Page 62 of 93 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2320

Thread: 2020 Jalen Suggs: Verbal Commit on 1/3/20

Just heard the latest news cast..."The Sky is Falling!" We are doomed!

Oh, Suggsmas is here and the train is pulling into the station...just not sure of the track it will be on...

Unfortunately seems to be on the "look at me" train with this production rather than the "team train". I'm loosing interest every week. Wonder if he'll be able to play selflessly within the system or not.

Is Suggs the end all talent really? I know he’s a great athlete but we’re expecting a Seth Curry or Peyton Pritchard it seems. Is he that level type player? I hope so because I’ve not seen this kind of support for a recruit before that I can recall. This borders on obsession. Can he live to OUR hype?
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    Unfortunately seems to be on the "look at me" train with this production rather than the "team train". I'm loosing interest every week. Wonder if he'll be able to play selflessly within the system or not.
    This you’re first noticing?

He is a solid leader who is a team player-- if you have not been following and watching him you would not be familiar with this -- please do not be making stuff up on his commitment day.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Is Suggs the end all talent really? I know he’s a great athlete but we’re expecting a Seth Curry or Peyton Pritchard it seems. Is he that level type player? I hope so because I’ve not seen this kind of support for a recruit before that I can recall. This borders on obsession. Can he live to OUR hype?
    Not to sound hyperbolic, but he better be a better player than both of them (college curry) for all the hype and recuiting stars

Quote Originally Posted by YankMyZAG View Post
    Not to sound hyperbolic, but he better be a better player than both of them (college curry) for all the hype and recuiting stars
    Curry was the NCAA scoring leader and a first team all american, no way he tops that. Some on this board have very unreasonable expectations of him for next year. Yes he is a top 10 recruit, but there are 9 others. Talk of him leading GU to a championship is absurd. If he wins a championship it will be as a part of a team, not him carrying GU. In the last 4 NCAA championship games 29 of the 40 starters were upper class men, 5 were freshmen. Freshmen get the hype because they have the talent to develop and become great NBA players, but upper class men are usually the better college players. Hes not a Carmelo Anthony or Anthony Davis type talent that will carry a college team. He would be GU's highest rated recruit ever and I think he will be a really good player, but expecting him to be better than Steph Curry, or even better as a freshman than senior Pritchard is expecting too much. I really hope he picks GU, but let's let him play a little before we expect all-American and champion.

Just realized the original post said Seth Curry, I thought it said Steph. I can see expecting better than Seth Curry.
    Last edited by bdmiller7; 01-03-2020 at 08:01 AM. Reason: I no read good.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    He would be the highest rated recruit in Zags history. Sure fire NBA player. Pretty sure that PP is a 4 year player, and if he had NBA talent, he would have been gone. Seth Curry is averaging 10 points per game for the Mavs. I would hope that Suggs is at least as good at that point in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Curry was the NCAA scoring leader and a first team all american, no way he tops that. Some on this board have very unreasonable expectations of him for next year. Yes he is a top 10 recruit, but there are 9 others. Talk of him leading GU to a championship is absurd. If he wins a championship it will be as a part of a team, not him carrying GU. In the last 4 NCAA championship games 29 of the 40 starters were upper class men, 5 were freshmen. Freshmen get the hype because they have the talent to develop and become great NBA players, but upper class men are usually the better college players. Hes not a Carmelo Anthony or Anthony Davis type talent that will carry a college team. He would be GU's highest rated recruit ever and I think he will be a really good player, but expecting him to be better than Steph Curry, or even better as a freshman than senior Pritchard is expecting too much. I really hope he picks GU, but let's let him play a little before we expect all-American and champion.
    Seth Curry isn't nearly as good as Steph. I'm hoping for something in between.

If our starters are:

Suggs
    Ayayai
    Kispert
    Watson/Timme
    Petro/Ballo

Then I would expect that Suggs would be our leading scorer. Probably around 15 ppg

Fair enough, but i wasn't clear. I don't think that he's expected to be better than senior Pritchard, but definitely better than freshman Pritchard. Curry may be a bad example because he is an all timer, but then putting Pritchard in the same category as him is ridiculous also. And if it was just Suggs it would be to much for him to single handedly lead the zags to a title, but with the other recuits and the potential returnees, a top 10 5 star player raises the excitement level.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Good enough for me.

I wanted to reiterate some detective work I did earlier. Points of fact:
    1. In the news broadcast the anchor man asked if he was going somewhere close that you can drive to.
    2. His coach said you can drive anywhere these days.
    3. I did some research and, come to find out, it's nigh impossible to drive across the ocean (I don't know if its the volume of the water, the sinkiness of cars, the lack of gas stations along the way, difficulty with getting google maps out there, or what).

I have thus deduced that he will not be playing overseas.
    I also want to point out that of the schools the announcer mentioned, Michigan was not among them, and Suggs didn't correct him. Hoping that means something, although correcting him would've shined a spotlight on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by YankMyZAG View Post
    Fair enough, but i wasn't clear. I don't think that he's expected to be better than senior Pritchard, but definitely better than freshman Pritchard. Curry may be a bad example because he is an all timer, but then putting Pritchard in the same category as him is ridiculous also. And if it was just Suggs it would be to much for him to single handedly lead the zags to a title, but with the other recuits and the potential returnees, a top 10 5 star player raises the excitement level.
    I can go with freshman Pritchard. Averaged 7.4 pts and 3.6 assists as a starter on a final four team. Pritchard was around 50 in most recruiting rankings. I could see Suggs being better than that. I also agree he will be a big piece of the puzzle with the rest of the talent. I wasnt trying to single out you're comments either, just seems to be some unfair expectations throughout this thread of the impact he will have his first year. Happens with every recruit, some do live up to the hype though.

I can go with freshman Pritchard. Averaged 7.4 pts and 3.6 assists as a starter on a final four team. Pritchard was around 50 in most recruiting rankings. I could see Suggs being better than that. I also agree he will be a big piece of the puzzle with the rest of the talent. I wasnt trying to single out you're comments either, just seems to be some unfair expectations throughout this thread of the impact he will have his first year. Happens with every recruit, some do live up to the hype though.
    Next year we are going to have a massive hole at the guard positions. Suggs is most likely going to be asked to play 30 mins a game next year and with his pedigree of being a top 10 recruit, I don't think it's that outlandish to expect 10+ ppg from him. The staff, Suggs, and fans are all expecting a big year next year if he commits to GU and I don't believe these expectations are unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    Next year we are going to have a massive hole at the guard positions. Suggs is most likely going to be asked to play 30 mins a game next year ...
    Something tells me that our young backcourt will get some experienced "Grad Transfer" help next season.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Something tells me that our young backcourt will get some experienced "Grad Transfer" help next season.
    Yep. If Ayayi left (which is possible, though I don’t see it happening), GU would be far too thin in the backcourt. That’s a scenario GU will need to plan for, and I have no doubt the grad market will be scoured.

Loads of kids do this, not sure why this is a problem. If anything this type of exposure is GREAT for our team. The more high profile, top recruits proudly proclaiming they are taking their talents to Spokane the better.

This is free advertising to other 5 Star recruits that we are one of the big boys.

This can do nothing but help with our recruitment of Holmgren, and Banchero

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    He is a solid leader who is a team player-- if you have not been following and watching him you would not be familiar with this -- please do not be making stuff up on his commitment day.
    Why would they stop now?

I sure hope so. How our roster shakes out for the 2020-2021 season is going to be very intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    Loads of kids do this, not sure why this is a problem. If anything this type of exposure is GREAT for our team. The more high profile, top recruits proudly proclaim they are taking their talents to Spokane the better.

This is free advertising to other 5 Star recruits that we are one of the big boys.
    This. I mean I get why some people think it is grandstanding... in a way... it is. But the flip side is this, hasn't his recruitment already been a major scene on this and likely many other boards? There are many people that want to know his decision... why not make it publicly? Honestly, for the kids, this is a major achievement and it should be celebrated. Heck high schools nowadays have "signing day" events for all the kids in the school that committed to play sports (at any college level).
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Loads of kids do this, not sure why this is a problem. If anything this type of exposure is GREAT for our team. The more high profile, top recruits proudly proclaiming they are taking their talents to Spokane the better.

Yup
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

ESPN headlines coming soon.

Go Zags!

I wonder which poster you're referring to.

Possible. Although, with the hype Suggs, Harris and Strawther have gotten, a transfer kid may look at it and see limited minutes. Not really what a transfer would embrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Possible. Although, with the hype Suggs, Harris and Strawther have gotten, a transfer kid may look at it and see limited minutes. Not really what a transfer would embrace.
    Strawther will probably be playing at the three spot more often than not.

Better advertising would be actually making real games available on a clear internet link or site of any kind, instead of hiding them under a bushel. Shame on the AD.