Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152 LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1292

Thread: 2020 Jalen Suggs Offer

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    I attended 3 of his SMB football games this season.

He is a terrific athlete, with an extraordinary presence on the field, makes winning plays when needed, especially with his feet. Can throw a solid deep ball, although it sails sideways instead of downward spiral, and has good zip on short to intermediate throws.

I see upside but Jalen isnt an elite prospect in football. I'd say a very good, strong, confident, tall athlete making highlight reel plays versus inferior competition.

His HS, combined with 2 other HS's play in the 3rd ranked division in MN. Mostly comprised of small towns and private/charter schools, who specialize in bball and hockey, not football so much.

Suggs team is the best in their respective division, and have won their championship for past couple years, which Jalen has played a major part in.

he might be a better long term defensive prospect (elite safety) than QB.

He shows promising upside at QB but relies heavily on being the better athlete than the competition. Jalen likely only player to receive serious D1 interest in his entire division. There is another kid on his team with offers.

His long term sport is basketball. He is an elite prospect in the making, and still has room to improve in this sport as well, namely pick n roll play, and shooting, yet upside is clearly through the roof. Proven, and has shown elite skills vs top tier competition, has all the attributes, etc

He is likely a couple seasons away to start at QB, as he faces a significant jump in competition, and still hasn't shown he can make sll the throws and/or simply out run or run around the opponents.

He could likely start as a WR or Free Safety right away, but I see a 3 star type QB who still needs development at the position.

Meanwhile, he is a 5 star basketball player who is more than likely a 1 and done talent, maybe 2 year at most.

Football requires 3 years before he can even be drafted, not to mention chance of injury, especially as a freshman. Rate of injury much higher for younger players than upperclassmen in college FB.

I love that he is passionate about both sports and being considered in both sports at the next level, yet no one has promised him a spot at QB, but rather as a gifted athlete they can mold into whatever suits them best. I know Iowa St was looking at him for multiple positions given that a lot of these QB prospects are more polished at that particular position.

Its great he wants to play them but it's an unbelievable risky endeavor, not just from an injury standpoint yet also developmental standpoint.

Similar to achieving work life balance, something has got to give, he will have to comprise one for the other on some level, if he wants to be truly elite.
    thanks for the excellent report.

Here's what's happening near me with high school sports

https://www.latimes.com/sports/highs...ecame-dominant

It's hard to see exactly where he lies for me, as they make a distinction between dual-threat and pro-style QBs. He's listed at #29 overall on 247Sports but is the #10 dual-threat QB on Scout. I'm sure he could play for many colleges out there, but how good of a team would it be? It seems to me that the #10 dual-threat QB has little chance of an NFL career, but you have to believe in yourself and take good advice from people who know (way) more than me...

I have to say, I'm really worn out on this recruitment. I hope Jalen chooses Gonzaga but, at this point, it's going to be what it's going to be. In the end, he needs to do what is best for him, in his assessment, and the rest will take care of itself.

Main board is reporting an instagram post of his commitment. Personally, if true, I will credit Mr. V. for pushing him over the top. When confirmed, I think everyone will forget the long and windy road that got us here very quickly...and just celebrate the destination. Someone please confirm so the party can commence.

Jalen has a picture of himself in a Zag uniform from October 7th but nothing about committing to any program on Instagram. The Zags Men's Instagram page has photos of both Dom and Julian as signed but nothing about Jalen.

For those catching up, there is nothing on instagram regarding Jalen's decision. Maybe someone is mistaking Julian with Jalen, although I also don't see the "main board" post that is being referenced.

Jalen did congratulate Julian on instagram, but that's all we've got for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    For those catching up, there is nothing on instagram regarding Jalen's decision. Maybe someone is mistaking Julian with Jalen, although I also don't see the "main board" post that is being referenced.

Jalen did congratulate Julian on instagram, but that's all we've got for now.
    I would expect very little news from Mr. Suggs until he announces in January. Just my opinion

Jalen Suggs has his semi-final MN football game starting in the next few minutes. You can watch live here:

https://prepspotlight.tv/MSHSL

Last night he played Madden with Julian Strawther on Instagram live. No announcements but Julian is definitely still leading the recruiting effort haha. Dominick Harris wasn’t on live but was also logged in and was texting with the rest of the tricky trio.

Fingers crossed!

Uhhh.....

Started watching game, then went elsewhere. Rejoined stream late in 4th, Suggs appears to have an ankle injury late in a tied game...

And he throws a probable game winning touchdown...

I'm not sure what universe that is a fumble on but... okay.

Suggs is on to State Championships. While clearly not healthy.

So we now have two bullets to dodge. An injury in state finals and the pro ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Uhhh.....

Started watching game, then went elsewhere. Rejoined stream late in 4th, Suggs appears to have an ankle injury late in a tied game...

And he throws a probable game winning touchdown...

Nice! Hope he wins a championship in what may well be his last season of organized football! The ankle doesnít sound bad if heís still playing, so hopefully it never becomes problematic!

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Nice! Hope he wins a championship in what may well be his last season of organized football! The ankle doesn’t sound bad if he’s still playing, so hopefully it never becomes problematic!
    He was really hobbling and in visible pain. He only ran the one play which was a touchdown from 3rd & goal < 1min and they clearly designed it so he wouldn't have to move much.

17/18 year olds are resilient as hell so hopefully he's fine for the finals but I know I'll be biting my knuckles. The game is archived on that site if you want to see how it ends.

He also was on the field for a two point conversion attempt, as well as for the final plays on defense. He was walking much better even by the end of the game.

Certainly something to keep an eye on, but I can't see him missing the championship on November 29 or anything like that. The game is scheduled to start at 2 PM Spokane time by the way, so hopefully right after the Zags play UNC in the Battle 4 Atlantis championship game that would start at 11 AM Spokane time.

There was a new article on all the top 100 guys who remain uncommitted from Jeff Borzello with ESPN. He says basically what we have heard. If he is going to college it will be Gonzaga (he said it's unclear if any other schools are even still recruiting him). His prediction was Gonzaga, but only with 50% confidence. Australia or China would be the other options

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Gorilla View Post
    There was a new article on all the top 100 guys who remain uncommitted from Jeff Borzello with ESPN. He says basically what we have heard. If he is going to college it will be Gonzaga (he said it's unclear if any other schools are even still recruiting him). His prediction was Gonzaga, but only with 50% confidence. Australia or China would be the other options
    Yep nothing new on the Suggs front. I would say the only other two schools that even touch bases with Jalen are Florida and Minnesota, the rest have disappeared. Florida may get a visit, but now with his team making the state championship game the timing may not work out. I am pretty confident to say if he chooses college it will only be Gonzaga, and I am more confident than Jeff that he will choose college (80/20 in my book for what that's worth).

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Yep nothing new on the Suggs front. I would say the only other two schools that even touch bases with Jalen are Florida and Minnesota, the rest have disappeared. Florida may get a visit, but now with his team making the state championship game the timing may not work out. I am pretty confident to say if he chooses college it will only be Gonzaga, and I am more confident than Jeff that he will choose college (80/20 in my book for what that's worth).
    His game transfers so well to college ball it would be a damn shame to not see him play in college. Even if he were to pick another school other than gonzaga.

FWIW, Suggs' parents been burning the midnight oil researching pro circuits in New Zealand, Australia, & Asia. Meeting with RJ Hampton's parents and all.

This has been mentioned by several regional AAU coaches and fellow parents of Jalen's Minnehaha teammates.

Jalen is the one with the affinity to Gonzaga and potentially playing College ball.

Will likely come down to who makes the final decision, or who compromises the most...I'm sure they will support him either way, yet their preference has been noted by many here in Twin Cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    FWIW, Suggs' parents been burning the midnight oil researching pro circuits in New Zealand, Australia, & Asia. Meeting with RJ Hampton's parents and all.

This has been mentioned by several regional AAU coaches and fellow parents of Jalen's Minnehaha teammates.

Jalen is the one with the affinity to Gonzaga and potentially playing College ball.

Will likely come down to who makes the final decision, or who compromises the most...I'm sure they will support him either way, yet their preference has been noted by many here in Twin Cities.
    My personal feeling is that they are gathering all the information and then they will be sitting down as a family to determine what is best for him. To me, college provides much more exposure to the player in the marketplace which leads to more immediate marketing opportunities when they go pro. Most kids that end up overseas don't end up in consideration for the top few picks of the draft when the time comes. Additionally they are out of sight, out of mind in regards to the majority of fans. Everyone around knew who Zion was and his brand was built in his short time at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    My personal feeling is that they are gathering all the information and then they will be sitting down as a family to determine what is best for him. To me, college provides much more exposure to the player in the marketplace which leads to more immediate marketing opportunities when they go pro. Most kids that end up overseas don't end up in consideration for the top few picks of the draft when the time comes. Additionally they are out of sight, out of mind in regards to the majority of fans. Everyone around knew who Zion was and his brand was built in his short time at Duke.
    Good points Vulture. Here is what I know to be factual: An owner of RJ Hampton's team (New Zealand Breakers) said back in September that the Breakers will not win games if RJ Hampton plays consistent minutes. Well RJ is starting and they have lost 5 in row and have not been overly competitive. Also, and perhaps more importantly for the career of all of these kids (and to Vulture's point), sometimes the absence of going overseas does not make the heart grow fonder for many scouts. When RJ left he was comfortably predicted to be a top 2 pg (assuredly top 3 pg) taken in the 2020 NBA draft. Currently many draft "experts" and scouts have him as low as the 6th best pg in this draft behind Ball, Maledon, Anthony, Mannion, and Hayes.

If a person or people are looking at New Zealand, Australia, & Asia, then they are not looking at exposure and development for an NBA slot a year away, they are looking - very short sighted-ly - at $$$

Whatever. Im kinda over the whole rollercoaster ride at this point and lament the guards that wanted to come here without any of the football, will he wont he type drama that we didn't offer.

I'm surprised how many people on this forum claim to have connections or insider info on the twin cities HS b-ball circuit or the Suggs family.

I'm not doubting these folks, it's just genuinely surprising.

Did any of the other high school guys to go overseas have a history of official visits and communication with a team in the way that GU/Suggs have? Did Lamelo, or RJ Hampton? Has there been anyone else?

RJ somehow reclassified (basically skipped his 12th grade) after a sudden decision made the spring of his 11th grade year. He never took official visits anywhere (which he was planning on doing as a HS senior).
    Lamelo Ball is related to Lavar Ball. He also reclassified, and then re-reclassified, and never took an official visit anywhere.

If Suggs snubs Gonzaga and goes overseas for a year after doing everything else normally it will certainly leave a bitter record for some GU fans and would be a new path. (completing high school, taking mutliple college visits including official visits as a HS senior, still going overseas for a year in a tiny foreign league)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Exactly.

We wont hear about RJ Hampton again unless he becomes a star in the NBA, which isnt very likely.

Often times, the marketing value of college ball is a running start to early contracts.

The pay checks to play ball are nice, yet the endorsements are where the long term $ is at.

Sign a rookie contract for 3 yrs, or a Nike deal for 10 outta college.

RJ Hampton would probably be talked about like all the super frosh right now

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    Good points Vulture. Here is what I know to be factual: An owner of RJ Hampton's team (New Zealand Breakers) said back in September that the Breakers will not win games if RJ Hampton plays consistent minutes. Well RJ is starting and they have lost 5 in row and have not been overly competitive. Also, and perhaps more importantly for the career of all of these kids (and to Vulture's point), sometimes the absence of going overseas does not make the heart grow fonder for many scouts. When RJ left he was comfortably predicted to be a top 2 pg (assuredly top 3 pg) taken in the 2020 NBA draft. Currently many draft "experts" and scouts have him as low as the 6th best pg in this draft behind Ball, Maledon, Anthony, Mannion, and Hayes.
    Yes, but if the parents made the decision for $, they arenít likely to admit their error. They are more likely to sell it as a wise decision.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Yes, but if the parents made the decision for $, they arenít likely to admit their error. They are more likely to sell it as a wise decision.
    I agree completely. It is a faulty viewpoint in my mind as it leads to money 1 year quicker but at what cost. In my mind, it may cost the family a lot of money by trying to collect sooner. On the other hand, I suppose it could work out for them. As of now, there really is not a sample size. Regarding RJ though, his stock is dropping and even the owner isnít overly happy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    I agree completely. It is a faulty viewpoint in my mind as it leads to money 1 year quicker but at what cost. In my mind, it may cost the family a lot of money by trying to collect sooner. On the other hand, I suppose it could work out for them. As of now, there really is not a sample size. Regarding RJ though, his stock is dropping and even the owner isn’t overly happy about it.
    There certainly seems to be insufficient evidence to support the view that a year in a minor league oversees instead of a year on a top-10 college team domestically will result in more total earnings by age 25 or 28 for an NBA-bound lottery pick.

There is a lot of evidence that even a single college year among your peers on an elite US college team will produce powerful friendships and community/institutional links for life.