Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential Grad transfer thread

The SEC had some coaching changes that will definitely influence the transfer market. Sit back and enjoy the fun of all the rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    The SEC had some coaching changes that will definitely influence the transfer market. Sit back and enjoy the fun of all the rumors.
    I know this is the transfer thread, and the topic has already been discussed at length, but have you heard anything about potential coaching changes leading to new freshman possibilities?

Quote Originally Posted by zagssuperfan View Post
    I know this is the transfer thread, and the topic has already been discussed at length, but have you heard anything about potential coaching changes leading to new freshman possibilities?
    That is a great question!

i rarely post, but since the discussion turned to a talented player who "was not used properly," i thought i'd throw a brand new name out there and see if anything was known/suspected ...

Joey Baker (Duke) was a 4-star Top 40 recruit, but his "career" has been bizarre to say the least. after being told he'd be a redshirt and sitting all season, the athletic sharpshooter had his redshirt pulled (panic from Coach K after the Williamson injury?). the result? he's played a mere 18 minutes total.

he's obviously not a grad transfer (he's a true frosh), but would he be of interest to GU moving forward? just throwing that out there. =-)

Default That dream was fun while it lasted

Roy william and Rayjon Tucker spoke this morning. He is a charlotte native. The dream was fun while it lasted!

Quote Originally Posted by azzagfan View Post
    Daulton Hommes having a very good D2 NCAA Tourney thus far (team currently in Elite 8).

"Daulton Hommes earned the Most Outstanding Player of the West Regional after averaging 24.3 points, 7.0 rebounds per game and hitting 12-of-20 shots from 3-point range. He finished tonight with 25 points on 10-of-15 shooting, including going 5-of-8 from behind the arc. He also got help from all-tournament selection Ziggy Satterthwaite, who scored 15 points on 7-of-10 shooting. Preston Beverly had a game-high nine rebounds to help Point Loma outrebound Saint Martin's 40-27."

https://plnusealions.com/news/2019/3...-regional.aspx
    Daulton Hommes now in to D2 Final Four. 22 pts, 7 rebs, in national quarterfinal. 3-4 on 3s.
    https://www.ncaa.com/game/basketball...loma-queens-nc

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Has he announced that he is transferring or is there any indication that he is?
    nothing official that i'm aware of, but there have been plenty of internet mutterings ... and the bizarre nature of his completely wasted redshirt should certainly give some credence to them, at least. how such a talented prospect could have an entire year of eligibility wasted for 18 pointless minutes scattered over four games at the end of the season is beyond me. at any rate, he'd be a long wing that would certainly look good in a Zag uniform.

I agree Spy...with that list I think he is unlikely to come to the West Coast. I don't get the love of Arizona anymore but I suppose it had been such a top tier place for so long helps. I wouldn't think Michigan's style would fit what Tucker does but they are good every year.

I agree 100% with everything that you wrote. Michigan is definitely the outlier as they run a very slow deliberate offense and he’s up-and-down the court player. He would look great with Carolina, us or Tennessee. Unfortunately my money is on the Tar Heels.
    My money is on UNC as well if they offer.

Quote Originally Posted by azzagfan View Post
    Daulton Hommes now in to D2 Final Four. 22 pts, 7 rebs, in national quarterfinal. 3-4 on 3s.
    https://www.ncaa.com/game/basketball...loma-queens-nc
    Hommes named D2 National Player of the Year. His team also advanced to the national title game on Saturday.

https://plnusealions.com/news/2019/3...-the-year.aspx

https://plnusealions.com/news/2019/3...mpionship.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Other than Tucker, the other possible PG option there is Dazon Ingram from Alabama. Haven't watched much of them this year, but decent stats and good size. Feels more like a backup option though. Not super exciting.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Evan Daniels

Verified account

@EvanDaniels
    13m13 minutes ago
    More
    Possible Alabama transfer Dazon Ingram told @247Sports he’s still “open as of now.”

He’s heard from Nevada, Murray State, Gonzaga, WKU, UAB, Santa Barbara, NKU, Florida, Tulane & Detroit.

Watched Hommes play last night. He reminded me of Micah Downs in his build, but not near the athlete that Downs was. He doesn't play hard, but when he gets his feet set he can stroke it. looked to me more like the type player that the Zags used to recruit, not so much now. Looked like a role player to me, not a high impact transfer. Coach Few might be able to light a fire under him. I am not sure he would want to come here and just be a role player. I may be totally wrong, but that is just my opinion.

I have seen Ingram play several times and I am not impressed. Zags can do much better than Ingram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    My money is on UNC as well if they offer.
    I know UNC is it on his recruitment but I think this is going to be a battle between us and them. He's the type of player we need and the staff knows it. There's another point guard out there there's a real option at this point as well but not much has been said about him. Just leave it at that

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I know UNC is it on his recruitment but I think this is going to be a battle between us and them. He's the type of player we need and the staff knows it. There's another point guard out there there's a real option at this point as well but not much has been said about him. Just leave it at that
    Is UNC’s current PG expected to leave after this season? That’s a big factor I would assume.

Coby White is a projected 1st rounder
    Projected 1st rounder...he has the talent but question his decision making process.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    Watched Hommes play last night. He reminded me of Micah Downs in his build, but not near the athlete that Downs was. He doesn't play hard, but when he gets his feet set he can stroke it. looked to me more like the type player that the Zags used to recruit, not so much now. Looked like a role player to me, not a high impact transfer. Coach Few might be able to light a fire under him. I am not sure he would want to come here and just be a role player. I may be totally wrong, but that is just my opinion.
    Another chance to watch him on CBS at 12 PM Pacific time in the D2 national title game.
    https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...ch-preview-and

I'm dvr'ing the game and in the preview they're talking up Hommes bigtime, saying he might go straight to the NBA.
    Watched a bit of the first half. Nothing stood out to me but it's such a small sample size that it's unfair to even try to evaluate his game at the next level.
    I did google about 5-6 NBA mock drafts. He's nowhere to be seen in any of them. Espn has a player ranking where he came in at about 85th as I remember. I heard the announcer mention that at the beginning of the game but for now it just seems like hype. Most of it appears to stem from an article written in Nov/Dec of 2018.
    I'm not here to knock this kid. If he comes to Gonzaga as a transfer of course I'll root for him and if he declares for the draft I wish him nothing but success. But my personal opinion is that all this NBA talk from the media and online is a bit premature.

Hommes is an animal and would probably be our leading scorer if he made it to GU. Guy has a great sroke, good handle, great size, and incredible work ethic. I don't see Tucker making it to GU. UNC is the runaway favorite and he has skeletons in his closet.

Hommes played harder today than he did last game, but to me he is still not aggressive enough. The guy looks like Hero from Kentucky. If he played as hard and as aggressive as Hero he could be a star here, but unfortunately he does not. Has the talent, but could the coaching staff get him to actually play hard, that is the question. Tucker would be a much better option. I may be wrong but I don't think White goes pro. Roy Williams' freshmen do not leave after 1 season very often, I don't see White being any different. I guess we will find out. Coach Few does a wonderful job of evaluating talent that fits the Zag system. In my opinion he does this better than any other coach in the country. There is not a player on this team that any of the big boys would have recruited because they didn't have enough stars beside their name, but Few and Lloyd have molded these guys into the most efficient TEAM in the country.

I agree Hommes is not a guard. Tucker has skeletons in his closet ? We took the guy from Vanderbilt who had supposed skeletons in his closet and he worked out ok for us, did he not ? I didn't say I didn't like Hommes he just didn't play as hard as I would of liked to see. If coach Few wants him that's fine with me. Would love to see Tucker here. I would like to see Ballo come in and be a rebounding beast from day one.

Keep hearing about Hommes but still zero connection to GU other than he fits the profile of a Zag recruit of old. Odd.

And you based all of that on watching "a bit of the first half"? lol
    Did you even read my thread? Lol??

I stated that it was too small a sample size to make a conclusion. After that is all about what nba mock drafts have to say. And none of them are saying he’s getting drafted. Maybe he will, but lol.