Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Jalen Suggs Offer

Has a blue blood sniped Suggs away from us?

Nice article in the Spokesman tonight:

Two-sport star Jalen Suggs high on Gonzaga, and vice versa

He's not announcing for awhile:
    Suggs doesn’t have a firm timeline, but hinted at deciding in the near future so he can concentrate on his senior year. He has a busy summer with USA Basketball and the AAU circuit.

Suggs and Gonzaga commit Anton Watson are at the USA’s U19 World Cup training camp in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Players who make the 12-player roster will compete at the FIBA World Cup from June 29-July 7 in Greece. Big AAU tournaments in Atlanta and Las Vegas fill up much of July for Suggs.

“I had talked with my parents,” Suggs said. “I want to do it after Las Vegas, there’s three weeks until school starts. Maybe (announce a decision) in those three weeks or early on in the school year.”
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    Nice article in the Spokesman tonight:

Two-sport star Jalen Suggs high on Gonzaga, and vice versa

He's not announcing for awhile:
    The above timeline actually works well in our favor if Suggs holds to it. As the article stipulates, assuming he makes USA basketball, he will essentially be traveling all of July between USA hoops and AAU. If he plans to decide in late July, that essentially leaves no time for any other official visits!

So it would be crazy for someone as good as Suggs at basketball to even consider choosing football because of the injury risks. HOWEVER, when a kid loves both sports equally and could probably end up playing either one professionally, maybe he would want to keep his options open. Choosing Gonzaga would do that for him because if he wanted to switch sports he wouldn’t have to sit out a year when transferring. Perhaps the only upside in our not having a football program is this small recruiting advantage. Yes, this probably doesn’t come into his decision process when choosing schools, but maybe it does?
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

If Suggs comes to Gonzaga, is he expected to start every game as a true freshman point guard?

I don’t know how many hours of his tape I’ve watched (and I don’t claim to be a good evaluator of basketball talent) but I’ve just never seen a high school recruit for us as overall skilled and mature. Honestly, he looks like he could get minutes in the NBA tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    I don’t know how many hours of his tape I’ve watched (and I don’t claim to be a good evaluator of basketball talent) but I’ve just never seen a high school recruit for us as overall skilled and mature. Honestly, he looks like he could get minutes in the NBA tomorrow.
    Cool... The reason I ask is because there will be good programs that offer Suggs a guaranteed starting spot and to do everything to prepare him for a high pick after his freshman year. Can Gonzaga compete with an offer like that? If he goes basketball only and skips football (which he should do no matter where he goes if he's considering his long term health and wealth as top priorities) he'll presumably be looking to go to the league asap.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    If Suggs comes to Gonzaga, is he expected to start every game as a true freshman point guard?
    No question.

He will share lead guard duties with Dom Harris as well, yet primarily Suggs up top.

He is a single digit recruit for a reason, and ranked the #1 or #2 best CG in the nation.

Our highest ranked guard recruit was near Top 40, and he was a transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    He won’t come to Gonzaga without a comfortable understanding that the ball will be in his hands immediately. Period. On the flip side, we wouldn’t waste our time recruiting him if we didn’t plan to start him. Period!
    Happy Father’s Day everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    He won’t come to Gonzaga without a comfortable understanding that the ball will be in his hands immediately. Period. On the flip side, we wouldn’t waste our time recruiting him if we didn’t plan to start him. Period!
    Happy Father’s Day everyone.
    That's true. He seems like a special player, like the caliber of player the coaches would want year in year out for the program. I'm always excited when we get these grad transfers but I worry that astute recruits would be concerned that the program values college experience to the detriment of their playing time and NBA exposure.

Two-Sport Star Jalen Suggs Has Eye On Basketball For Now As A U19 World Cup Team Hopeful

https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...s-feature.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Has a blue blood sniped Suggs away from us?
    Gonzaga perfect fit for Suggs....WCC the problem...don't think we overcome thought of playing Pacific or Portland while Suggs dreams of ACC SEC weekly matchups. keeping kids from West Coast on West Coast is one thing getting top ranked kid from MN to come to WCC heavy lift.

who'll be surprise if Suggs heads to ACC SEC? not me...just getting prepared hope I'm wrong.

JAFO

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Gonzaga perfect fit for Suggs....WCC the problem...don't think we overcome thought of playing Pacific or Portland while Suggs dreams of ACC SEC weekly matchups. keeping kids from West Coast on West Coast is one thing getting top ranked kid from MN to come to WCC heavy lift.

who'll be surprise if Suggs heads to ACC SEC? not me...just getting prepared hope I'm wrong.

JAFO
    I would be shocked. You said it yourself, you're "just getting prepared." There's a lot of posters on here that make up dialogues in their own head, ignoring quotes and tea leaves and in this case Josh Gershon predictions. All for the purpose of pretending to be less let down if it doesn't come to fruition.

Gonzaga is the favorite to land Jalen Suggs. Because of the many, many positives we bring to the table that vastly outweigh the negative of playing in the WCC. For the people that need to hang on something to feel better while we wait, think about how Jalen's dad used Ja Morant as his one example of how fit is the most important thing to keep in mind when choosing a college program. Playing at Murray State worked out just fine for Ja. This example was picked for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    I There's a lot of posters on here that make up dialogues in their own head, ignoring quotes and tea leaves and in this case Josh Gershon predictions. All for the purpose of pretending to be less let down if it doesn't come to fruition.

Gonzaga is the favorite to land Jalen Suggs
    Qfft.

Not me...I could care less if he comes here or not.....if he comes here fine....if he chooses to go elsewhere fine....that is what he should do.

I might be annoyed or maybe amused if he makes his announcement with a press conference from a hot tub with 5 caps from different schools he considered ….. as if it is a BFD and we are so blessed.....
    Last edited by bartruff1; 06-17-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Unless I'm mistaken, Suggs still hasn't made any official visits other than GU. To me, that's a pretty clear message. I will continue to feel good about our chances until he starts using those other visits.

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post

JAFO

INstagram story last night-- someone asked about Gonzaga--- he reposted teasing that hes not worthy to play w Dom and Julian, then reposted their replies with them indicating it was somewhat of a done deal. At least that is what i got from it. If you have no clue what any of this means or what an IG story is, i am sorry i am confusing the heck out you. Point is, i believe it is a good sign for the good guys.

Smile

Link, Zagsfanforlife?

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Link, Zagsfanforlife?

:]
    Wish i was tech savvy enough. Do you follow Suggs on Instagram? If so, it is on his story.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Wish i was tech savvy enough. Do you follow Suggs on Instagram? If so, it is on his story.
    When does he say he's opting for Boston College?

This hasnt been thrown out yet, but Suggs is good friends with RJ Hampton.. how upset are we going to be if he pulls a Hampton and goes and plays pro in New Zealand or Australia, makes a million next year and bypasses college altogether???

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    This hasnt been thrown out yet, but Suggs is good friends with RJ Hampton.. how upset are we going to be if he pulls a Hampton and goes and plays pro in New Zealand or Australia, makes a million next year and bypasses college altogether???
    Wouldn’t bother bartruf a bit.

Yup...not a bit... but if I was him I would go play quarterback at Alabama....Roll Tide...….Brock Osweiler has done pretty well...

Corey Evans

Verified account

@coreyevans_10
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    Another high level session at USAB. Kira Lewis, Casey Morsell, Bryce Wills and Dajuan Gordon among the college standouts. Jalen Green, Josh Christopher, Ziaire Williams and Jalen Suggs high schoolers that left a fine impression