Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Jalen Suggs Offer

The reference in the OP was to Throw Momma from the Train Anne Ramsey in context

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Bye Bye Birdie....Anne
    That’s Ann.....

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    That’s Ann.....
    An Ann?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    An Ann?
    Sweet baby Jesus. Enough. Let’s stay on topic-Suggs. Excited to log on after a long day at work for updates that will make my day...and I read this. Kids can bicker out of the pool. For the rest of us? Serious updates (not opinion) welcome. Thanks again for then effort, Caldwell!
    Last edited by JAGzag; 05-08-2019 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Sweet baby Jesus. Enough. Let’s stay on topic-Suggs. Excited to log on after a long day at the Pentagon for updates that will make my day...and I read this. Kids can bicker our of the pool. For the rest of us? Serious updates (not opinion) welcome. Thanks again for then effort, Caldwell!
    +1000000%%%%

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This should help with Suggs

Evan Daniels

Verified account

@EvanDaniels
    51s51 seconds ago
    More
    Duke's first pledge of the 2020 class is Jeremy Roach. He ranks No. 15 overall in the @247Sports Composite Rankings & as the No. 2 point guard.

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/stat...70852130136067

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post

Evan Daniels

Verified account

@EvanDaniels
    51s51 seconds ago
    More
    Duke's first pledge of the 2020 class is Jeremy Roach. He ranks No. 15 overall in the @247Sports Composite Rankings & as the No. 2 point guard.

Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Sweet!
    I'm pretty stoked, Duke was team that worried me. (besides football simply being his true love)

Between this and Caldwell's confidence, I'm feeling good on this front.

If they managed to snag Nix for a '19 reclassify too, talk about an embarrassment of riches spread over two classes. (and perfectly complementary, to boot)

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    I'm pretty stoked, Duke was team that worried me. (besides football simply being his true love)

Between this and Caldwell's confidence, I'm feeling good on this front.

If they managed to snag Nix for a '19 reclassify too, talk about an embarrassment of riches spread over two classes. (and perfectly complementary, to boot)
    Yup, now that Duke got their pg, I’m feeling good about Suggs. From ESPN:

Roach, a 6-foot-2 product of Paul VI High School (Virginia), is ranked No. 14 in the ESPN 100 for 2020. He tore his ACL in a preseason scrimmage in November and missed his junior season. Playing for Team Takeover on the Nike EYBL circuit last spring and summer, Roach averaged 6.6 points and 3.1 assists per game.

He also has won two gold medals with USA Basketball, at the 2017 FIBA Americas Under-16 Championship and 2018 FIBA U17 World Cup. Last summer, he averaged 6.4 points and 2.7 assists as the starting point guard on the U17 World Cup team

Evan Daniels

Verified account

@EvanDaniels
    51s51 seconds ago
    More

this came about pretty quickly after the rj hampton reclass...can't imagine it being a complete coincidence.

Evan Daniels

Verified account

@EvanDaniels
    51s51 seconds ago
    More

This is a huge deal for Gonzaga. Huge!

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    this came about pretty quickly after the rj hampton reclass...can't imagine it being a complete coincidence.
    Reading the Duke boards, Roach is going to re-classify for 2019 as well and use this year as a rehab year.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    This is a huge deal for Gonzaga. Huge!
    Yup. Duke was the one school that we probably could have lost him to.

Yup. Duke was the one school that we probably could have lost him to.
    The only hold up now is if he gets the itch to play football (I give that a less than 5% chance).

I'm unsure how to interpret this comment from Jalen Suggs/Chet Homgren's AAU coach, whether he means Minnesota is not an option for Suggs or that football is off the table for him:

https://twitter.com/grassrootshoops/...815273984?s=19

From this quote -- he seems to know in the back of his mind he will need to pick one at some point.

“I think I definitely could play both, it would just be real difficult,” Suggs said about pursuing both sports in college. “That still is a possibility. Something that I have to talk to coaches and my parents about, but one day one of them is going to have to go.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/11/2...terrific-team/

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    I'm unsure how to interpret this comment from Jalen Suggs/Chet Homgren's AAU coach, whether he means Minnesota is not an option for Suggs or that football is off the table for him:

https://twitter.com/grassrootshoops/...815273984?s=19
    Neither...he's gone from MN IMO

This last page of the Suggs thread on the main Gopher board pretty much is all about us. Only one poster disses us and several others quickly correct him and complement us. Interesting read.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boa...larship/page33

This last page of the Suggs thread on the main Gopher board pretty much is all about us. Only one poster disses us and several others quickly correct him and complement us. Interesting read.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boa...larship/page33
    Didn’t see a diss at all. Saw a general curiousity.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Didn’t see a diss at all. Saw a general curiousity.
    This is the one post in question, and you're right, it's not really even a "diss", just very mild criticism:

Gonzaga seems to be a really curious leader for Suggs. They're undoubtedly a blueblood program, but Spokane isn't a natural geographical fit for a kid from the Twin Cities, they're mostly dark on the West Coast (in a non-P6 league) when it comes to the spotlight (until the tournament), and frankly the program under Few hasn't been cranking out NBA players, especially guards, especially one-and-dones. Not denying Suggs' own words that they're a leading contender right now, but I just can't figure out why.

But the cool thing on that page of the thread is 2 fold, the overwhelming majority of posters boosting us as a program, and the fans of his hometown team thinking that he's virtually a Zags lock.

Gonzaga is the only program in college basketball right now to get to the sweet 16 or better in 5 straight tournaments (something that only two other teams have done - both blue bloods - since the expanded bracket era began). 21 straight NCAA tourneys. A HoF coach with an 82% winning %. I think that might have something to do with it. Basketball programs who achieve things like this see a massive rise in their recruiting. They become a hot place to go. Also, not every big name recruit wants to go to a blue blood, but they are forced to because if they want to go deep in the tourney, those are the schools that traditionally go far. A guy like Suggs understands that GU has a slew of big guys (some future NBA'ers) to show off and develop his playmaking skills. Gonzaga has gotten players from Minnesota before. GU wasn't the only western school interested in Sam Dower. Cal wanted him.

Also the traditional one and done factories like Duke and Kentucky are not producing great numbers of national championship teams. Neither is Gonzaga, but I think it's creating an environment where some elite kids might be thinking: "Do I really wanna go to a place like Kentucky where they have every advantage in the book and they still cannot get the job done?" Meanwhile, it's the perception of some that what GU is missing is just one or two missing pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Also the traditional one and done factories like Duke and Kentucky are not producing great numbers of national championship teams. Neither is Gonzaga, but I think it's creating an environment where some elite kids might be thinking: "Do I really wanna go to a place like Kentucky where they have every advantage in the book and they still cannot get the job done?" Meanwhile, it's the perception of some that what GU is missing is just one or two missing pieces.
    Might it just be that both of these schools are NBA Factories - play one maybe two and go get drafted in the first round?

I believe if Coach Few had that same talent, he would have a better record than Cal & K...jmho

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me if Suggs announced within the next two weeks.
    With this post coming 2 weeks ago, and the last post in this thread being over a week ago, I think it's time for a bump.

I see all positives with the continued momentum of recruiting Jalen, and still believe all of our insider information that we are in great shape to add him in 2020.

GoZags, basketballzag, ZagBlue and caldwellzag - Are you still thinking it's likely we could hear something before the June evaluation period?

I am thinking he is looking at his options related to players opting out of the draft and going back to school -- (looking for a clearer lay of the land) and then will make his final decision ---- hopefully as a Zag.