Page 63 of 93 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 2320

Thread: 2020 Jalen Suggs: Verbal Commit on 1/3/20

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ing-college-d/

Although Florida, Florida State, and Iowa State are in the mix, Suggs has not stepped foot on their campuses. I would imagine, of course, that he's seen Minnesota being that it's his hometown team. Meanwhile, Suggs have visited GU 2x. This baby appears to be a slam dunk unless some team overseas produced an offer he couldn't refuse in recent days. And that's maybe a 1% chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    Next year we are going to have a massive hole at the guard positions. Suggs is most likely going to be asked to play 30 mins a game next year and with his pedigree of being a top 10 recruit, I don't think it's that outlandish to expect 10+ ppg from him. The staff, Suggs, and fans are all expecting a big year next year if he commits to GU and I don't believe these expectations are unfair.
    I don't know that we will have a hole at the guard position really. If Suggs comes aboard (I expect he will), we will have him with Ayayi and Davis. No, I don't think Ayayi is turning pro after this year. They will probably add one other guard to the roster that would be able to contribute as well since we will have at least one more open spot and maybe as many as three.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Strawther will probably be playing at the three spot more often than not.
    He will be competing for minutes at both the shooting guard and small forward positions. Combine that with Harris and Suggs and the point is that limited minutes will be available for a transfer.

Not to mention Ayayi. Which is criminal of me to leave him out of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I don't know that we will have a hole at the guard position really. If Suggs comes aboard (I expect he will), we will have him with Ayayi and Davis. No, I don't think Ayayi is turning pro after this year. They will probably add one other guard to the roster that would be able to contribute as well since we will have at least one more open spot and maybe as many as three.
    I think we are saying the same things here. Without Suggs = massive hole. With Suggs = we have a 3 man rotation at the guard spots in Suggs/Harris/Ayayi with probably a 4th body brought in to soak up minutes or a high level grad transfer and everyone plays closer to 20 minutes.

We need five versatile, serviceable guards any given year. Fouls happen, injuries happen. Our three guard rotation this year WILL bite us at some point.

It's the most, wonderful time, of the year!

Tonight's commitment will be a continuation of an escalating program, and is bigger than just having a high end talent running the point for us next year.

From Ronny breaking the international barrier, to Kelly setting the standard for GU redshirting, to Jeremy and Josh choosing Gonzaga and seeing the value in Few's system as a PG, to Byron and Eric setting the stage for impact grad transfers, to Zach and Drew choosing Gonzaga over the blue bloods, there have been a lot of huge moments during Gonzaga's rise.

Jalen, and his pairing with Dom and Julian, is absolutely the next step. Dom's selflessness to help recruit top end talent out of his passion to bring GU a championship is a game changer. Getting our first top 10 recruit would be the top of the mountain.

We've been climbing for 20+ years. The fact that we have continued to rise and have avoided a stumble has put us in position to fearlessly recruit anyone we want in the world with confidence. I am confident that pairing Mark Few and his staff's coaching and development with the highest end talent that aligns with Gonzaga is destined to lead us to our first championship.

For the first time in this journey, we would be entering the era of sustaining. What a time to be a Zag. Jalen knows it, just like the other former, current and future players know it. As a fan, I know it, too. I trust that our fanbase will spark the charge to help our program reach the pinnacle with optimism and enthusiasm. This year's theme is "hungry dogs hunt best." I'm so glad our program is run with confidence and fearlessness, and the fans that match that mindset will absolutely overtake those still fearfully plodding along with their head down with their tail now between their legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post

Tonight's commitment will be a continuation of an escalating program, and is bigger than just having a high end talent running the point for us next year.

From Ronny breaking the international barrier, to Kelly setting the standard for GU redshirting, to Jeremy and Josh choosing Gonzaga and seeing the value in Few's system as a PG, to Byron and Eric setting the stage for impact grad transfers, to Zach and Drew choosing Gonzaga over the blue bloods, there have been a lot of huge moments during Gonzaga's rise.

Jalen, and his pairing with Dom and Julian, is absolutely the next step. Dom's selflessness to help recruit top end talent out of his passion to bring GU a championship is a game changer. Getting our first top 10 recruit would be the top of the mountain.

We've been climbing for 20+ years. The fact that we have continued to rise and have avoided a stumble has put us in position to fearlessly recruit anyone we want in the world with confidence. I am confident that pairing Mark Few and his staff's coaching and development with the highest end talent that aligns with Gonzaga is destined to lead us to our first championship.

For the first time in this journey, we would be entering the era of sustaining. What a time to be a Zag. Jalen knows it, just like the other former, current and future players know it. As a fan, I know it, too. I trust that our fanbase will spark the charge to help our program reach the pinnacle with optimism and enthusiasm. This year's theme is "hungry dogs hunt best." I'm so glad our program is run with confidence and fearlessness, and the fans that match that mindset will absolutely overtake those still fearfully plodding along with their head down with their tail now between their legs.

Just need to weed out the street alumni who are a terrible representation of the fanbase...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Better advertising would be actually making real games available on a clear internet link or site of any kind, instead of hiding them under a bushel. Shame on the AD.
    one ponders why you are not engaged in CEO material as a marketing and or basketball as your constant complaints indicate to me that you feel you can do better...missed calling in life?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    Just need to weed out the street alumni who are a terrible representation of the fanbase...
    Wow, what a magnanimous POV. They teach you that at GU?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    one ponders why you are not engaged in CEO material as a marketing and or basketball as your constant complaints indicate to me that you feel you can do better...missed calling in life?
    Long time ago, I was. Thanks for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Seth Curry isn't nearly as good as Steph. I'm hoping for something in between.

If our starters are:

Suggs
    Ayayai
    Kispert
    Watson/Timme
    Petro/Ballo

Then I would expect that Suggs would be our leading scorer. Probably around 15 ppg
    By this time next season, I honestly do not feel this would be our "best" lineup. It'd be our most "experienced" lineup, no doubt, yet not our most talented long term imo. Nor our most "dangerous' lineup come Tourney time.

I do expect Petrusev to declare, Ayayi likely 50/50 too, yet thinking Joel sticks around 1 more year.

A lot depends on Jalens commitment or not

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Julian must feel pretty confident.
    It’s Dom Harris’ birthday.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    I wonder which poster you're referring to.
    Drop the mike!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post

Followed by Chet commiting and GU signing the #1 rated recruit in the country.

An Alpha Dog who plays with an attitude and loves his team ---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3T_...ature=youtu.be

Better advertising would be actually making real games available on a clear internet link or site of any kind, instead of hiding them under a bushel. Shame on the AD.
    Might've done us a favor for prospective recruits not seeing last night's first half performance. Also, how is this, in any way, Mike Roth's fault?

Hello.

I'm post #1567.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Might've done us a favor for prospective recruits not seeing last night's first half performance. Also, how is this, in any way, Mike Roth's fault?
    Mike Roth is the athletic director at the school with the number one ranked team in the country. His school has driven the bus for any kind of national recognition that has come the WCC's way.

His influence in all things the conference does athletically dwarfs any other AD. He probably wields more power than the commissioner of the league and the concessions made to Gonzaga a couple years ago when they were flirting with the MWC pretty much proves it.

He needs to make a personal appearance at the Commissioner's office and demand an upgrade in the woefully inadequate streaming technology and threaten people with their jobs, up to and including the commish if it doesn't immediately become a professional product.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Mike Roth is the athletic director at the school with the number one ranked team in the country. His school has driven the bus for any kind of national recognition that has come the WCC's way.

His influence in all things the conference does athletically dwarfs any other AD. He probably wields more power than the commissioner of the league and the concessions made to Gonzaga a couple years ago when they were flirting with the MWC pretty much proves it.

He needs to make a personal appearance at the Commissioner's office and demand an upgrade in the woefully inadequate streaming technology and threaten people with their jobs, up to and including the commish if it doesn't immediately become a professional product.
    I get that, but why? Because Zag fans can't see the product? Nobody but Zag fans wanted to see a game against Portland that tipped at 10 eastern, and the games we care about the nation seeing are on ESPN.

Calling for the head of the man who oversees one of the most successful tenures of Gonzaga's athletic department (not just basketball, but tennis, crew, soccer, massive fundraising efforts) because we can't get our crappy stadium feed to work is absurd. There's certainly nothing "shameful" about his performance.

Hijacking in progress. Let's get back to Suggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post

To me it was such an ignorant question it wasn’t worth my pixels. But you nailed it.

I get that, but why? Because Zag fans can't see the product? Nobody but Zag fans wanted to see a game against Portland that tipped at 10 eastern, and the games we care about the nation seeing are on ESPN.

Calling for the head of the man who oversees one of the most successful tenures of Gonzaga's athletic department (not just basketball, but tennis, crew, soccer, massive fundraising efforts) because we can't get our crappy stadium feed to work is absurd.

Hijacking in progress. Let's get back to Suggs.
    Sigh. NO ONE is calling for his head. Just to get off his duff and do exactly what Mark has suggested.

Sigh. NO ONE is calling for his head. Just to get off his duff and do exactly what Mark has suggested.
    Jazz your are the Svengali of this board in your ability to derail threads...I bow to your greatness.

You called him shameful. That's a ridiculous assessment. He has more important things to worry about than whether Jazz can get a reliable feed of the Portland game.

You called him shameful. That's a ridiculous assessment. He has more important things to worry about than whether Jazz can get a reliable feed of the Portland game.
    AD was intended to mean athletic department. I should have been clearer.
    Last edited by jazzdelmar; 01-03-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    Jazz your are the Svengali of this board in your ability to derail threads...I bow to your greatness.
    Not too low, you’ll get lightheaded coming back up. Happy NY, Van.