Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Jalen Suggs Offer

I cannot believe that a kid from Minnesota...... that is being recruited by Minnesota...…… won't go to Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I cannot believe that a kid from Minnesota...... that is being recruited by Minnesota...…… won't go to Minnesota.

Just a guess bart, but maybe stability of programs? Had Minnesota not made a late run in the Big 10 Tourney I thought there were rumors that Pitino was out the door.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

If Minnesota could keep their in-state talent home they could have a great squad. The state has been producing a lot of great players recently but rarely land the top ranked players.

As an Minnesotan and Gophers fan I’d like to see them land more top in-state talent unless the player goes to Gonzaga. As a Gonzaga grad the Zags will always be my top team!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    FWIW I don't think the Osweiler comp holds much water, for the simple reason that BO (wouldn't you love to have those initials) wasn't ever gonna play in the NBA, while Suggs projects to be a first rounder, most likely.
    last Pres )

Quote Originally Posted by GuZag2012 View Post
    Article that was posted recently on Gopherhole that I don’t think has been posted yet.

https://main.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/1029743

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Good pt. But the notion that Dook wont have comparable bigs is incorrect, IMO.
    I am not saying Duke won't have comparable bigs, I am just stating that our 2019 class is the best group of bigs out there and if/when we land Kessler too our bigs will be second to none in 2020. Period. Nothing about Duke not being good or having good bigs, just ours will be the best in the country in 2020.

Why? Minnesota isn't a basketball power. Top players want to go to wherever they perceive is best for their careers. And they've been traveling on the tourney circuit both in the AAU and with top hs teams for years. Now, if you substitute North Carolina or Kentucky in the above, I'd tend to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    Zion Williamson
    Marvin Bagley
    Wendel Carter
    Okafer
    Parker
    Plumlee

They've had one season probably without a big man of some sort that wasn't pretty dang good.
    Went back 5 years. Had Okafor in 14, Ingram in 15 (really a wing), Tatum in 16 (again a wing), Bagley and Carter in 17, Zion in 18 (another wing). I still wouldn’t say they’ve been flush with bigs like GU has.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Went back 5 years. Had Okafor in 14, Ingram in 15 (really a wing), Tatum in 16 (again a wing), Bagley and Carter in 17, Zion in 18 (another wing). I still wouldn’t say they’ve been flush with bigs like GU has.
    I like to think the Zags have had better big men. But that could be because I define big men like it is 1995 rather than modern era basketball. The Zags are one of the few teams left that really work the ball into post up (high and low) situations for their bigs.

But if we want to look at this decade:

2010: Zoubek, Plumlee and Plumlee vs Sacre, Pre-clynic Olynyk, Foster
    2011: Plumlee, Plumlee vs Sacre, Harris, Dower, Pre-clynic Olynyk
    2012: Plumlee, Plumlee, Kelly vs Sacre, Harris, Dower
    2013: Plumlee (#5), Kelly vs Olynyk (#6), Harris
    2014: Parker (#5), Jefferson, Plumlee vs Dower, Karnowski
    2015: Okafer (#2), Plumlee vs Wiltjer (#8), Karnowski, Sabonis
    2016: Plumlee, Ingram vs Sabonis (#8), Wiltjer
    2017: Jefferson, Tatum vs Karno, Collins, Williams, Tillie
    2018: Bagley (#3), Wendell Carter vs Williams, Tillie, Rui
    2019: Zion (#7 would have been #1 if not for injury) vs BC (#5), Rui (#10)

I think we got them on bigs, but not by a whole lot. Every time we have a Rui, Olynyk, Sabonis, they have a guy higher in KenPom's top 10 it seems like. And we can discount Zion, but then we should discount our post guys that play on the wing too, like Wiltjer and Rui. But could you imagine twenty years ago wondering if Duke has had as good of big guys as Gonzaga, the new Gold-standard for post players and their development? Insane.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    I like to think the Zags have had better big men. But that could be because I define big men like it is 1995 rather than modern era basketball. The Zags are one of the few teams left that really work the ball into post up (high and low) situations for their bigs.

But if we want to look at this decade:

2010: Zoubek, Plumlee and Plumlee vs Sacre, Pre-clynic Olynyk, Foster
    2011: Plumlee, Plumlee vs Sacre, Harris, Dower, Pre-clynic Olynyk
    2012: Plumlee, Plumlee, Kelly vs Sacre, Harris, Dower
    2013: Plumlee (#5), Kelly vs Olynyk (#6), Harris
    2014: Parker (#5), Jefferson, Plumlee vs Dower, Karnowski
    2015: Okafer (#2), Plumlee vs Wiltjer (#8), Karnowski, Sabonis
    2016: Plumlee, Ingram vs Sabonis (#8), Wiltjer
    2017: Jefferson, Tatum vs Karno, Collins, Williams, Tillie
    2018: Bagley (#3), Wendell Carter vs Williams, Tillie, Rui
    2019: Zion (#7 would have been #1 if not for injury) vs BC (#5), Rui (#10)

I think we got them on bigs, but not by a whole lot. Every time we have a Rui, Olynyk, Sabonis, they have a guy higher in KenPom's top 10 it seems like. And we can discount Zion, but then we should discount our post guys that play on the wing too, like Wiltjer and Rui. But could you imagine twenty years ago wondering if Duke has had as good of big guys as Gonzaga, the new Gold-standard for post players and their development? Insane.
    That’s all fair.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Jazz... ol buddy I think you are finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.... and if the Zags can scoop up Kessler too only fate will derail GU from their first Natty.... as very few, if any, teams in D1 will have the talent across the board to match up with our Zags... the ride keeps getting better and better....

Go! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

New interview with Suggs from 24/7:

https://247sports.com/college/basket...ine-133391726/

Particularly interesting that he is trying to set up an official visit with Harris & Strawther to for the Carolina game, yet wants to make a commit decision in August ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post

Particularly interesting that he is trying to set up an official visit with Harris & Strawther to for the Carolina game, yet wants to make a commit decision in August ?!?

Jazz can you explain what this means to us? LOL Jalen wants to come to the UNC game in December yet wants to make a decision in August?

I'll stick with my projection from months ago--he will be a Zag in the worst known secret since Wiltjer was headed to Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post

Last week he said after the football season, and 2 wks before that he said in June. Now its potentially August.

The kid is busy. With football and FIBA camps. He is still deciding

And dont think he really knows what he wants at this point.

Harris (I believe) took his official visit after his commitment to GU. It is not an uncommon practice.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Harris (I believe) took his official visit after his commitment to GU. It is not an uncommon practice.
    And how many have taken an official or even unofficial visit to a school AFTER they committed to another school?

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Last week he said after the football season, and 2 wks before that he said in June. Now its potentially August.

The kid is busy. With football and FIBA camps. He is still deciding

And dont think he really knows what he wants at this point.
    You can lead a horse to water...

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    And how many have taken an official or even unofficial visit to a school AFTER they committed to another school?
    Wait a minute...is this a trick question?

This sounds like a Yogism...like 99% of the short putts don't go in the hole...

By the way, "IF" the Three Musketeers visit during the UNC game, what kind of chance do we have of winning that game...has UNC reloaded or will they be on par with us? I know they lost three starters...just curious...

North Carolina top 5 are gone-- no double digit scorer returning.

They have the #2 recruit in PG Cole Anthony and the #18 C/F Armando Bacot coming in.

Really depends on how quick our guys come together and how the recovery from injuries has progressed with our big 3-- I give us a decent shot at it. I like that many of our guys are competing on the world stage and stepping up for their teams --- it will be a big game for us at home.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Jazz can you explain what this means to us? LOL Jalen wants to come to the UNC game in December yet wants to make a decision in August?

I'll stick with my projection from months ago--he will be a Zag in the worst known secret since Wiltjer was headed to Gonzaga.
    Damn if I know, BBZ. Seems like a confused kid. So many options, so many people tearing at him. BTW, of course you’re talking about the 2d time the great KW was headed for GU.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    North Carolina top 5 are gone-- no double digit scorer returning.

They have the #2 recruit in PG Cole Anthony and the #18 C/F Armando Bacot coming in.

Really depends on how quick our guys come together and how the recovery from injuries has progressed with our big 3-- I give us a decent shot at it. I like that many of our guys are competing on the world stage and stepping up for their teams --- it will be a big game for us at home.
    UNC also added two of the top 5 overall grad transfers as well. They went from not being ranked in preseason polls to a possible top 8 team in the country. They are good.

DON’T PRINT THAT

A little birdie says Minnehaha Academy incoming senior five-star point guard Jalen Suggs will commit to Gonzaga for basketball, but isn’t ready to announce because that would eliminate an invitation to the Under Armour All-America football game in Orlando, Fla., in January.

The 6-foot-4 Suggs also is a standout QB but will play basketball in college, then try to head for the NBA draft after one year. Suggs has played well for the U.S. Under-19 basketball team in the current World Cup in Greece.

Gonzaga, by the way, also is in hard pursuit of 6-11 Minnehaha junior teammate Chet Holmgren, son of former Gopher David Holmgren.
    https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/0...sotas-3m-open/

You’ll have to scroll to the bottom but over at TwinCities.com, Charlie Walters says that Duke target Jalen Suggs, who has gone on about being a two-sport star in college, is ready to commit to Gonzaga.

That of course means he’s giving up on football. Walters says he hasn’t announced yet because he wants to play in the the Under Armour All-America football game in January.

That’s going to drive Gonzaga coach Mark Few nuts because that gives him months to possibly change his mind.
    Duke Take

I heard the exact same thing about a month ago. Suggs will be a Zag just a matter of time now. This is as close to a done deal as you can get.