Page 71 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 1972

Thread: 2020 Jalen Suggs: Verbal Commit on 1/3/20

I believe Ayayi needs one more year. He still has his moments out there and could really benefit from one more year. Same scenario as Norvell, if Norvell wouldve stayed one more year he would be a lotto pick the next draft. I know ita hard when kids start hearing there name on the boards etc. If Suggs holds true next year will be fun, if not we will find a way.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    I believe Ayayi needs one more year. He still has his moments out there and could really benefit from one more year. Same scenario as Norvell, if Norvell wouldve stayed one more year he would be a lotto pick the next draft. I know ita hard when kids start hearing there name on the boards etc. If Suggs holds true next year will be fun, if not we will find a way.
    I think it's important for Ayayi to come back another year. He has really developed in the years he has been here, but IMO has still a lot of room to grow. Defense is one area for instance where I think next year he could really turn into a lockdown defender, be drafted in the 15th range. This year he looks like he will be a fringe first round pick. NBA guys really make money on their second contract, and staying and developing to me gives him the best shot at obtaining a nice second contract. Either way though, wish him the best of luck, really seems like he is a high character guy.

Ayayi is a 2 guard, a dang good one, but he is not an offensive facilitator, not a floor general. We need another back up point guard. preferably one that could play but even somebody that could redshirt and lead the second squad at practice. there just are no guarantees and fouls and injuries happen.

I think that Few has specific roles for most of his players based on the strengths of their talent. Ayayi has surprised most of us by his athleticism, speed and rebounding. It would not surprise me that JA could be a point guard if the need arose...

Go Zags

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Ayayi is a 2 guard, a dang good one, but he is not an offensive facilitator, not a floor general. We need another back up point guard. preferably one that could play but even somebody that could redshirt and lead the second squad at practice. there just are no guarantees and fouls and injuries happen.
    I would argue that he IS a facilitator. Woolridge(.138 assist/min) Ayayi(.137 assist/min). Tillie is a distant 3rd at .095 assist per minute. Gilder .079/min. It may not be his greatest strength(probably rebounding currently)but he is more than capable. The exciting part to me is thinking about the defensive possibilities. Suggs at 6-4 and Ayayi and a rangy 6-5 and Harris. Kispert?, Stawther, Watson, Arlauskas, Ballo, Petrusev?, Zakharov, Timme.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1970 View Post
    I would argue that he IS a facilitator. Woolridge(.138 assist/min) Ayayi(.137 assist/min). Tillie is a distant 3rd at .095 assist per minute. Gilder .079/min. It may not be his greatest strength(probably rebounding currently)but he is more than capable. The exciting part to me is thinking about the defensive possibilities. Suggs at 6-4 and Ayayi and a rangy 6-5 and Harris. Kispert?, Stawther, Watson, Arlauskas, Ballo, Petrusev?, Zakharov, Timme.
    If we could just get our hands up, we could even take advantage of the length!

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Even if Ayayai is here next year, that leaves us with only 2 PGs in Suggs and Ayayai. Dom is more a 2, but could slide over when needed. Corey is a 3, Strawther is a 3, maybe spot minutes at the 2? Watson is a 3. We definitely will need another guard next year to spell these guys and combat any injuries that happen throughout the year. If Ayayai does leave, and I expect that he will, we are extremely thin.
    I would put the odds of Ayayi going thru the draft process at 90% and the odds of him leaving at 10% from what I've heard. Granted I'm not anywhere near as connected as Caldwell or ZagBlue, but my information is usually pretty accurate. If Ayayi turned pro after this season, he's likely a 2nd round pick as he's not a true PG and has a lot of work to do.

from the article
    “You gotta put your kid in the best fit basketball-wise,” Larry said. “Gonzaga was the best fit. You watch it and replay it and basically all the ball screens and the offense coach (Mark) Few has made and tweaked, it all makes sense.”
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Norvell had no chance of being a lottery pick.
    MileHigh (Josh Perkins' former coach from Denver) posted here a long writeup about how Norvell was unlikely to even move up the board with a return to GU for a year.

I don't know the answer to this question, but I wonder who was the last 4-yr college player to go as a lottery pick. Norvell had already been in college for 3 years.

2 yearas ago Jalen Brunson was national player of the year and had been PG on 2 of the 3 previous national championship teams. He wasn't even a 1st round draft.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    MileHigh (Josh Perkins' former coach from Denver) posted here a long writeup about how Norvell was unlikely to even move up the board with a return to GU for a year.

I don't know the answer to this question, but I wonder who was the last 4-yr college player to go as a lottery pick. Norvell had already been in college for 3 years.

2 yearas ago Jalen Brunson was national player of the year and had been PG on 2 of the 3 previous national championship teams. He wasn't even a 1st round draft.
    Was it Timmy D?

How many GU guys had a shot at the first round, but came back for another year? It's rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    Was it Timmy D?

How many GU guys had a shot at the first round, but came back for another year? It's rare.
    There are many small 4-year guards in the NBA that went as lotto picks in recent years (Neil Olshey loves them). For big men, IDK.

People use the term “lottery pick” in different ways. Technically, I believe it is only those picks that are determined by the draft lottery, which I believe is only the first 4 picks. Before anybody does a bunch of research or argues a position, deciding on a definition of lottery pick would probably be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    People use the term “lottery pick” in different ways. Technically, I believe it is only those picks that are determined by the draft lottery, which I believe is only the first 4 picks. Before anybody does a bunch of research or argues a position, deciding on a definition of lottery pick would probably be a good idea.
    Everybody that misses the playoffs gets put into the draft lottery. So lottery means top-14. (and I'm pretty sure that is the pretty universal meaning these days)

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    There are many small 4-year guards in the NBA that went as lotto picks in recent years (Neil Olshey loves them). For big men, IDK.
    I'm curious who the "many" are. I'm not saying you're wrong, but couldn't find more than one, sort of. (and Olshey did draft him)

Lillard was a 4yr college player at Weber state and was picked 6th in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    Was it Timmy D?

Duncan was '97.

The year after that, 1998, the #1 draft pick was a 4-year player for University of Pacific! (Olowokandi) who was a big draft bus. The #3 guy that year was a senior as well.

I think the trend of top picks being overwhelming 1-2yr college guys has been more recent than those drafts 20+ years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Everybody that misses the playoffs gets put into the draft lottery. So lottery means top-14. (and I'm pretty sure that is the pretty universal meaning these days)
    His honorable judge Mr. Wikipedia rules in favor of JPtheBeasta in this case.

--------------------

------------
    Only the first 4 picks are determined by a lottery, and that lottery is played by all 14 teams to miss the playoffs. The lottery odds are inversely proportional to a team's W/L record, though it's not linear.

His honorable judge Mr. Wikipedia rules in favor of JPtheBeasta in this case.

--------------------

------------
    Only the first 4 picks are determined by a lottery, and that lottery is played by all 14 teams to miss the playoffs. The lottery odds are inversely proportional to a team's W/L record, though it's not linear.
    I think it's been more conventional to call all the picks allotted to non-playoff teams lottery picks and this goes back at least to 1990 Hoops basketball cards.

Reference.com agrees:
    https://www.reference.com/world-view...6dea92cb2b001b
    Agent provocateur

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    Shabazz Napier was drafted in the first round in 2014. I forgot about him.

It is the exception though.

The lottery picks are called lottery picks for the number of teams that are in the lottery with a chance to win the top overall pick, not the pick numbers that are directly determined by the lottery (though indirectly, the pick numbers change, based on who moves up, and thus some move down).
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Lottery is definitely top 14. Collins and Sabonis were lottery picks at 10 and 11 respectively. Top 4 are drawn from 14 non playoff teams, after top 4 the rest goes in order of record, but all 14 are in the lottery and at least have a chance at the top pick.

In the last 5 drafts out of 70 lottery picks 5 were seniors and 5 were juniors. There are exceptions, but in general to the NBA you dont get better as a junior or senior, you just get older. Norvell may have have been drafted if he had stayed another year, or he might not have been, but he almost assuredly would not have been a lottery pick.

Kelly Olynyk was a fourth year player who was picked in the lottery.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Kelly Olynyk was a fourth year player who was picked in the lottery.
    off the top of my head, frank kaminsky in 2015 and buddy hield in 2016 were both true seniors picked in the lottery

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    In the last 5 drafts out of 70 lottery picks 5 were seniors and 5 were juniors. There are exceptions, but in general to the NBA you dont get better as a junior or senior, you just get older. Norvell may have have been drafted if he had stayed another year, or he might not have been, but he almost assuredly would not have been a lottery pick.
    This. Kispert could just play himself into the lottery and become an outlier like Hield, Kaminsky, Olynyk if he sticks around and becomes consistent deadeye shooter from deep while improving his handles and eliminating the 1-2 bad TOs per game...but not sure that will suddenly happen in year 4.

OTOH, he may not enjoy as many mpg next season as Strawther could earn a significant role.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    This. Kispert could just play himself into the lottery and become an outlier like Hield, Kaminsky, Olynyk if he sticks around and becomes consistent deadeye shooter from deep while improving his handles and eliminating the 1-2 bad TOs per game...but not sure that will suddenly happen in year 4.

OTOH, he may not enjoy as many mpg next season as Strawther could earn a significant role.
    Don't forget that Few is still the coach. Seniors don't usually lose playing time to freshmen no matter how good the freshman is.

See Karnowski/Collins.