Page 39 of 93 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Jalen Suggs: Verbal Commit on 1/3/20

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Means to the same end
    Probably does, but couldn't one be an illegal contact and the other just 2 guys talking?
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-guard-steward

Don't know if this impacts Suggs. Seems like Duke is set at guard.
    Gonzaga's main competition for Suggs isnt another University, it is him going overseas for a year and skipping college. In the last few months he has solidified with NBA folks that he is a guaranteed first round pick in 2021 draft. The signed LOI in November will lock him into Gonzaga if he goes to college, but Few and Co. will be on pins and needles as they will be unsure, until next spring, of whether they will actually have him enroll next fall

He is waiting to see how the R.J. Hampton "straight to the pros" deal works out for R.J. If it is positive , in relation to both development and ultimate draft position then I have heard he will go pro right out of HS, if not,that may convince him to do the traditional"one and done" thing at Gonzaga. He and R.J are good friends so by next spring he should be fully informed on the obvious positives and negatives one might experience as a young pro overseas.

Hampton has been blogging about his experience: https://usatodayhss.com/2019/the-r-j...dwich-and-more
    Last edited by MileHigh; 09-20-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    Gonzaga's main competition for Suggs isnt another University, it is him going overseas for a year and skipping college. In the last few months he has solidified with NBA folks that he is a guaranteed first round pick in 2021 draft. The signed LOI in November will lock him into Gonzaga if he goes to college, but Few and Co. will be on pins and needles as they will be unsure, until next spring, of whether they will actually have him enroll next fall

He is waiting to see how the R.J. Hampton "straight to the pros" deal works out for R.J. If it is positive , in relation to both development and ultimate draft position then I have heard he will go pro right out of HS, if not,that may convince him to do the traditional"one and done" thing at Gonzaga. He and R.J are good friends so by next spring he should be fully informed on the obvious positives and negatives one might experience as a young pro overseas
    This is not a promising development...

Thanks for the insight.

The fact that Suggs hasn't visited any other schools (officially) and is already coming back for his second official to gonzaga pretty much squashes any worry. From the people I've talked to they still have a huge battle to not lose Walker to Duke so I believe that is where they are doing there due diligence. That being said two things.

1. Gonzaga has two opening left for next year so they are still exploring talent that has open recruiting and traditionally we have been very good with guys like Karim Mane. Gonzaga also will need the most help at guard next year as they expect most/all the bigs to stay with the exception of Tille.
    2. Kessler is a stretch for us based on location. It is well excepted that Gonzaga is in the top 3 and IMO Gonzaga is easily the best fit for him. I can promise that the Zags will be pulling out all the stops for him and Suggs in two week.
    Number 2 is not fully accurate. Not trying to sound like Jazz, but...

Mane is a target, kind of for insurance, but also for the other open spot. Suggs will commit this fall and we will have another open spot.

He is waiting to see how the R.J. Hampton "straight to the pros" deal works out for R.J. If it is positive , in relation to both development and ultimate draft position then I have heard he will go pro right out of HS, if not,that may convince him to do the traditional"one and done" thing at Gonzaga. He and R.J are good friends so by next spring he should be fully informed on the obvious positives and negatives one might experience as a young pro overseas
    I agree with this narrative, but from everything I have heard is he will go to college for a year (maybe two, but highly unlikely).

Sure, but whenever I've interviewed for a job (or admission to school) I've tried to leave the strong impression that I was excited about working there (or enrolling there). Not that it's fake, I really was excited about opportunity X. I was also excited about opportunity Y though and just didn't mention it as much when talking to the opportunity-X folks.
    Last edited by Grand Valley Zag; 09-20-2019 at 12:46 PM. Reason: wrong "there" twice. Yikes

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Number 2 is not fully accurate. Not trying to sound like Jazz, but...

Mane is a target, kind of for insurance, but also for the other open spot. Suggs will commit this fall and we will have another open spot.
    Walker becoming more of a long shot?

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Karim Mane is a PG, so its in backup in case of Suggs going overseas as much as recruiting for the open slot.

I would be absolutely stunned if Jalen went overseas... certainly possible but if I were a betting man, I would put alot of money on him going to college in the states.

Referring to Caldwell’s post, not Mane.

About the same as its been the last couple months, We need a fantastic weekend with him. It will help having his potential teammates there but its a understatement when I say its going to be a uphill battle.

About the same as its been the last couple months, We need a fantastic weekend with him. It will help having his potential teammates there but its a understatement when I say its going to be a uphill battle.
    I would say long shot does not describe it and I think Kraziness will be a great weekend for the kids we have on campus.

I think I’m picking up what you’re putting down here. Thanks.

I think I’m picking up what you’re putting down here. Thanks.
    I can't come out and say exactly what I want to say, but there is a reason that last week when we visited with Kessler that Few was not actually there, as was reported, it was just Roger who has a great relationship with Kessler. Distance is hard and can be a barrier.

I always figured he’d visit since he legitimately sounded excited about us over the summer. When it gets closer to decision time obviously priorities can change. Alright this thread can return to Suggs.

I would say long shot does not describe it and I think Kraziness will be a great weekend for the kids we have on campus.
    Pass the pipe, Caldy.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Pass the pipe, Caldy.
    Jazz I am sounding more like you on Kessler than like me and you want me to pass the pipe?

I can't come out and say exactly what I want to say, but there is a reason that last week when we visited with Kessler that Few was not actually there, as was reported, it was just Roger who has a great relationship with Kessler. Distance is hard and can be a barrier.
    My understanding is Few wasn't there because of practices starting up?

My understanding is Few wasn't there because of practices starting up?
    Not exactly. Let's say I really hope I am wrong on this one, but I don't think I am.

Jazz I am sounding more like you on Kessler than like me and you want me to pass the pipe?
    Ha ha, the pipe works that way sometimes, C.

I will tell you though....it would be nice to land Kessler because at some point, if Gonzaga wants to elevate to the next level, they need to land an elite kid here and there from the opposite end of the country. I don't expect guys like Kessler to ever be the core of the roster, but it's good to pick off recruits from areas that aren't their usual recruiting zone.

I'd settle for the opposite end of the state (Paolo).

I'm assuming Hampton's success going "straight to the pros" would be measured after the draft, versus measured by what kind of season he has in NZ. In which case it would be summer already before he decides. Unless I'm missing something? That's a loooooong time to wait for a commitment from a senior.

So Kessler won’t be coming to Kraziness?