Page 31 of 93 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Jalen Suggs: Verbal Commit on 1/3/20

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I think you mean Jalen not Julian. And I don't think my main man Suggs
    will be making his decision based on Intramural.
    I bet if Gonzaga lands Suggs, Few is going to make that mistake more than once in practice. He'll call Julian Jalen and vice versa. It's just bound to occur.

Not sure if its been posted yet, but here is a good video on what Jalen's commit timeline looks like. He doesn't mention Gonzaga at all in it but that doesn't really worry me. Word on the street is more when he will commit to Gonzaga than if he will.

https://kstp.com/sports/jalen-suggs-...phers/5431017/

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I bet if Gonzaga lands Suggs, Few is going to make that mistake more than once in practice. He'll call Julian Jalen and vice versa. It's just bound to occur.
    Oh I am sure it will happen. Coached soccer for years. Had two kids whose names were nowhere CLOSE to each other (Alberto and Wilber)... yet for 2 straight years found myself calling one the other and vice versa. It would have been one thing if they looked alike... nope... one was a bit stocky, they other tall and thin.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

EYBL MVP Cade Cunningham (#2 player in 2020 class) vs. Under Armour MVP Jalen Suggs in Vegas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJEb2A9_7Nk&t=71s

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Didn't love all the turnovers, but this kid is going to be a star!

Suggs is a fighter, definitely see the football toughness show in his play.

AAU is bad for basketball. Exciting highlights but all 1 on 1, look at me and what I can do plays.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

I very very seldom watch AAU Basketball....don't even consider it real basketball....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I very very seldom watch AAU Basketball....don't even consider it real basketball....
    Yep. on one end of the court you see no defense individually or collectively. On the other end of the court you rarely see team engagement nor actions to make a teammate better
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Nice wins -- wins against the #2 player in the 2020 class and #2 player in the 2021 class.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Yep. It's worse than watching the NBA.

Any word on how the match up between Grassroots Sizzle and Dream Vision went? More specifically Suggs V Harris?

https://mobile.twitter.com/zagaholic...788672/photo/2

The boys hanging out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wow the lack of emphasis for defense makes those players not look so great.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    AAU is only good for highlight vids & exposure, nothing more.

Horrid basketball, more mix tape, playground type games 1 on 1, zero defense, little to none team fundamentals, & guard play is about scoring and only passing/managing when in a bind.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    You ought to watch a HS game when there is a top 25 kid and no other D-1 players around him. The coach instructs that player to not play ANY defense. They cannot risk him getting in foul trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Any word on how the match up between Grassroots Sizzle and Dream Vision went? More specifically Suggs V Harris?
    This is an interesting topic and would think someone on the board knows the answer...if they didn't play against each other fine but someone should know this answer...PLEASE...this is the off season and inquiring people want to know...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    This is an interesting topic and would think someone on the board knows the answer...if they didn't play against each other fine but someone should know this answer...PLEASE...this is the off season and inquiring people want to know...
    Harris already said that he was not playing in that tournament. He is out with injury. Even if the teams played each other, Harris wasn't playing

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Harris already said that he was not playing in that tournament. He is out with injury. Even if the teams played each other, Harris wasn't playing
    We thank you for the update...

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    AAU is only good for highlight vids & exposure, nothing more.

Horrid basketball, more mix tape, playground type games 1 on 1, zero defense, little to none team fundamentals, & guard play is about scoring and only passing/managing when in a bind.
    This is a really inaccurate generalization of grassroots basketball. It varies from program to program how much they practice how many sets they run etc. Sure, there are some teams that play what we call "my turn your turn" and just do ISO plays every time down court, but there are a lot of teams doing back cuts, pick and rolls, flex cuts, etc. And I have seen (and coached) many offensively marginal kids who have earned full ride scholarships based upon how they would lock up opposing players defensively on the circuit. With hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line and colleges coaches ten feet away evaluating these kids on their motor and defensive ability, most of these kids play harder D out on the circuit than they do in their HS games

If all you are watching are highlight videos of summer ball I could see how you might think it's all glorified pick up ball, but if you are in the gym week after week watching these games and how hard these kids play on both ends of the court I think you would sing a different tune.

Thanks for the insight, MH.
    But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    This is a really inaccurate generalization of grassroots basketball. It varies from program to program how much they practice how many sets they run etc. Sure, there are some teams that play what we call "my turn your turn" and just do ISO plays every time down court, but there are a lot of teams doing back cuts, pick and rolls, flex cuts, etc. And I have seen (and coached) many offensively marginal kids who have earned full ride scholarships based upon how they would lock up opposing players defensively on the circuit. With hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line and colleges coaches ten feet away evaluating these kids on their motor and defensive ability, most of these kids play harder D out on the circuit than they do in their HS games

If all you are watching are highlight videos of summer ball I could see how you might think it's all glorified pick up ball, but if you are in the gym week after week watching these games and how hard these kids play on both ends of the court I think you would sing a different tune.
    Terrific post yet feels like exception rather than the rule, at least when I tune in.

I know there are excellent coaches behind these teams, mentors, leaders, role models, and people, yet it's not quality bball imho.

I attend roughly 30-35 local HS bball games every winter, and it's nothing like AAU summer bball, nor is it intended to be. I'm siding more with preference of style and experience than what these AAU teams offer kids, coaches, and all involved.

AAU is a positive outlet and opportunity yet I just don't like the way they play.

This doesnt speak poorly to those associated or participating. Even Coach Few used to not attend AAU events, however, much has changed the last 6 or 7 yrs for him. Heck, he even has a smart phone now .

I've also been spoiled watching Gonzaga play basketball since 1998, it starts to cloud your judgement on what is good bad or ugly bball.

AAU is where these coaches and handlers latch onto these kids, looking for a big pay check. A lot of these people couldn't care less about the kids and are looking to line their own pockets, that is why these kids have an anterage following them around everywhere. I wonder how many young players have been ruined by this atmosphere.