Page 27 of 93 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Jalen Suggs: Verbal Commit on 1/3/20

These are from last week, so sorry if someone else posted them:

I’ve been looking, I kind of want to do it early August, early August is a good spot for me soon, something that I think I want to do. It’s kind of getting to that point where I’m getting into my senior season and I’ve kind of talked to everyone I’ve wanted to talk to.
    And:

Who has prioritized you for basketball?
    I would say Gonzaga has really prioritized me a lot. They’re definitely at the top of the charts, I talk to the coaching staff almost every day, I talk to Dom [Harris] and Julian [Strawther], who are two recruits who have committed there for 2020, almost every day. We’re best friends, I definitely think they’re at the top, and Marquette, Minnesota, Iowa State, Iowa, there’s a lot of schools. Michigan has really emerged, Juwan Howard has talked to me a lot recently. Those schools are still in it as well, so I don’t really have a definitive answer right now but coming soon I will for sure.

Have you thought about setting up any more visits?
    I’ve talked to Dom [Harris] and Julian [Strawther], I think we’re all going to go on the same trip, we’re planning to go to the North Carolina game. I think we’re planning to go on the same weekend. We want to go to the North Carolina game, I’m not sure if that will work for everyone though, but we’re definitely going to get down there soon.
    https://247sports.com/college/basket...tory-133475527

So some conflicting articles about where he is at in the process and when he is looking to decide. I'm going to take his interview answers from last week to mean that (a) GU is in the lead, (b) there is still a chance he decides to go somewhere else, and (c) he may decide earlier than next January as the articles from a couple days indicated is likely.

And I suppose it's possible 247sports is recycling an older interview with a new heading and updated information about the tournament in Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    As kind of a "good news and bad news" post. Take it for what its worth, but talked to a Suggs family friend in Vegas yesterday(so double hearsay) who said his college choice is almost definitely Gonzaga,and he will likely sign an LOI with the zags, BUT he and the family are very seriously considering going the overseas professional route like R.J Hampton. and wont decide for sure until sometime next spring after his HS season is done.
    Said this same thing a while back... he seemed pretty fascinated by the RJ Hampton thing when it happened.... i know they are close friends as well. It makes me wonder since he has continuously out of the norm mentioned the Zags as the clear leader but hasnt yet committed....

Hmmmm....

Yes, but it’s also possible he gives the verbal to GU and then still decides to go overseas at some later point.

Hard to believe Few and Company would still have all of their eggs in that one Suggs basket. If he is considering the Europe route, I have to believe this has been discussed with our staff and that the GU door is being left open for now, but with the condition that if signing doesn't happen quickly when that window opens, we're turning elsewhere. Just my guess.

Also, I wish all of those players weren't coming for Kraziness in the Kennel. It isn't all that hot of an event and that short scrimmage really doesn't showcase talent very well or light up the crowd. ANY regular season game when the student section is present is far far far more electrifying and fun and would make a better impression (in my opinion).

Other than for the $$$$, why would he play a year overseas? It wouldn't start the clock on his super max contract. I don't get it. Unless there are academic issues. Don't see him ever playing for GU.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Other than for the $$$$, why would he play a year overseas? It wouldn't start the clock on his super max contract. I don't get it. Unless there are academic issues. Don't see him ever playing for GU.
    Why wouldn't it start the clock? 1 year removed from HS and 19 years old. Where does it say that he has to go to the NCAA 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    Hard to believe Few and Company would still have all of their eggs in that one Suggs basket. If he is considering the Europe route, I have to believe this has been discussed with our staff and that the GU door is being left open for now, but with the condition that if signing doesn't happen quickly when that window opens, we're turning elsewhere. Just my guess.

Also, I wish all of those players weren't coming for Kraziness in the Kennel. It isn't all that hot of an event and that short scrimmage really doesn't showcase talent very well or light up the crowd. ANY regular season game when the student section is present is far far far more electrifying and fun and would make a better impression (in my opinion).
    I've been thinking the same thing. At what point does the staff say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush? Don't get me wrong, I think getting Suggs as our first one and done out of the gate would be huge long term for our program. But when does that stop being worth the risk and we try for another Harris type player that we can count on from the beginning and for multiple years.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Why wouldn't it start the clock? 1 year removed from HS and 19 years old. Where does it say that he has to go to the NCAA 1st?
    You two are talking about different things. Jazz is sarcastically saying that playing overseas doesn’t start his NBA clock for signing his first supermax deal in the NBA.

If you really think about it, if you are certain that you are a 1 and done kid, playing overseas probably makes more sense than going to college for a semester (which is all most of them do).
    Playing pro you play against better comp day in and day out, you usually practice twice a day on off days with no NCAA limits on when and how much you can do skill development...and last but not least....you make money playing basketball, which is what you have choose to do as a career, so why not get a head start on it?
    Now, if you want to play big games in big arenas and be a BMOC for a season then college is clearly the better choice, but if your goal is to simply get better at basketball then I imagine playing pro overseas make more sense than pretending you are a college student for a year. I cant thnk of either being a bad choice....if you have the game to play in the NBA you will end up there regardless of whether you play NCAA or pro ball for that year after HS

Couple reasons a guy would go directly overseas--- family or individual really needs the money or they are not wanting to go to school/are not solid students.

Not sure if he falls in either of these categories.

Feel like having Harris and Strawther on board will help if it comes down to GU vs overseas. Can't blame a kid for wanting to earn money when he's capable of doing so. Still think his name recognition grows more through NCAA than other options. Interesting decision, if true. Would be terrible to finally get a 5* guard and lose him to a pro contract, although it seems like the relationships are in place to keep him.

If you really think about it, if you are certain that you are a 1 and done kid, playing overseas probably makes more sense than going to college for a semester (which is all most of them do).
    Playing pro you play against better comp day in and day out, you usually practice twice a day on off days with no NCAA limits on when and how much you can do skill development...and last but not least....you make money playing basketball, which is what you have choose to do as a career, so why not get a head start on it?
    Now, if you want to play big games in big arenas and be a BMOC for a season then college is clearly the better choice, but if your goal is to simply get better at basketball then I imagine playing pro overseas make more sense than pretending you are a college student for a year. I cant thnk of either being a bad choice....if you have the game to play in the NBA you will end up there regardless of whether you play NCAA or pro ball for that year after HS
    But college is so much more fun. Kids want to grow up too quick nowadays. Unless family is desperately in need of money, go to college!

Truth

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    But college is so much more fun. Kids want to grow up too quick nowadays. Unless family is desperately in need of money, go to college!
    Truth

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    We know that, but they don't. Even the players already at GU don't always realize it. How many guys like NWG say they wish they could/would have stayed longer.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Truth
    Truth.

I see both sides. I'm hoping he wants to play with his buddies, experience March Madness, be a college star, and try to win a championship. I think that has potential to be a great memory... but so does playing in Europe. I would lean toward college, but I'm also a homebody and love college basketball.

Self selection works best for all parties.

Quote Originally Posted by zagssuperfan View Post
    We know that, but they don't. Even the players already at GU don't always realize it. How many guys like NWG say they wish they could/would have stayed longer.
    KO said the very same thing wishing he would have stayed.

I feel confident Suggs will come to GU for the season...jmho

Where is he predicted to be a one and done anyway?

Self selection works best for all parties.
    winner winner chicken dinner....

This whole forum should also be re-labeled recruiting pipe dreams.

This whole forum should also be re-labeled recruiting pipe dreams.
    Why are you even dignifying this forum with your presence? Seems like a complete waste of your time.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Why are you even dignifying this forum with your presence? Seems like a complete waste of your time.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post

And thank goodness Jazz made the exact some silly post in both of the active threads in this forum, so that if someone only followed one thread they would still see it.

It was worth posting twice because it's SUCH A SICK BURN!!!!!!1

He's far from guaranteed to be a first rounder if he goes the overseas route. He's a five star kid, but definitely not a surefire lottery talent. FIBA U19s definitely highlighted some of his inconsistencies. I think it would be highly risky to go that route, especially since so many high schoolers who make that decision end up buried on the bench in the top leagues. Think it would be a mistake to pass up on the opportunity to run the show in the spotlight for a top college program.