledge on international professional leagues that could provide some insight?
    Granted I'm (we) are bias in this situation, but it just doesn't seem like playing overseas for a one year $150k contract and being out of the public eye is long-term more financially beneficial than playing at a premier college program domestically.

I think most people would agree if someone like Zion (who earned cult-like status in his one year at Duke) had chosen to play a year in Australia instead that he would be nowhere near the household name he has become.
    The magical number is and has been $500k to go overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    The magical number is and has been $500k to go overseas.
    Question for you or someone else with knowledge on the subject.
    Why would an Australian team pay half a million dollars for a relatively unknown HS player? There doesn’t seem to be much name recognition and many times the teenagers have a hard time getting on the court vs 28 year old men. Honest question.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Question for you or someone else with knowledge on the subject.
    Why would an Australian team pay half a million dollars for a relatively unknown HS player? There doesnít seem to be much name recognition and many times the teenagers have a hard time getting on the court vs 28 year old men. Honest question.
    Forgive my ignorance but one might think the Australian economy is struggling at the moment due to the fact 99% (rounded up maybe haha) of the dang continent is or has been on fire.

Itís hard to imagine the ROI is better playing overseas, even if itís 500000 for a year. Unless he truly believes this will help his draft stock. Looking at it objectively, unless you hate school and really need the money playing overseas just isnít worth it.

He is actually 18 and will be 19 in June. He is 13 months older than Ballo.

he's really good, but he's not expected to be a transcendent talent or even top half of the lottery guy, though he could prove otherwise. strong great athlete overall, but lacks elite length and doesn't have the high end quick twitch like a morant, very few do.

it's really rare for freshman pg's to come in right away and dominate...i think nico mannion is a decent comp for suggs and he's been solid but unspectacular for zona, struggling with his shooting more than expected, though possibly injury related.

if you look at the best pg's in the game right now, many are sophomores who were 5 stars in 2018...ashton hagans, devon dotson, tre jones...so if suggs comes and stays for a second year, that's more likely when you could start talking about him leading the zags to a natty. all those guys faced some sort of struggle their frosh year's, like what mannion has been going through.

I've been wrong plenty of times but Suggs doesn't look like a 1 and done. I'll be really surprised if he doesn't stay for at least 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    I've been wrong plenty of times but Suggs doesn't look like a 1 and done. I'll be really surprised if he doesn't stay for at least 2 years.
    I agree. He reminds me so much of Nick Johnson, who played at Arizona from 2011-14. Johnson is currently playing in Europe. So much of the NBA stuff is projectability (see Jaden McDaniels, Cam Reddish, etc) based on body type, that I don’t see Suggs as a high lottery guy. I think he’d benefit greatly from a couple of years at GU and could slip into the oblivion heading overseas. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    I agree. He reminds me so much of Nick Johnson, who played at Arizona from 2011-14. Johnson is currently playing in Europe. So much of the NBA stuff is projectability (see Jaden McDaniels, Cam Reddish, etc) based on body type, that I don’t see Suggs as a high lottery guy. I think he’d benefit greatly from a couple of years at GU and could slip into the oblivion heading overseas. Just my opinion.

Not quite as highly rated but it’s a good comp.

As a senior in 2010–11, he averaged 24.8 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4.7 assists per game as he led Findlay to a 28-4 record. He was ranked as the No. 40 overall prospect in the country and the No. 8 shooting guard by Rivals.com to go with a scout grade of 96 by ESPN.com. He went on to be named a Long Beach Press-Telegram Best in the West first-team selection.

We all have our opinions. I see a very good HS player who will be a very good college player (hopefully) and a very likely NBA player. Point guards are the hardest to project out.

He reminds me of Russell Wilson. He doesn't appear to be moving fast but he is. So calm. Reminds me of the old Wooden quote, "Be quick but don't hurry." Dude is always in control.

Would be 4th best guard on this year’s team.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Would be 4th best guard on this year’s team.
    Boom!

Experience and the natural maturing and developing that happens as the years go by matter.

I really don't understand why people now start to speak badly of this young man. You know nothing of the situation, you are owed nothing.

Wooden's quote should have been "Thank god for Sam Gilbert, and all of his money"

Wow, some of you are quite frankly...not smart. He is absolutely a one and done and a transcendent talent at GU. Like no point guard we’ve had before, as a freshman. He’s currently projected as the 18th pick in the 2021 draft...before he’s even taken a step on a college floor. Get it together people.