Page 90 of 93 FirstFirst ... 40808687888990919293 LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 2320

Thread: 2020 Jalen Suggs: Verbal Commit on 1/3/20

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I mean he kind of was wasn’t he? Even on his espn grandstand he said that he is looking at pro contracts. I Just took caldwells insistence and jalens ig hints to give me hope
    It wouldn't surprise me if he woke up this morning intending to sign with us tomorrow and then things changed within the past 5 hours. From the reporting that most of the Kentucky blogs are doing, it sounds like G-League personnel offered about 5 prospects some very large contracts earlier this afternoon.

Even if the money is $500k, who the F would want to play in front of the non-existent lights of the G league? Then again, I suppose the same could potentially be said for college basketball if fans can’t attend this fall.

One more thing, if the G league is truly offering $500k to Suggs, you better believe he is a lottery pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Caldwell is silent. I am scared. ��

Poof goes the pipe dream.

This young man has choices none of us at his age had to make. It appears his parents might be strongly directing his future path, that being the case one would hope they are different than the Ball's kids father, who IMO was more interested in making money of his children.

If he choses the "G League" over GU today, so be it. There was a time that I hated "one and dones" but then with all the money thrown at these KIDS is just crazy. Some of us older people on this board might not have made $500K in a lifetime of working and an 18/19 year kid can sign contracts worth millions. Heck, if a company offered me that kind of money at that age I'd quit college too and start the next phase of my life BUT hopefully with enough sense to have good people around me to assist in providing guidance.

Which of you wouldn't take the money at that age?

I don't like the idea of him making a possible last minute change in his decision but that is life. He merely gave his word that "IF" he went to college, he would be at GU BUT he could also go professional once again "IF" the contract was lucrative. The figure of $500K was thrown out there...that is a lot of money for one year and he could still be a Lottery Pick the following year...barring injury that is...
    Last edited by Bogozags; 04-15-2020 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    This young man has choices none of us at his age had to make. It appears his parents might be strongly directing his future path, that being the case one would hope they are different than the Ball's kids father, who IMO was more interested in making money of his children.

If he choses the "G League" over GU today, so be it. There was a time that I hated "one and dones" but then with all the money thrown at these KIDS is just crazy. Some of us older people on this board might not have made $500K in a lifetime of working and an 18/19 year kid can sign contracts worth millions. Heck, if a company offered me that kind of money at that age I'd quit college too and start the next phase of my life BUT hopefully with enough sense to have good people around me to assist in providing guidance.

Which of you wouldn't take the money at that age?

I don't like the idea of him making a possible last minute change in his decision but that is life. He merely gave his word that "IF" he went to college, he would be at GU BUT he could also go professional once again "IF" the contract was lucrative. The figure of $500K was thrown out there...that is a lot of money for one year and he could still be a Lottery Pick the following year...barring injury that is...
    Well put, Bogo. But of course it’s driven by his parents and of course it’s only about money. He chose drafty near empty Midwest gyms over big time CBB. And the money he will make is a pittance compared to what he will as a putative lottery pick. Whatever. To borrow from Pogo, we’ve met the fool and it is us. In fairness, the Suggs clan left plenty of Easter eggs strewn throughout this entire recruiting process. Particularly during his Jim Gray-Lebronesque ESPN announcement charade. Many here simply chose to ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    A small part of me almost wants Suggs to abandon GU just to see Jazz's resolute steadiness rewarded. And I mean that sincerely. I truly respect and appreciate Jazz sticking to his skepticism. (a bigger part of me wants to see the team and staff and Few+recruiters' hours not squandered)
    Pyrrhic.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Well put, Bogo. But of course it’s driven by his parents and of course it’s only about money. He chose drafty near empty Midwest gyms over big time CBB. And the money he will make is a pittance compared to what he will as a putative lottery pick. Whatever. To borrow from Pogo, we’ve met the fool and it is us. In fairness, the Suggs clan left plenty of Easter eggs strewn throughout this entire recruiting process. Particularly during his Jim Gray-Lebronesque ESPN announcement charade. Many here simply chose to ignore them.
    You're already claiming victory?

Do I hope it works out with Suggs, sure! Do i think if he comes he will be the messiah? No!
    I think Suggs is a top talent like all here and I think you have to recruit top talent! Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't.
    Do I think as a freshman he would be as good as NWG as a junior at Gonzaga? maybe but I dont think the %'s are in his favor. Can he do some things that NWG couldn't, no question about it! do those things traslate to more wins at the highest level of college basketball?
    We all get enamored with this top 10 player or high 5* rating and sure I would love to have him but Gonzaga has proven there is more than one way to skin a cat.
    This whole thing is frustrating but this is the way college basketball is evolving.
    Most top teams deal with this kind of stuff on a yearly basis.
    It is what it is.
    If it doesn't workout you have to find another piece and move on. You keep recruting at the top and it eventually works out.
    If Jalen Suggs chooses a diffrent path so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    You're already claiming victory?
    It’s not over till it’s over. And that cuts both ways. He could sign and leave on Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I mean he kind of was wasn’t he? Even on his espn grandstand he said that he is looking at pro contracts. I Just took caldwells insistence and jalens ig hints to give me hope
    That was far from the beginning of his recruitment.

Caldy must have fallen into the stream.

The news is only that he is getting recruited hard for the G-league, not that he has taken the offer. Still things don't look promising. You would imagine that the G league will do everything in its power to make these guys successful as the first cohort to do the special G league development program.

Oh no - say it ain’t so Jalen!

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Oh no - say it ain’t so Jalen!
    It seem so, but hey, we got sun and a flattening curve. Life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    No one would blame him if he was honest about his intentions from the beginning.
    I'm not sure $500k was on the table at the beginning, but none the less it was always stated that professional opportunities were being explored.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    I'm not sure $500k was on the table at the beginning, but none the less it was always stated that professional opportunities were being explored.
    Not so. Not in the beginning. Not when he said he was coming in October (I think that’s when the secretive verbal came). Not when we backed off on other (highly rated) recruits as a result.

Jalen Suggs has a plan, and it includes Gonzaga winning a national title -- By Jackson Frank Apr 13, 2020

https://theathletic.com/1725212/2020...VsMTcsyWxPeK08

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jalen Suggs has a plan, and it includes Gonzaga winning a national title -- By Jackson Frank Apr 13, 2020

https://theathletic.com/1725212/2020...VsMTcsyWxPeK08
    Nothing sadder than an old headline.

I still wonder if this was the case of the staff getting stars in their eyes when it came to a recruit. You do have to remember all the inside info we get on the board is from the perspective of staff. Sometimes the staff has a perspective that doesn't correlate with reality. Still lets hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    I still wonder if this was the case of the staff getting stars in their eyes when it came to a recruit. You do have to remember all the inside info we get on the board is from the perspective of staff. Sometimes the staff has a perspective that doesn't correlate with reality. Still lets hope.
    Thatís certainly possible. But letís put the responsibility where it truly belongs. The kid and his family played GU for half a year to fit their own ambitions. Period. Thatís life.

Sam Vecenie from the Athletic is doing a good job pointing out the pitfalls of a high school 5 star trying to develop into the G league. 6 figures it not worth the loss income from dropping one slot in the first round, let alone dropping out of the first. https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/stat...82039808389123

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    Sam Vecenie from the Athletic is doing a good job pointing out the pitfalls of a high school 5 star trying to develop into the G league. 6 figures it not worth the loss income from dropping one slot in the first round, let alone dropping out of the first. https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/stat...82039808389123
    That would be a damn shame.

An article from a Kentucky fan site giving some background on the G-league recruitment of top prep players. https://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...ucrative-deal/