Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253 LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1320

Thread: 2020 Jalen Suggs Offer

  1. #1251
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    BUT...going to Florida to sit on the bench for your one year isn't so cool.
    Yeah, if he really is serious about considering playing overseas so he can make some money this upcoming year (because the thought of waiting just one more year to make REAL money in the NBA is just too tough to take), then no....he is not realistically considering playing three years of college football (required) before he could go to the NBA or NFL. So no, Florida, unless it is just for basketball, is not really being considered.

  2. #1252
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    I attended 3 of his SMB football games this season.

    He is a terrific athlete, with an extraordinary presence on the field, makes winning plays when needed, especially with his feet. Can throw a solid deep ball, although it sails sideways instead of downward spiral, and has good zip on short to intermediate throws.

    I see upside but Jalen isnt an elite prospect in football. I'd say a very good, strong, confident, tall athlete making highlight reel plays versus inferior competition.

    His HS, combined with 2 other HS's play in the 3rd ranked division in MN. Mostly comprised of small towns and private/charter schools, who specialize in bball and hockey, not football so much.

    Suggs team is the best in their respective division, and have won their championship for past couple years, which Jalen has played a major part in.

    he might be a better long term defensive prospect (elite safety) than QB.

    He shows promising upside at QB but relies heavily on being the better athlete than the competition. Jalen likely only player to receive serious D1 interest in his entire division. There is another kid on his team with offers.

    His long term sport is basketball. He is an elite prospect in the making, and still has room to improve in this sport as well, namely pick n roll play, and shooting, yet upside is clearly through the roof. Proven, and has shown elite skills vs top tier competition, has all the attributes, etc

    He is likely a couple seasons away to start at QB, as he faces a significant jump in competition, and still hasn't shown he can make sll the throws and/or simply out run or run around the opponents.

    He could likely start as a WR or Free Safety right away, but I see a 3 star type QB who still needs development at the position.

    Meanwhile, he is a 5 star basketball player who is more than likely a 1 and done talent, maybe 2 year at most.

    Football requires 3 years before he can even be drafted, not to mention chance of injury, especially as a freshman. Rate of injury much higher for younger players than upperclassmen in college FB.

    I love that he is passionate about both sports and being considered in both sports at the next level, yet no one has promised him a spot at QB, but rather as a gifted athlete they can mold into whatever suits them best. I know Iowa St was looking at him for multiple positions given that a lot of these QB prospects are more polished at that particular position.

    Its great he wants to play them but it's an unbelievable risky endeavor, not just from an injury standpoint yet also developmental standpoint.

    Similar to achieving work life balance, something has got to give, he will have to comprise one for the other on some level, if he wants to be truly elite.

  3. #1253
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    I attended 3 of his SMB football games this season.

    He is a terrific athlete, with an extraordinary presence on the field, makes winning plays when needed, especially with his feet. Can throw a solid deep ball, although it sails sideways instead of downward spiral, and has good zip on short to intermediate throws.

    I see upside but Jalen isnt an elite prospect in football. I'd say a very good, strong, confident, tall athlete making highlight reel plays versus inferior competition.

    His HS, combined with 2 other HS's play in the 3rd ranked division in MN. Mostly comprised of small towns and private/charter schools, who specialize in bball and hockey, not football so much.

    Suggs team is the best in their respective division, and have won their championship for past couple years, which Jalen has played a major part in.

    he might be a better long term defensive prospect (elite safety) than QB.

    He shows promising upside at QB but relies heavily on being the better athlete than the competition. Jalen likely only player to receive serious D1 interest in his entire division. There is another kid on his team with offers.

    His long term sport is basketball. He is an elite prospect in the making, and still has room to improve in this sport as well, namely pick n roll play, and shooting, yet upside is clearly through the roof. Proven, and has shown elite skills vs top tier competition, has all the attributes, etc

    He is likely a couple seasons away to start at QB, as he faces a significant jump in competition, and still hasn't shown he can make sll the throws and/or simply out run or run around the opponents.

    He could likely start as a WR or Free Safety right away, but I see a 3 star type QB who still needs development at the position.

    Meanwhile, he is a 5 star basketball player who is more than likely a 1 and done talent, maybe 2 year at most.

    Football requires 3 years before he can even be drafted, not to mention chance of injury, especially as a freshman. Rate of injury much higher for younger players than upperclassmen in college FB.

    I love that he is passionate about both sports and being considered in both sports at the next level, yet no one has promised him a spot at QB, but rather as a gifted athlete they can mold into whatever suits them best. I know Iowa St was looking at him for multiple positions given that a lot of these QB prospects are more polished at that particular position.

    Its great he wants to play them but it's an unbelievable risky endeavor, not just from an injury standpoint yet also developmental standpoint.

    Similar to achieving work life balance, something has got to give, he will have to comprise one for the other on some level, if he wants to be truly elite.
    An extremely enlightening/insightful post...thanks for sharing!!!

    There are hundreds of very good HS QB's but a limited number of elite QB's than can, if given the opportunity, play QB at P5 schools...GREAT comparison!!!

  4. #1254
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    An extremely enlightening/insightful post...thanks for sharing!!!

    There are hundreds of very good HS QB's but a limited number of elite QB's than can, if given the opportunity, play QB at P5 schools...GREAT comparison!!!
    He is a top 20 QB on all the recruiting sites, so fairly elite. That being said to play as a freshman in football is rare, especially at QB, and he would have to stay a minimum of 3 years in college. I just dont see how football can even be a realistic option unless that is truelly his love. If hes looking to make money and have the best career, basketball is the only choice.

  5. #1255

    Default

    No doubt being a top 20 QB nationally is extremely impressive, but in terms of the ultimate goal (getting an NFL gig) there's maybe 10-12 QBs that get drafted each year so even being ranked that high out of high school is no guarantee. Completely agree with all of your other points, basketball seems like a no brainer path for Suggs to pursue. (Logically speaking, who knows how weight he puts on football because he loves the sport)

  6. #1256
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    I attended 3 of his SMB football games this season.

    He is a terrific athlete, with an extraordinary presence on the field, makes winning plays when needed, especially with his feet. Can throw a solid deep ball, although it sails sideways instead of downward spiral, and has good zip on short to intermediate throws.

    I see upside but Jalen isnt an elite prospect in football. I'd say a very good, strong, confident, tall athlete making highlight reel plays versus inferior competition.

    His HS, combined with 2 other HS's play in the 3rd ranked division in MN. Mostly comprised of small towns and private/charter schools, who specialize in bball and hockey, not football so much.

    Suggs team is the best in their respective division, and have won their championship for past couple years, which Jalen has played a major part in.

    he might be a better long term defensive prospect (elite safety) than QB.

    He shows promising upside at QB but relies heavily on being the better athlete than the competition. Jalen likely only player to receive serious D1 interest in his entire division. There is another kid on his team with offers.

    His long term sport is basketball. He is an elite prospect in the making, and still has room to improve in this sport as well, namely pick n roll play, and shooting, yet upside is clearly through the roof. Proven, and has shown elite skills vs top tier competition, has all the attributes, etc

    He is likely a couple seasons away to start at QB, as he faces a significant jump in competition, and still hasn't shown he can make sll the throws and/or simply out run or run around the opponents.

    He could likely start as a WR or Free Safety right away, but I see a 3 star type QB who still needs development at the position.

    Meanwhile, he is a 5 star basketball player who is more than likely a 1 and done talent, maybe 2 year at most.

    Football requires 3 years before he can even be drafted, not to mention chance of injury, especially as a freshman. Rate of injury much higher for younger players than upperclassmen in college FB.

    I love that he is passionate about both sports and being considered in both sports at the next level, yet no one has promised him a spot at QB, but rather as a gifted athlete they can mold into whatever suits them best. I know Iowa St was looking at him for multiple positions given that a lot of these QB prospects are more polished at that particular position.

    Its great he wants to play them but it's an unbelievable risky endeavor, not just from an injury standpoint yet also developmental standpoint.

    Similar to achieving work life balance, something has got to give, he will have to comprise one for the other on some level, if he wants to be truly elite.
    thanks for the excellent report.

    Here's what's happening near me with high school sports

    https://www.latimes.com/sports/highs...ecame-dominant

  7. #1257
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,444

    Default

    It's hard to see exactly where he lies for me, as they make a distinction between dual-threat and pro-style QBs. He's listed at #29 overall on 247Sports but is the #10 dual-threat QB on Scout. I'm sure he could play for many colleges out there, but how good of a team would it be? It seems to me that the #10 dual-threat QB has little chance of an NFL career, but you have to believe in yourself and take good advice from people who know (way) more than me...

  8. #1258
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,683

    Default

    I have to say, I'm really worn out on this recruitment. I hope Jalen chooses Gonzaga but, at this point, it's going to be what it's going to be. In the end, he needs to do what is best for him, in his assessment, and the rest will take care of itself.

  9. #1259
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northridge, Ca
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Main board is reporting an instagram post of his commitment. Personally, if true, I will credit Mr. V. for pushing him over the top. When confirmed, I think everyone will forget the long and windy road that got us here very quickly...and just celebrate the destination. Someone please confirm so the party can commence.

  10. #1260
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Spokane County, WA
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Jalen has a picture of himself in a Zag uniform from October 7th but nothing about committing to any program on Instagram. The Zags Men's Instagram page has photos of both Dom and Julian as signed but nothing about Jalen.

  11. #1261

    Default

    For those catching up, there is nothing on instagram regarding Jalen's decision. Maybe someone is mistaking Julian with Jalen, although I also don't see the "main board" post that is being referenced.

    Jalen did congratulate Julian on instagram, but that's all we've got for now.

  12. #1262
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    For those catching up, there is nothing on instagram regarding Jalen's decision. Maybe someone is mistaking Julian with Jalen, although I also don't see the "main board" post that is being referenced.

    Jalen did congratulate Julian on instagram, but that's all we've got for now.
    I would expect very little news from Mr. Suggs until he announces in January. Just my opinion

  13. #1263

    Default

    Jalen Suggs has his semi-final MN football game starting in the next few minutes. You can watch live here:

    https://prepspotlight.tv/MSHSL

    Last night he played Madden with Julian Strawther on Instagram live. No announcements but Julian is definitely still leading the recruiting effort haha. Dominick Harris wasn’t on live but was also logged in and was texting with the rest of the tricky trio.

    Fingers crossed!

  14. #1264
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Uhhh.....

    Started watching game, then went elsewhere. Rejoined stream late in 4th, Suggs appears to have an ankle injury late in a tied game...

    And he throws a probable game winning touchdown...

  15. #1265
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    476

    Default

    I'm not sure what universe that is a fumble on but... okay.

    Suggs is on to State Championships. While clearly not healthy.

    So we now have two bullets to dodge. An injury in state finals and the pro ranks.

  16. #1266
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Uhhh.....

    Started watching game, then went elsewhere. Rejoined stream late in 4th, Suggs appears to have an ankle injury late in a tied game...

    And he throws a probable game winning touchdown...

    Nice! Hope he wins a championship in what may well be his last season of organized football! The ankle doesn’t sound bad if he’s still playing, so hopefully it never becomes problematic!

  17. #1267
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Nice! Hope he wins a championship in what may well be his last season of organized football! The ankle doesn’t sound bad if he’s still playing, so hopefully it never becomes problematic!
    He was really hobbling and in visible pain. He only ran the one play which was a touchdown from 3rd & goal < 1min and they clearly designed it so he wouldn't have to move much.

    17/18 year olds are resilient as hell so hopefully he's fine for the finals but I know I'll be biting my knuckles. The game is archived on that site if you want to see how it ends.

  18. #1268

    Default

    He also was on the field for a two point conversion attempt, as well as for the final plays on defense. He was walking much better even by the end of the game.

    Certainly something to keep an eye on, but I can't see him missing the championship on November 29 or anything like that. The game is scheduled to start at 2 PM Spokane time by the way, so hopefully right after the Zags play UNC in the Battle 4 Atlantis championship game that would start at 11 AM Spokane time.

  19. #1269

    Default

    There was a new article on all the top 100 guys who remain uncommitted from Jeff Borzello with ESPN. He says basically what we have heard. If he is going to college it will be Gonzaga (he said it's unclear if any other schools are even still recruiting him). His prediction was Gonzaga, but only with 50% confidence. Australia or China would be the other options

  20. #1270
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Gorilla View Post
    There was a new article on all the top 100 guys who remain uncommitted from Jeff Borzello with ESPN. He says basically what we have heard. If he is going to college it will be Gonzaga (he said it's unclear if any other schools are even still recruiting him). His prediction was Gonzaga, but only with 50% confidence. Australia or China would be the other options
    Yep nothing new on the Suggs front. I would say the only other two schools that even touch bases with Jalen are Florida and Minnesota, the rest have disappeared. Florida may get a visit, but now with his team making the state championship game the timing may not work out. I am pretty confident to say if he chooses college it will only be Gonzaga, and I am more confident than Jeff that he will choose college (80/20 in my book for what that's worth).

  21. #1271
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Yep nothing new on the Suggs front. I would say the only other two schools that even touch bases with Jalen are Florida and Minnesota, the rest have disappeared. Florida may get a visit, but now with his team making the state championship game the timing may not work out. I am pretty confident to say if he chooses college it will only be Gonzaga, and I am more confident than Jeff that he will choose college (80/20 in my book for what that's worth).
    His game transfers so well to college ball it would be a damn shame to not see him play in college. Even if he were to pick another school other than gonzaga.

  22. #1272
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    FWIW, Suggs' parents been burning the midnight oil researching pro circuits in New Zealand, Australia, & Asia. Meeting with RJ Hampton's parents and all.

    This has been mentioned by several regional AAU coaches and fellow parents of Jalen's Minnehaha teammates.

    Jalen is the one with the affinity to Gonzaga and potentially playing College ball.

    Will likely come down to who makes the final decision, or who compromises the most...I'm sure they will support him either way, yet their preference has been noted by many here in Twin Cities.

  23. #1273
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    FWIW, Suggs' parents been burning the midnight oil researching pro circuits in New Zealand, Australia, & Asia. Meeting with RJ Hampton's parents and all.

    This has been mentioned by several regional AAU coaches and fellow parents of Jalen's Minnehaha teammates.

    Jalen is the one with the affinity to Gonzaga and potentially playing College ball.

    Will likely come down to who makes the final decision, or who compromises the most...I'm sure they will support him either way, yet their preference has been noted by many here in Twin Cities.
    My personal feeling is that they are gathering all the information and then they will be sitting down as a family to determine what is best for him. To me, college provides much more exposure to the player in the marketplace which leads to more immediate marketing opportunities when they go pro. Most kids that end up overseas don't end up in consideration for the top few picks of the draft when the time comes. Additionally they are out of sight, out of mind in regards to the majority of fans. Everyone around knew who Zion was and his brand was built in his short time at Duke.

  24. #1274
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    My personal feeling is that they are gathering all the information and then they will be sitting down as a family to determine what is best for him. To me, college provides much more exposure to the player in the marketplace which leads to more immediate marketing opportunities when they go pro. Most kids that end up overseas don't end up in consideration for the top few picks of the draft when the time comes. Additionally they are out of sight, out of mind in regards to the majority of fans. Everyone around knew who Zion was and his brand was built in his short time at Duke.
    Good points Vulture. Here is what I know to be factual: An owner of RJ Hampton's team (New Zealand Breakers) said back in September that the Breakers will not win games if RJ Hampton plays consistent minutes. Well RJ is starting and they have lost 5 in row and have not been overly competitive. Also, and perhaps more importantly for the career of all of these kids (and to Vulture's point), sometimes the absence of going overseas does not make the heart grow fonder for many scouts. When RJ left he was comfortably predicted to be a top 2 pg (assuredly top 3 pg) taken in the 2020 NBA draft. Currently many draft "experts" and scouts have him as low as the 6th best pg in this draft behind Ball, Maledon, Anthony, Mannion, and Hayes.

  25. #1275
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,170

    Default

    If a person or people are looking at New Zealand, Australia, & Asia, then they are not looking at exposure and development for an NBA slot a year away, they are looking - very short sighted-ly - at $$$

    Whatever. Im kinda over the whole rollercoaster ride at this point and lament the guards that wanted to come here without any of the football, will he wont he type drama that we didn't offer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •