• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YankMyZAG
    Bulldog Fan
    • Sep 2019

Originally posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    Got to remember he is just a kid and has a lot of people in his ear. This does seem to be drawn out a little much for my taste. Poseur is a stong statement but certainly not unjust given all the cryptic secrecy. Hope it works out he seems like a good kid and he can really play.
    Its totally unjust. This kid owes us nothing. He is a kid who is trying to make the biggest decision that he probably has had to make. He isn't doing it on a timeline that works for us, that's our problem, not his. And calling a child names says more about you than him. Kinda sad really. Go root for Kentucky with that kind of attitude.

Comment

• ZagRecruitWatch
      Kennel Club Alum
      • Jul 2019

I could make a killing selling chill pills on this forum. I don't know how this overseas stuff came about but relax.

Comment

• JohnOGU
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
        I could make a killing selling chill pills on this forum. I don't know how this overseas stuff came about but relax.
        Have info?

Comment

• SLOZag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

That "poseur" crack

"If we already had the word 'poser', what led us to borrow 'poseur' from French? Simple: the French word had an additional meaning ("to put on airs") that the English 'poser' lacked. ... The word is almost always used with a negative connotation, conveying the skepticism we have for those who put on airs. Naturally, then, the word is frequently found in contexts of scenes and subcultures where there is suspicion of anyone who tries to associate without demonstrating that they belong."

'Poser' is already an English word, but the meaning isn't quite the same

Does more than one individual on this board really think Jalen does not merit the attention he is getting from those who are recruiting him? Same question regarding the notion that Jalen is a talentless individual who puts on airs about being a baller, but hedoesn't belong-- how many of you are on board for that? Good grief!

Does more than one individual on this board really think the three amigos that Jalen has been a part of, texting to and about, and being photographed with, are part of a ruse? That they really are not good friends he would like to play ball with? Same question regarding the notion that Jalen has been putting on airs about liking everything about GU, while he really detested his visit, disliked the coaches, and rejected the GU family tradition -- how many of you are on board with that notion? Double good grief!!

It's my opinion that a much more appropriate example of a poseur in this thread is an individual who claims to be a devoted GU fan while continually, predictably, and with little forethought criticises, demeans, and disparages those recruits and players who have the misfortune to attract his ire. When someone claims to be a Gonzaga fan, but cannot refrain from attacking most of the players and recruits -- that in my opinion is an example of a true poseur.

Think of it this way: if someone claims to have the perfect family, but he only likes one of the kids and two of his cousins, and he continually disparages his wife and all the rest of his family, isn't he just "putting on airs" when he makes his claim? Isn't that a more appropriate example of a real poser?

I can only hope that if Jalen or his family read this thread and see the poseur crack that they do as my Momma always said: "Just consider the source." Like almost any BB fan site on the internet, on this board we have our share of old folks who probably sound like (and perhaps even look like) that cranky old codger who lives down the street from the Suggs. Jalen: Ignore the codgers! You won't see them on the team, you won't see them in class or on campus, you won't see them in the locker room, and you won't see them in the stands (they can't stand for a full game). Sign with GU because the vast majority of us will welcome you with open arms.
          Last edited by SLOZag; 11-05-2019, 08:36 AM.
          SLOZag
          "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Comment

• Malastein
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Really don’t feel any less positive about Jalen Suggs ending up as a Zag! There’s always been the possibility that he won’t, but this one really does feel like he’ll commit. There’s been a few in the past that got away, but they felt less certain than Suggs. Not buying into the negativity until the posters clearly in the know start ringing the alarm bells. Until then, I’ll be patiently awaiting January 4th!
            The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

• FloridaZagFan
              Bleeds GU Blue
              • May 2019

Originally posted by YankMyZAG View Post
              Its totally unjust. This kid owes us nothing. He is a kid who is trying to make the biggest decision that he probably has had to make. He isn't doing it on a timeline that works for us, that's our problem, not his. And calling a child names says more about you than him. Kinda sad really. Go root for Kentucky with that kind of attitude.
              Eeeeeaasy! I couldn't agree with you more, as I said he is just a kid. This is his decision and I would imagine
              as you mentioned the biggest decision he has had to make. With his talent he has more options and more doors open than most really good players after high school. Maybe my French isn't great, but i dont really look at poseur as being diffrent than poser. I look at it more like ' Pose' -act of standing or sitting, usually adopted for effect to be photographed, painted-.
              Im not a big fan of subtle hints or putting things out on social media that lead people on.
              I said "he seems like a good kid and he can really play."
              I am here solely for my passion that is Gonzaga basketball!
              Just because I live in Florida don't assume I dont have family ties to Gonzaga, and please dont tell me to root for Kentucky. Lets get back to baketball that why we are here
              Last edited by FloridaZagFan; 11-05-2019, 03:20 AM.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Eeeeeaasy! I couldn't agree with you more, as I said he is just a kid. This is his decision and I would imagine
                as you mentioned the biggest decision he has had to make. With his talent he has more options and more doors open than most really good players after high school. Maybe my French isn't great, but i dont really look at poseur as being diffrent than poser. I look at it more like ' Pose' -act of standing or sitting, usually adopted for effect to be photographed, painted-.
                Im not a big fan of subtle hints or putting things out on social media that lead people on.
                Just because I live in Florida don't assume I dont have family ties to Gonzaga, and please dont tell me to root for Kentucky. Lets get back to baketball that why we are here
                Yup. The in loco parentis on this board sometimes gets, well, loco. And the loyalty test is the inevitable, if tiresome rebuke of posters who don’t look or speak like true believers. The kid is a very public figure by choice and if he plays pro whatever this will be run of the mill. What puzzles me is that shouldn’t their be some consternation that per Caldwell and others he committed to Few and now is straying? Isn’t GU Uber alles?

Comment

• YankMyZAG
                  Bulldog Fan
                  • Sep 2019

My reply was meant for that other guy. My apologies.

Comment

• YankMyZAG
                    Bulldog Fan
                    • Sep 2019

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                    Yup. The in loco parentis on this board sometimes gets, well, loco. And the loyalty test is the inevitable, if tiresome rebuke of posters who don’t look or speak like true believers. The kid is a very public figure by choice and if he plays pro whatever this will be run of the mill. What puzzles me is that shouldn’t their be some consternation that per Caldwell and others he committed to Few and now is straying? Isn’t GU Uber alles?
                    Because he is a public figure, you get to call a child names? I hope your children aren't ever in a position to be ragged on by losers like yourself. You can be skeptical of a kid signing here but don't act like your actions are normal

Comment

• FloridaZagFan
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • May 2019

I watched him play in Kansas city, the kid is tough. He's got some flash to his game that's just who he is on the court. When i say flash its in a good way! He was in total control but actually having fun, when you could tell other players were stressed trying to impress coaches.
                      I think his biggest asset is how he thinks on the court, he has total confidence in his game. As I said I hope it works out, he seems like a nice kid and can really play.
                      As Gonzaga fans we all have common goals. Mine selfishly would be to see Jalen in a Gonzaga uniform next year droping 40 on Arizona!

Comment

• caldwellzag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
                        The overseas stuff is a legit concern and I do have info on that, but like I said GU is still the favorite. I put us at 80% yesterday, just saying those are pretty good odds. There are a few people in his inner circle that would like to see him make money next year, we just have to watch this play out, but ultimately I believe Suggs will be a Zag.

Comment

• strikenowhere
                          Zag for Life
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by caldwellzag View Post
                          The overseas stuff is a legit concern and I do have info on that, but like I said GU is still the favorite. I put us at 80% yesterday, just saying those are pretty good odds. There are a few people in his inner circle that would like to see him make money next year, we just have to watch this play out, but ultimately I believe Suggs will be a Zag.
                          Any idea as to his family's financial situation? I would venture that that would have a lot of influence on where he winds up if there is a financial need for it.

Comment

• zagdontzig
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2016

Finally certainty: Jalen Suggs to announce January 4, 2020

Was this posted already? It's a day old, but I didn't see it in the Suggs thread. Mods move when you feel appropriate.
                            Originally posted by Reborn
                            Go Zags!!!
                            Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• caldwellzag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2018

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
                              Any idea as to his family's financial situation? I would venture that that would have a lot of influence on where he winds up if there is a financial need for it.
                              No, but honestly even if I did I would not post that on here, as that is to personal in my opinion.

Comment

• Kiddwell
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Caldwell, you got anything on this? To add, confirm, etc.?

:]
                                Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

Working...
                                X