Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1299

Thread: 2020 Jalen Suggs Offer

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I would say that as of today odds go like this 80% GU/19% Overseas/1% Florida

We will be looking hard into the grad transfer market is my guess and may even look there with Suggs in the fold if Joel doesn't have a breakout year.

Those are awfully optimistic odds. The overseas option is starting to sound very real with GU at the underdog. It would really suck if he goes pro when we had some kids who really wanted to be Zags that we passed on.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Those are awfully optimistic odds. The overseas option is starting to sound very real with GU at the underdog. It would really suck if he goes pro when we had some kids who really wanted to be Zags that we passed on.
    I still think he ends up going to college and not pro. I do think it is a real option, but as you said it is going to really suck if he goes pro. The guys we have passed on for him would have made great Zags as well.

Not sure how the "pro" thing sounds more likely than GU. The way I read it from the article, I'd say its just been something that has held him back from deciding a while ago.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

[...] The guys we have passed on for him would have made great Zags as well.
    It seems like a calculated risk and I can't question the coaches because I only see the stuff everyone outside of the staff sees or is posted here. I have to wonder what the calculus is, though At some point, a PG in the hand has to be worth a Suggs in the bush, doesn't it? Maybe that's Dom Harris... I hope that they didn't pass on very good players to the detriment of the team.

I would say that as of today odds go like this 80% GU/19% Overseas/1% Florida

We will be looking hard into the grad transfer market is my guess and may even look there with Suggs in the fold if Joel doesn't have a breakout year.
    From hearing the "chatter" locally, here in Mpls, I'd flip GU and Overseas/NBL odds.

His parents are pretty set on it, by all accounts.

in the end it's a business decision at this level.

College experience vs Injury potential vs money

it is what it is....support the process...fingers crossed

Recruiting in general, and paying this much attention to a child, is such an unsavory business.

Suggs will do whatever he thinks is going to pad his wallet, which is his prerogative, but I think the instagramming in the GU outfit was a bad move if he goes pro or Florida.

To preface, I know diddly dink about what Suggs will do. What I will say is what Ive said before, I think it was foolhardy of GU to pass up a bird or two in the hand for one in the bush with Suggs. Even if he comes here, theres other players that might not develop (Ravet, Joel) and theres injuries. All our eggs in one basket is never a good plan. But again, what do I know?

I still think that college is far better for a player, in the big picture, from an exposure/development level. The drawback, of course, is that they don't get compensated like they would overseas for the season. I still think that he plays in college as opposed to overseas and that he plays for Gonzaga.

On a positive note -- Harris is doing a solid job on his high school team and would be able to run point for us -- but Suggs would be ideal.

I know I get labeled an optimist many times on here with my percentages, but from what I am hearing from GU is they expect Suggs to be the PG next year. BUT what I am hearing from some of my AAU contacts is that the money aspect is real. He doesn't care about the lack of exposure overseas, as his circle thinks he is in a similar position as RJ Hampton and they believe he is a 2021 lottery pick. Julian and Dom fully believe he is coming to GU, Few and Co fully believe he is coming to GU, but there are some that are closer to Suggs that believe overseas is an option. Florida becomes a legit option if he decides to try both and they give him the green light (that is why it's 1% or less in my book).

Welp - better start lowering expectations now so that it doesn't hurt so much come Jan 4th. Dom looks like he's got a tight handle and good vision from the vids I've seen, plus you have to imagine that that there'd be another grad transfer or two coming in at the guard positions next year to fill out depth.

There is no denying he is good, but very, very honestly, he is not NBA prospect ready yet at all. The college game is as different from highschool as the pro game is from college. He would be lost and discarded in the NBA right now. When the rules were different, there were very few people that went direct from high school to the league and did well. Overseas doesnt develop anyone, they are a holding place so I see it as going direct with the skillset you currently have. He is not Kobe, Garnett or Labron.

There are normally 5-7 one and done guys per draft in the lottery. Right now Ball is skyrocketing up boards according to analysts, but NBA teams are still queasy about his background and playing so far away doesn't necessarily help. RJ hampton has a much higher upside than Jalen based on his length and play making abilities. Playing overseas is so dangerous and Jalen would be looking at around 250 max for that one year if everything goes right. To me he is an almost exact clone of Cory Joseph and will follow that sort of trajectory as the third guard in the NBA. He is excellent athlete, but not a Rose Westbrook level athlete and he doesn't have the ball skills or shooting to make up for that difference in athleticism based off of his playing style. Is this guy really worth it for the amount of trouble it is to close the deal? It sounds like he has terrible advice in his corner.

I know i will get plenty of grief but I enjoy the "under the radar" players and the players that will be here at least 2 years. That is despite the level of recruits needed to contend for the national championship. Jalen Suggs is one kid. Whether he comes or not, particularly for one year, does not really bother me one way or another. I guess Williams-Goss and Clarke would be in the same category but they had a redshirt year to gel with the "team". From some posters I guess this could be the comments that torpedo his commitment but that would be sad.

I know this will draw heat, but the kid is a poseur.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    To preface, I know diddly dink about what Suggs will do. What I will say is what Ive said before, I think it was foolhardy of GU to pass up a bird or two in the hand for one in the bush with Suggs. Even if he comes here, theres other players that might not develop (Ravet, Joel) and theres injuries. All our eggs in one basket is never a good plan. But again, what do I know?

Don’t blame Few. He’s a straight shooter and likely took Mr Uggs at his word. The Caliparis of the world play that three card monte game. Thank god for Few.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Grow up.

I still think he ends up going to college and not pro. I do think it is a real option, but as you said it is going to really suck if he goes pro. The guys we have passed on for him would have made great Zags as well.
    Were any of the kids we passed on (4 star athletes and above) likely sure bets if we were all in?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Got to remember he is just a kid and has a lot of people in his ear. This does seem to be drawn out a little much for my taste. Poseur is a stong statement but certainly not unjust given all the cryptic secrecy. Hope it works out he seems like a good kid and he can really play.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    Got to remember he is just a kid and has a lot of people in his ear. This does seem to be drawn out a little much for my taste. Poseur is a stong statement but certainly not unjust given all the cryptic secrecy. Hope it works out he seems like a good kid and he can really play.
    Its totally unjust. This kid owes us nothing. He is a kid who is trying to make the biggest decision that he probably has had to make. He isn't doing it on a timeline that works for us, that's our problem, not his. And calling a child names says more about you than him. Kinda sad really. Go root for Kentucky with that kind of attitude.

I could make a killing selling chill pills on this forum. I don't know how this overseas stuff came about but relax.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I could make a killing selling chill pills on this forum. I don't know how this overseas stuff came about but relax.
    Have info?

Default That "poseur" crack

"If we already had the word 'poser', what led us to borrow 'poseur' from French? Simple: the French word had an additional meaning ("to put on airs") that the English 'poser' lacked. ... The word is almost always used with a negative connotation, conveying the skepticism we have for those who put on airs. Naturally, then, the word is frequently found in contexts of scenes and subcultures where there is suspicion of anyone who tries to associate without demonstrating that they belong."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...poseur-history

Does more than one individual on this board really think Jalen does not merit the attention he is getting from those who are recruiting him? Same question regarding the notion that Jalen is a talentless individual who puts on airs about being a baller, but hedoesn't belong-- how many of you are on board for that? Good grief!

Does more than one individual on this board really think the three amigos that Jalen has been a part of, texting to and about, and being photographed with, are part of a ruse? That they really are not good friends he would like to play ball with? Same question regarding the notion that Jalen has been putting on airs about liking everything about GU, while he really detested his visit, disliked the coaches, and rejected the GU family tradition -- how many of you are on board with that notion? Double good grief!!

It's my opinion that a much more appropriate example of a poseur in this thread is an individual who claims to be a devoted GU fan while continually, predictably, and with little forethought criticises, demeans, and disparages those recruits and players who have the misfortune to attract his ire. When someone claims to be a Gonzaga fan, but cannot refrain from attacking most of the players and recruits -- that in my opinion is an example of a true poseur.

Think of it this way: if someone claims to have the perfect family, but he only likes one of the kids and two of his cousins, and he continually disparages his wife and all the rest of his family, isn't he just "putting on airs" when he makes his claim? Isn't that a more appropriate example of a real poser?

I can only hope that if Jalen or his family read this thread and see the poseur crack that they do as my Momma always said: "Just consider the source." Like almost any BB fan site on the internet, on this board we have our share of old folks who probably sound like (and perhaps even look like) that cranky old codger who lives down the street from the Suggs. Jalen: Ignore the codgers! You won't see them on the team, you won't see them in class or on campus, you won't see them in the locker room, and you won't see them in the stands (they can't stand for a full game). Sign with GU because the vast majority of us will welcome you with open arms.
    Last edited by SLOZag; 11-05-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Really don’t feel any less positive about Jalen Suggs ending up as a Zag! There’s always been the possibility that he won’t, but this one really does feel like he’ll commit. There’s been a few in the past that got away, but they felt less certain than Suggs. Not buying into the negativity until the posters clearly in the know start ringing the alarm bells. Until then, I’ll be patiently awaiting January 4th!