Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Other Games - Saturday - 12. 01. 2018

Typical duke love from ESPN. One Zag article combined in an article about how Zags drop to 2 in power rankings. But 1/2 dozen highlights and articles about Duke blowing out a team that never stood a chance on paper or otherwise
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

That's a good take PCZ_Frites. Maybe it's just coincidence there haven't been any LDS kids like Davies in a while. Also Jimmer wasn't LDS.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Typical duke love from ESPN. One Zag article combined in an article about how Zags drop to 2 in power rankings. But 1/2 dozen highlights and articles about Duke blowing out a team that never stood a chance on paper or otherwise
    Ha, even beating them on the court isn't enough to change the narrative for the media hype machine. Oh well, all Zags can do is keep winning and let the media do whatever it is they are going to do.

How many of those BYU in the NCAA's were because they won the MWC tourney? Maybe the WCC is just better then the MWC and is showing BYU's weaknesses better....I really have no idea.

How does Kansas rise to number 1 after squeaking out an overtime win against a mediocre Stanford team at home?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagzKrak View Post
    How many of those BYU in the NCAA's were because they won the MWC tourney? Maybe the WCC is just better then the MWC and is showing BYU's weaknesses better....I really have no idea.
    I'm not gonna look up how many auto bids they got. The MWC used to get 3-5 teams in per year. Not many of them got anywhere in the Tourney, but they figured out how to work the schedules to get good RPIs.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Ha, even beating them on the court isn't enough to change the narrative for the media hype machine. Oh well, all Zags can do is keep winning and let the media do whatever it is they are going to do.
    Honestly who cares, 9/10th of the college basketball world is annoyed by Duke and their ESPN love...the lack of GU and other team press only fuels that, keep it coming I say (to reiterate what I believe seacat is getting at)
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    How does Kansas rise to number 1 after squeaking out an overtime win against a mediocre Stanford team at home?
    My thoughts exactly ZO
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    My thoughts exactly ZO
    Because they can’t pronounce the team or the town.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

That's a good take PCZ_Frites. Maybe it's just coincidence there haven't been any LDS kids like Davies in a while. Also Jimmer wasn't LDS.
    Yes he was/is LDS
    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...le-in-NBA.html
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Good win for SMC 85-71 over Cal. Also Pacific grounds USAFA in the second half for a 82-69 win.

I am not too upset with the Duke coverage and hype. The Zags get the credit for being number one with fans and recruiting. But the team also gets to keep a chip. I think the Duke coverage takes away a lot of the pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post

Huh. I swear that it was publicized he was not LDS when he was playing at BYU. Or maybe I'm imagining things.

Seems to me it is obvious that BYU is on a downhill slide and the WCC has been tougher on them (for whatever reason).

It was curious to see Rose signed to an extension before the year, and I said so at the time.

Not bc BYU is a basketball blueblood, but they are big, rich, politically powerful and decent in undergrad academics. They have much higher expectations than hoping for a win in the NIT every other year.

Seemed weird that they'd re-sign Rose, not leave it open, I'm sure there are many young coaches who've come up through the church who'd love a shot at it.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

BYU can only win a occasional bid …... with a honor code...... and just mostly LDS players from a couple high schools in Utah.... they are what they are...... and they are apparently very comfortable with that situation...I doubt they change...Rose is fine ….

I would agree that they should have stayed in the Mountain West....including football.....but they must have data that shows that it was a good decision to leave...in any case, they certainly don't care what I think....

BYU blew it when Pac 10 asked them to join. couple days after BYU said No Utah said yes. Bad move IMO

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-programs.html
    OK...LETS DO IT!..

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    BYU blew it when Pac 10 asked them to join. couple days after BYU said No Utah said yes. Bad move IMO
    PAC12 asked BYU to join? Are you sure? I’ve always heard that BYU wanted in and the PAC12 said no.

Found this quote from former Pac10 commish Tom Hansen.

There’s always been discussion about BYU. They have expressed interest, certainly, over the years and it’s a wonderful athletic program. But this goes back to the first criterion that I mentioned, that is that it has to be a major research university. And BYU, it’s my understanding, that it is primarily an undergraduate institution. It does not have a wealth or many graduate programs. That has always been a barrier to BYU being considered and it never really has been considered for membership.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    PAC12 asked BYU to join? Are you sure? I’ve always heard that BYU wanted in and the PAC12 said no.
    My neighbor is retired USC sports administrator ....told me BYU was first choice. Pac 10 told BYU to lighten up on the Honor code (LGBT) and we can accommodate the Sunday no play policy to make it work. BYU said no deal
    OK...LETS DO IT!..

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-programs.html
    This article seems to say the the opposite, that the PAC 10 passed on BYU. Granted i only gave it a quick read, but did i miss something?

Huh. I swear that it was publicized he was not LDS when he was playing at BYU. Or maybe I'm imagining things.
    I still remember when he beat the Zags, and someone posted that his wives must be so proud. Whenever his name comes up, I still think of that one ans laugh.