Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Jalen Suggs Offer

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Memphis bound, IMO.
    Penny is really starting to make a name for himself in Memphis. The question is whether the guy can coach. I haven't looked into who he has chosen as his assistants....if he chose, for instance, ex-head coaches who are known for their X's and O's capabilities.

Boogie I think is worried he is going to be recruited over. He was an absolute no name recruit who just blew up and ended up in the top 40. He's only 6-2 and only weighs 165lbs. He never struck me as being a Duke like recruit. Especially with the way Coach K has been recruiting of late.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Penny is really starting to make a name for himself in Memphis. The question is whether the guy can coach. I haven't looked into who he has chosen as his assistants....if he chose, for instance, ex-head coaches who are known for their X's and O's capabilities.

Boogie I think is worried he is going to be recruited over. He was an absolute no name recruit who just blew up and ended up in the top 40. He's only 6-2 and only weighs 165lbs. He never struck me as being a Duke like recruit. Especially with the way Coach K has been recruiting of late.
    Lorenzo Romar version 2, in my opinion. But we will see.

Penny has certainly not started off with a cozy relationship with Rick Barnes at Tennessee. Rick is a really nice guy and one of Mark Few's absolute best buddies in the coaching biz. I know Memphis/Tennessee have a rivalry, but you don't see Roy and Coach K being jerks to each other when it comes to UNC/Duke.

I love how one mod says to keep this thread about Jalen Suggs because there is already a thread discussing Boogie Ellis and another mod completely ignores what the first mod requested and posts about Boogie Ellis in the Jalen Suggs thread.

not his best game in front of Cal...i'm good with that )

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    I love how one mod says to keep this thread about Jalen Suggs because there is already a thread discussing Boogie Ellis and another mod completely ignores what the first mod requested and posts about Boogie Ellis in the Jalen Suggs thread.
    It's timing my friend. Both mods were typing at the same time. Caldwell hit POST first and thus got the first punch in. Anyway, the Boogie discussion did carry over to the more appropriate thread.

It's timing my friend. Both mods were typing at the same time. Caldwell hit POST first and thus got the first punch in. Anyway, the Boogie discussion did carry over to the more appropriate thread.
    It was just funny. No biggie.

Suggs is absolutely killing it through the first 2 weekends in the UAA circuit.

http://uaa.io/stats.aspx?path=17u&year=2019

2nd in Scoring Average
    6th in Rebounding Average
    1st in Assists Average
    1st in Steals Average

Has there been any recent talk about when Suggs is going to make his verbal?

I'm still seeing no scary offers other than KU, and that place is on my dumpster fire watch (along with Duke and UofA). 247 has him as a "Scout look," which I assume to mean that they offered but aren't as interested as the 30 other or so kids higher on the list. Duke has him on their board, as well. There are a few names that keep coming up at Duke, Kentucky et al and it is kind of crazy to see the Zags in the conversation on them. I suppose that when some of these top kids that everyone has offered start giving verbals that the rest of the pieces fall into place?

Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

It was just funny. No biggie.
    Just watch......a school like Monmouth or Florida A&M will try to get him by saying they promise to play "Boogie, Boogie Night" during player introductions.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Has there been any recent talk about when Suggs is going to make his verbal?

I'm still seeing no scary offers other than KU, and that place is on my dumpster fire watch (along with Duke and UofA). 247 has him as a "Scout look," which I assume to mean that they offered but aren't as interested as the 30 other or so kids higher on the list. Duke has him on their board, as well. There are a few names that keep coming up at Duke, Kentucky et al and it is kind of crazy to see the Zags in the conversation on them. I suppose that when some of these top kids that everyone has offered start giving verbals that the rest of the pieces fall into place?
    I am starting to wonder if this question mark about whether or not he wants to play football is keeping some of the blue bloods away. It could be working in Gonzaga's favor.

I remember when Mike Montgomery (at Stanford) used to bring players in off the football team mid-season. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Obviously, none of the kids were as good as Suggs. Doing such a thing can be a hassle, even if the player is really good. The kid hasn't practiced with you the entire season. His body is worn down from having played football. I mean, it was something that was done in the past, but I cannot recall the last top 10 level basketball recruit (meaning = possible future lottery pick) who played football and basketball at the same time. I would imagine a guy like Coach K is going to want him to be exclusively basketball. Especially when he is much more well regarded as a hoop star than a football player.

I don't know. It's just me, but no matter how much I LOVED football, with CTE and all the catastrophic injuries that take place on the football field (and the greater frequency of injury), I kind of don't see the point in risking a possible multi-million buck basketball future by trying to be a grid iron star. But that's just me.

I would be very surprised if this kid chooses Minnesota unless it is a football/basketball thing. Minnesota is the epitome of a run of the mill BCS basketball program. He may never see the NCAA tournament if he chooses that school. The only upside (and it's not insignificant) is that he would be able to play in his hometown.

The contracts and career trajectories just seem so much better in basketball. I suppose it’s more of a mental grind in basketball with the travel and amount of games played, but I would choose basketball over football without much thought at all.

I am starting to wonder if this question mark about whether or not he wants to play football is keeping some of the blue bloods away. It could be working in Gonzaga's favor.

I remember when Mike Montgomery (at Stanford) used to bring players in off the football team mid-season. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Obviously, none of the kids were as good as Suggs. Doing such a thing can be a hassle, even if the player is really good. The kid hasn't practiced with you the entire season. His body is worn down from having played football. I mean, it was something that was done in the past, but I cannot recall the last top 10 level basketball recruit (meaning = possible future lottery pick) who played football and basketball at the same time. I would imagine a guy like Coach K is going to want him to be exclusively basketball. Especially when he is much more well regarded as a hoop star than a football player.

I don't know. It's just me, but no matter how much I LOVED football, with CTE and all the catastrophic injuries that take place on the football field (and the greater frequency of injury), I kind of don't see the point in risking a possible multi-million buck basketball future by trying to be a grid iron star. But that's just me.

I would be very surprised if this kid chooses Minnesota unless it is a football/basketball thing. Minnesota is the epitome of a run of the mill BCS basketball program. He may never see the NCAA tournament if he chooses that school. The only upside (and it's not insignificant) is that he would be able to play in his hometown.
    states have laws regulating high schoolers in how many days a week they can have contact in practice....sport is waning

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    states have laws regulating high schoolers in how many days a week they can have contact in practice....sport is waning
    Moreover, if you saw the "League of Denial" Frontline Special, they showed that teens and kids can and have developed CTE through playing football. The sport will either become like what the Roman Gladiators used to be (it will just die off on its own), or the NFL, colleges, high schools, etc. will force players/families to sign a waiver that if they develop some sort of cognitive impairment due to the sport, they cannot sue.

Suggs just picked up a crystal ball prediction for......Gonzaga!!!

https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-S...81332/?Sport=2

Moreover, if you saw the "League of Denial" Frontline Special, they showed that teens and kids can and have developed CTE through playing football. The sport will either become like what the Roman Gladiators used to be (it will just die off on its own), or the NFL, colleges, high schools, etc. will force players/families to sign a waiver that if they develop some sort of cognitive impairment due to the sport, they cannot sue.
    I'm super excited about Suggs having a crystal ball come Gonzaga's way and I can't way to hear what CaldwellZag has to say about this latest prediction!

On the other topic. I played junior high all the way through high school football. I really loved it. That said, I would never let my boys play football, not in Pee Wee league or any other. I had 2 concusssions diagnosed in high school, not sure how many I actually had. Its a dangerous sport and all things being equal, I'm not quite sure other than the money in college and pro's why its still being played.

Josh Gershon is the guy who made the crystal ball pick for Gonzaga today. He is the west coast recruiting guru for 247sports. He's been at this a long time, and has a very good rep. It should be noted that the two Ohio State picks are almost a year old. Josh is on to something.

Josh Gershon is the guy who made the crystal ball pick for Gonzaga today. He is the west coast recruiting guru for 247sports. He's been at this a long time, and has a very good rep. It should be noted that the two Ohio State picks are almost a year old. Josh is on to something.
    He has a record of being 91% correct. I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by harryzag View Post
    Suggs just picked up a crystal ball prediction for......Gonzaga!!!

https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-S...81332/?Sport=2
    Whoa! Huge News!

It's crazy to think that Gonzaga could have Suggs (#9), Harris (criminally under-ranked at #48) and Strawther (#35) coming in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Whoa! Huge News!
    Caldwell let us know please. Lol
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Gershon was the first guy in April to call Strawther to Gonzaga (after Jerry Meyer's January pick, which was the only one that had Gonzaga until April came around). Shortly after that April pick, 3 more guys called Strawther to Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Gershon was the first guy in April to call Strawther to Gonzaga (after Jerry Meyer's January pick, which was the only one that had Gonzaga until April came around). Shortly after that April pick, 3 more guys called Strawther to Gonzaga.
    This would be far and away the biggest recruiting coup in Zags history.

CDC84: “I cannot recall the last top 10 level basketball recruit (meaning = possible future lottery pick) who played football and basketball at the same time.”

Answer: Chuck Connors? You know, The Rifleman. (Just kidding.)

My memory fails me everytime