Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1320

Thread: 2020 Jalen Suggs Offer

  1. #1201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    Got to remember he is just a kid and has a lot of people in his ear. This does seem to be drawn out a little much for my taste. Poseur is a stong statement but certainly not unjust given all the cryptic secrecy. Hope it works out he seems like a good kid and he can really play.
    Its totally unjust. This kid owes us nothing. He is a kid who is trying to make the biggest decision that he probably has had to make. He isn't doing it on a timeline that works for us, that's our problem, not his. And calling a child names says more about you than him. Kinda sad really. Go root for Kentucky with that kind of attitude.

  2. #1202
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    348

    Default

    I could make a killing selling chill pills on this forum. I don't know how this overseas stuff came about but relax.

  3. #1203
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I could make a killing selling chill pills on this forum. I don't know how this overseas stuff came about but relax.
    Have info?

  4. #1204
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    1,095

    Default That "poseur" crack

    "If we already had the word 'poser', what led us to borrow 'poseur' from French? Simple: the French word had an additional meaning ("to put on airs") that the English 'poser' lacked. ... The word is almost always used with a negative connotation, conveying the skepticism we have for those who put on airs. Naturally, then, the word is frequently found in contexts of scenes and subcultures where there is suspicion of anyone who tries to associate without demonstrating that they belong."

    https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...poseur-history

    Does more than one individual on this board really think Jalen does not merit the attention he is getting from those who are recruiting him? Same question regarding the notion that Jalen is a talentless individual who puts on airs about being a baller, but hedoesn't belong-- how many of you are on board for that? Good grief!

    Does more than one individual on this board really think the three amigos that Jalen has been a part of, texting to and about, and being photographed with, are part of a ruse? That they really are not good friends he would like to play ball with? Same question regarding the notion that Jalen has been putting on airs about liking everything about GU, while he really detested his visit, disliked the coaches, and rejected the GU family tradition -- how many of you are on board with that notion? Double good grief!!

    It's my opinion that a much more appropriate example of a poseur in this thread is an individual who claims to be a devoted GU fan while continually, predictably, and with little forethought criticises, demeans, and disparages those recruits and players who have the misfortune to attract his ire. When someone claims to be a Gonzaga fan, but cannot refrain from attacking most of the players and recruits -- that in my opinion is an example of a true poseur.

    Think of it this way: if someone claims to have the perfect family, but he only likes one of the kids and two of his cousins, and he continually disparages his wife and all the rest of his family, isn't he just "putting on airs" when he makes his claim? Isn't that a more appropriate example of a real poser?

    I can only hope that if Jalen or his family read this thread and see the poseur crack that they do as my Momma always said: "Just consider the source." Like almost any BB fan site on the internet, on this board we have our share of old folks who probably sound like (and perhaps even look like) that cranky old codger who lives down the street from the Suggs. Jalen: Ignore the codgers! You won't see them on the team, you won't see them in class or on campus, you won't see them in the locker room, and you won't see them in the stands (they can't stand for a full game). Sign with GU because the vast majority of us will welcome you with open arms.
    Last edited by SLOZag; 11-05-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

  5. #1205
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    972

    Default

    Really don’t feel any less positive about Jalen Suggs ending up as a Zag! There’s always been the possibility that he won’t, but this one really does feel like he’ll commit. There’s been a few in the past that got away, but they felt less certain than Suggs. Not buying into the negativity until the posters clearly in the know start ringing the alarm bells. Until then, I’ll be patiently awaiting January 4th!

  6. #1206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YankMyZAG View Post
    Its totally unjust. This kid owes us nothing. He is a kid who is trying to make the biggest decision that he probably has had to make. He isn't doing it on a timeline that works for us, that's our problem, not his. And calling a child names says more about you than him. Kinda sad really. Go root for Kentucky with that kind of attitude.
    Eeeeeaasy! I couldn't agree with you more, as I said he is just a kid. This is his decision and I would imagine
    as you mentioned the biggest decision he has had to make. With his talent he has more options and more doors open than most really good players after high school. Maybe my French isn't great, but i dont really look at poseur as being diffrent than poser. I look at it more like ' Pose' -act of standing or sitting, usually adopted for effect to be photographed, painted-.
    Im not a big fan of subtle hints or putting things out on social media that lead people on.
    I said "he seems like a good kid and he can really play."
    I am here solely for my passion that is Gonzaga basketball!
    Just because I live in Florida don't assume I dont have family ties to Gonzaga, and please dont tell me to root for Kentucky. Lets get back to baketball that why we are here
    Last edited by FloridaZagFan; 11-05-2019 at 04:20 AM.

  7. #1207
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    Eeeeeaasy! I couldn't agree with you more, as I said he is just a kid. This is his decision and I would imagine
    as you mentioned the biggest decision he has had to make. With his talent he has more options and more doors open than most really good players after high school. Maybe my French isn't great, but i dont really look at poseur as being diffrent than poser. I look at it more like ' Pose' -act of standing or sitting, usually adopted for effect to be photographed, painted-.
    Im not a big fan of subtle hints or putting things out on social media that lead people on.
    I said "he seems like a good kid and he can really play."
    I am here solely for my passion that is Gonzaga basketball!
    Just because I live in Florida don't assume I dont have family ties to Gonzaga, and please dont tell me to root for Kentucky. Lets get back to baketball that why we are here
    Yup. The in loco parentis on this board sometimes gets, well, loco. And the loyalty test is the inevitable, if tiresome rebuke of posters who don’t look or speak like true believers. The kid is a very public figure by choice and if he plays pro whatever this will be run of the mill. What puzzles me is that shouldn’t their be some consternation that per Caldwell and others he committed to Few and now is straying? Isn’t GU Uber alles?

  8. #1208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    Eeeeeaasy! I couldn't agree with you more, as I said he is just a kid. This is his decision and I would imagine
    as you mentioned the biggest decision he has had to make. With his talent he has more options and more doors open than most really good players after high school. Maybe my French isn't great, but i dont really look at poseur as being diffrent than poser. I look at it more like ' Pose' -act of standing or sitting, usually adopted for effect to be photographed, painted-.
    Im not a big fan of subtle hints or putting things out on social media that lead people on.
    I said "he seems like a good kid and he can really play."
    I am here solely for my passion that is Gonzaga basketball!
    Just because I live in Florida don't assume I dont have family ties to Gonzaga, and please dont tell me to root for Kentucky. Lets get back to baketball that why we are here
    My reply was meant for that other guy. My apologies.

  9. #1209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Yup. The in loco parentis on this board sometimes gets, well, loco. And the loyalty test is the inevitable, if tiresome rebuke of posters who don’t look or speak like true believers. The kid is a very public figure by choice and if he plays pro whatever this will be run of the mill. What puzzles me is that shouldn’t their be some consternation that per Caldwell and others he committed to Few and now is straying? Isn’t GU Uber alles?
    Because he is a public figure, you get to call a child names? I hope your children aren't ever in a position to be ragged on by losers like yourself. You can be skeptical of a kid signing here but don't act like your actions are normal

  10. #1210

    Default

    I watched him play in Kansas city, the kid is tough. He's got some flash to his game that's just who he is on the court. When i say flash its in a good way! He was in total control but actually having fun, when you could tell other players were stressed trying to impress coaches.
    I think his biggest asset is how he thinks on the court, he has total confidence in his game. As I said I hope it works out, he seems like a nice kid and can really play.
    As Gonzaga fans we all have common goals. Mine selfishly would be to see Jalen in a Gonzaga uniform next year droping 40 on Arizona!

  11. #1211
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I could make a killing selling chill pills on this forum. I don't know how this overseas stuff came about but relax.
    The overseas stuff is a legit concern and I do have info on that, but like I said GU is still the favorite. I put us at 80% yesterday, just saying those are pretty good odds. There are a few people in his inner circle that would like to see him make money next year, we just have to watch this play out, but ultimately I believe Suggs will be a Zag.

  12. #1212
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    The overseas stuff is a legit concern and I do have info on that, but like I said GU is still the favorite. I put us at 80% yesterday, just saying those are pretty good odds. There are a few people in his inner circle that would like to see him make money next year, we just have to watch this play out, but ultimately I believe Suggs will be a Zag.
    Any idea as to his family's financial situation? I would venture that that would have a lot of influence on where he winds up if there is a financial need for it.

  13. #1213
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    587

    Default Finally certainty: Jalen Suggs to announce January 4, 2020

    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...month-expecte/

    Was this posted already? It's a day old, but I didn't see it in the Suggs thread. Mods move when you feel appropriate.

  14. #1214
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Any idea as to his family's financial situation? I would venture that that would have a lot of influence on where he winds up if there is a financial need for it.
    No, but honestly even if I did I would not post that on here, as that is to personal in my opinion.

  15. #1215
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Snorkeling the Washougal River
    Posts
    2,635

    Smile

    Caldwell, you got anything on this? To add, confirm, etc.?





    :]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

  16. #1216
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    The overseas stuff is a legit concern and I do have info on that, but like I said GU is still the favorite. I put us at 80% yesterday, just saying those are pretty good odds. There are a few people in his inner circle that would like to see him make money next year, we just have to watch this play out, but ultimately I believe Suggs will be a Zag.
    Some of the social media comments from what would be his fellow 2020 zags are making me less worried about it. It seems that they are aware of something that the rest of us are not.

  17. #1217
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnOGU View Post
    Some of the social media comments from what would be his fellow 2020 zags are making me less worried about it. It seems that they are aware of something that the rest of us are not.
    Dom and Julian are very optimistic and honestly I am as well. I just have to be honest with you about where things stand, it is not as much of a slam dunk as it once was. And he could commit to GU and then get blown away by an offer overseas and still decide to go (I truly doubt that would happen). I only put Florida in there, as currently they are the school that "could" allow him to play both and he is willing to visit there if things work out.

    AGAIN I fully expect him to be a Zag.

  18. #1218
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,078

    Default

    Good sized discussion in the recruiting forum from yesterday when it first came out.

  19. #1219
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YankMyZAG View Post
    Because he is a public figure, you get to call a child names? I hope your children aren't ever in a position to be ragged on by losers like yourself. You can be skeptical of a kid signing here but don't act like your actions are normal
    Yank it!

  20. #1220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Yank it!
    Im disappointed in you. Ive seen your level of trolling and comments. You can do better than that.

  21. #1221
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YankMyZAG View Post
    Im disappointed in you. Ive seen your level of trolling and comments. You can do better than that.
    You’re right. I’m on a SAN to JFK flight. Go-go is spotty. I’ll try harder.

  22. #1222
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    You’re right. I’m on a SAN to JFK flight. Go-go is spotty. I’ll try harder.
    Retracted comment...I'll take the high road in the future.....
    Last edited by zagnut2012; 11-05-2019 at 01:27 PM. Reason: guilty of speaking the truth

  23. #1223
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    985

    Default

    Seems to me there is a confluence of factors that have led us to where we are in this thread. From the start there was skepticism, excitement, disbelief and exuberant optimism concerning the recruitment of this young man.

    What has followed resembles the proverbial yo-yo. No one person is to blame, yet everyone that has participated is to blame. There have been declarations of absolute certainty by some here, both positive and negative. There have been cryptic hints by the principle subject. There has been speculation by the completely uninformed.

    Jalen and his people could have avoided a lot of this by staying off social media and dropping hints as to timelines and destinations.

    People on this board could have avoided a lot of angst by taking social media posts by a 17 y/o kid with a grain of salt.

    I hope Jalen makes the correct decision for himself. Not what his family wants. Not what people on this board want. And certainly not what his "advisors" want.

    I want him to be a Zag. But, what I want doesn't count.

  24. #1224
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I hope Jalen makes the correct decision for himself. Not what his family wants. Not what people on this board want. And certainly not what his "advisors" want.

    I want him to be a Zag. But, what I want doesn't count.
    Well said! x2

    I just want him to be happy. I would hate if he came to GU and regretted his decision.

  25. #1225
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...month-expecte/

    Was this posted already? It's a day old, but I didn't see it in the Suggs thread. Mods move when you feel appropriate.
    Not sure if it was posted or not, but this is the date that he will be announcing his decision. It is a huge basketball day for Jalen all around, so it makes perfect sense.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •