Page 39 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 975 of 1322

Thread: 2020 Jalen Suggs Offer

  1. #951
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I'm not Irish nor am I in Ireland BUT I am a fan of the Irish and Ireland...it was the first country I ever visited and we are planning on going next year...
    If you do end up visiting Ireland and it is a basketball season, you can go to my home and we can watch the zags game together.
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

  2. #952
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    348

  3. #953
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,377

    Default

    Suggs is probably a bona fide 5 star in BB, but that’s not exactly high end high school FB comp he’s going against.

  4. #954
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Suggs is probably a bona fide 5 star in BB, but that’s not exactly high end high school FB comp he’s going against.
    From what I have read, he’s a better basketball prospect (disclaimer: I’ve never seen him play either sport)

  5. #955
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Suggs is probably a bona fide 5 star in BB, but that’s not exactly high end high school FB comp he’s going against.
    Not sure that matters. He is more than likely a high end football prospect simply based on his athletic ability and not necessarily on his lack of competition.

  6. #956
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Not sure that matters. He is more than likely a high end football prospect simply based on his athletic ability and not necessarily on his lack of competition.
    Good pt.

  7. #957
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    From what I have read, he’s a better basketball prospect (disclaimer: I’ve never seen him play either sport)
    You've never seen Suggs play basketball?

  8. #958
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    You've never seen Suggs play basketball?
    A few amazing dunks and highlight reel stuff...

  9. #959
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    A few amazing dunks and highlight reel stuff...
    Excellent response. Watching someone play basketball entails much more than seeing a few clips. Highlight reels can give an indication of athleticism and maybe show a level of individual offensive/defensive skill but reveals very little in the way of an overall basketball product. That’s why coaches go watch players several times before offering.

  10. #960
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Excellent response. Watching someone play basketball entails much more than seeing a few clips. Highlight reels can give an indication of athleticism and maybe show a level of individual offensive/defensive skill but reveals very little in the way of an overall basketball product. That’s why coaches go watch players several times before offering.
    Especially important, it seems to me, for a PG. Floor game is a talent that is as important as the more quantifiable skills like shooting/dribbling/passing, especially if you are going to be leading a team and may only be around for 1-2 years. Suggs needs to come with a good feel for the game or he will hurt his team. I think of Demetri Goodson, who had some very good tools (shooting aside) but ended up ceding playing time to David Stockton, who ran the team better (and seemed to have a symbiotic connection with Sam Dower in the post)

  11. #961
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    348

    Default

    It must be tough being a Minnesota fan this year. So much great talent within a stone's throw of the campus and they won't haul anyone in. They just lost Ben Carlson to Wisconsin.

  12. #962
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cave-in-rock,il
    Posts
    195

    Default

    If you were an athlete, would you want to go to Minnesota ? I wouldn't.

  13. #963
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    If you were an athlete, would you want to go to Minnesota ? I wouldn't.
    In terms of location I don't think Wisconsin is much better, or even Spokane for that matter.

  14. #964
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cave-in-rock,il
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    In terms of location I don't think Wisconsin is much better, or even Spokane for that matter.
    It doesn't have anything to do with location, Minnesota athletics just simply suck.

  15. #965
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    It must be tough being a Minnesota fan this year. So much great talent within a stone's throw of the campus and they won't haul anyone in. They just lost Ben Carlson to Wisconsin.
    Just like the Reid Travis/Rashad Vaughn/Tyus Jones year

  16. #966
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    Didn't Minnesota have a problem with their football team last year or the year before, where the players almost went on "strike" and the coach supported his players and then got fired...I wonder if this issue hasn't added to their problem of recruiting athletes...

  17. #967
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Didn't Minnesota have a problem with their football team last year or the year before, where the players almost went on "strike" and the coach supported his players and then got fired...I wonder if this issue hasn't added to their problem of recruiting athletes...
    That was about 3 years ago before PJ Fleck took over as Head Coach. I don't think that has had too big of an impact on recruiting.

    Overall there are a number of factors that have hindered in-state recruitment including lack of recent success, the fact that Minneapolis is very much a pro sports market, turnover in the coaching staff and administration within the last ten years, and also people have complained about the level of effort Pitino has put into developing relationships with local HS coaches. I give Pitino a pass on the Tyus Jones, Rashad Vaughn, Reid Travis & JP Macura class because he had just taken over on the job, but it'd be a bad look for him if they struck out on all top in-state players this year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #968
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GuZag2012 View Post
    That was about 3 years ago before PJ Fleck took over as Head Coach. I don't think that has had too big of an impact on recruiting.

    Overall there are a number of factors that have hindered in-state recruitment including lack of recent success, the fact that Minneapolis is very much a pro sports market, turnover in the coaching staff and administration within the last ten years, and also people have complained about the level of effort Pitino has put into developing relationships with local HS coaches. I give Pitino a pass on the Tyus Jones, Rashad Vaughn, Reid Travis & JP Macura class because he had just taken over on the job, but it'd be a bad look for him if they struck out on all top in-state players this year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think they might be headed for that look. I think the top two guys left are Suggs and Gracia both of which are poised to go elsewhere. They are the current favorites for Chet right now on 247 but that will be changing quickly.

  19. #969
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    They are the current favorites for Chet right now on 247 but that will be changing quickly.
    Such a tease.

  20. #970

    Default

    I read on Twitter that the zags are visiting with karim mane and kerwin Walton both guards in the 2020 class. Does that mean that they are worried about missing out on suggs or are they doing due diligence. Or is there room for both suggs and one of them?

  21. #971
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YankMyZAG View Post
    I read on Twitter that the zags are visiting with karim mane and kerwin Walton both guards in the 2020 class. Does that mean that they are worried about missing out on suggs or are they doing due diligence. Or is there room for both suggs and one of them?
    The fact that Suggs hasn't visited any other schools (officially) and is already coming back for his second official to gonzaga pretty much squashes any worry. From the people I've talked to they still have a huge battle to not lose Walker to Duke so I believe that is where they are doing there due diligence. That being said two things.

    1. Gonzaga has two opening left for next year so they are still exploring talent that has open recruiting and traditionally we have been very good with guys like Karim Mane. Gonzaga also will need the most help at guard next year as they expect most/all the bigs to stay with the exception of Tille.
    2. Kessler is a stretch for us based on location. It is well excepted that Gonzaga is in the top 3 and IMO Gonzaga is easily the best fit for him. I can promise that the Zags will be pulling out all the stops for him and Suggs in two week.

  22. #972
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    348

    Default

    If I were the staff I would be bringing up Zach Collins for that visit who even though has a different body type, plays extremely similar to Kessler.

  23. #973
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    991

    Default

    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-guard-steward

    "Coach K, Duke land blue-chip '20 guard Steward"

    Don't know if this impacts Suggs. Seems like Duke is set at guard.

    "The Blue Devils are now focused on the frontcourt for the rest of the 2020 class, with five-stars Ziaire Williams and Walker Kessler and four-stars Henry Coleman and Mark Williams among the top targets."

  24. #974
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-guard-steward

    Don't know if this impacts Suggs. Seems like Duke is set at guard.

    "The Blue Devils are now focused on the frontcourt for the rest of the 2020 class, with five-stars Ziaire Williams and Walker Kessler and four-stars Henry Coleman and Mark Williams among the top targets."
    Not for Suggs. I believe Florida, Florida State and Iowa State have a lottery chance of getting suggs if Gonzaga doesn't. What does impact gonzaga in this article is Mark Williams. I would like to see Mark Williams commit to Duke before Walker makes his decision. I think Duke already having a top front court player might impact his decision and level the playing field.

  25. #975
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YankMyZAG View Post
    I read on Twitter that the zags are visiting with karim mane and kerwin Walton both guards in the 2020 class. Does that mean that they are worried about missing out on suggs or are they doing due diligence. Or is there room for both suggs and one of them?
    These guys sound like added depth to go along with the prized Jalen Suggs. They also sound like 3-4 year program guys. The staff shouldn’t never abandon finding guys that can play roles for multiple years... Otherwise, they’ll start having a hard time going deep consistently like Kentucky. Grad transfers aren’t always the best answer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •