Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential Grad transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    I mean if we reached out, there is still a chance I suppose. It's not a guarantee that Norvell returns so if he leaves, he could be an option for depth at the 2 and a guy that can help facilitate the offense. But I can't see him being the solution to the PG position.
    I dunno, he played at William & Mary. We "reached out" to a ton of grad transfers last season, it doesn't hurt to do that. If Zach is leaving, I'd much rather have Hommes replace him than this guy. But as far as grad transfer pg, the two that would really excite me would be Sam Merrill at USU or Ky Bowman from BC, the thing is neither have officially declared that they're gonna grad transfer yet.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    I dunno, he played at William & Mary. We "reached out" to a ton of grad transfers last season, it doesn't hurt to do that. If Zach is leaving, I'd much rather have Hommes replace him than this guy. But as far as grad transfer pg, the two that would really excite me would be Sam Merrill at USU or Ky Bowman from BC, the thing is neither have officially declared that they're gonna grad transfer yet.
    merrill isn't eligible...he's academically a junior. even if he was, he's not going anywhere...they are returning basically everyone next year and could be every bit as good as the zags, even better. two of their starters this year are freshman and one is an nba prospect.
    they will dominate their conference next year as nevada is losing all five starters. aside from basketball, the guy's mormon, usu was/is his dream school, and he's already married to a star utah state soccer player.

O
    Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    merrill isn't eligible...he's academically a junior. even if he was, he's not going anywhere...they are returning basically everyone next year and could be every bit as good as the zags, even better. two of their starters this year are freshman and one is an nba prospect.
    they will dominate their conference next year as nevada is losing all five starters. aside from basketball, the guy's mormon, usu was/is his dream school, and he's already married to a star utah state soccer player.
    You can graduate college in three years, there are several that have done that and grad transfer. As far as the rest of the information, we already know all of that.

We "reached out" to a ton of grad transfers last season,.
    I believe this is my debut post in the whelping box.

I'm merely hopping in to say I do not believe Gonzaga has ever "reached out" to a potential transfer. Ever.

It doesn't work that way. If "communication" exists during an actual season, it's generally a "representative" of the kid (i.e. AAU coach, family member, etc) that "reaches out" to Gonzaga. IF there is potential interest, a dialogue occurs ... generally after the season ends.

Nothing is further from the truth vis a vis the statement I've quoted at the start of this post.

This can be an incredibly sensitive issue. Cal is still steamed at Gonzaga because their alltime leading three point shooter (Jordan Mathews) chose to graduate in three years and grad transfer to Gonzaga.

There's a pretty good chance that a few VERY good players (including guards) have had their people contact GU this season. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post

I'm merely hopping in to say I do not believe Gonzaga has ever "reached out" to a potential transfer. Ever.

It doesn't work that way. If "communication" exists during an actual season, it's generally a "representative" of the kid (i.e. AAU coach, family member, etc) that "reaches out" to Gonzaga. IF there is potential interest, a dialogue occurs ... generally after the season ends.

Nothing is further from the truth vis a vis the statement I've quoted at the start of this post.

This can be an incredibly sensitive issue. Cal is still steamed at Gonzaga because their alltime leading three point shooter (Jordan Mathews) chose to graduate in three years and grad transfer to Gonzaga.

There's a pretty good chance that a few VERY good players (including guards) have had their people contact GU this season. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
    OK, sorry for using the wrong terminology. What I meant to say was our name has been linked to several grad transfers over the years; last year alone the kid that went to Oregon, the kid that went to Villanova, the kid transferring from Florida gulf coast and obviously Geno. But yeah, sorry for saying that “we reached out”, my bad.

Peyton Pritchard from Oregon.

There were rumblings a couple months ago, yet things could change as he carried Oregon to a NCAA Tourney bid last night.

20 pts, 5 assists in Pac 12 Championship game.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Peyton Pritchard from Oregon.

There were rumblings a couple months ago, yet things could change as he carried Oregon to a NCAA Tourney bid last night.

20 pts, 5 assists in Pac 12 Championship game.
    I don’t know, I have mixed feelings about him. I don’t know if he is a true point guard and I am not convinced that he is better than Ravet.

Great post

In the WB earlier this week, I said I really only log in to read posts from caldwellzag and MileHigh. It's really a list of 3, with GoZags up until now just on the main site side.

Hoping to see many more posts on both sides.

Default PP

Pritchard was awesome last night. 20 points and mvp of pac 12 tourney. Plays great defense, shoots, and handles the rock. Starting point on oregon’s 2017 final 4 team. Doubt he leaves U of O, but he is a gamer...

Quote Originally Posted by kyle dixon View Post
    Pritchard was awesome last night. 20 points and mvp of pac 12 tourney. Plays great defense, shoots, and handles the rock. Starting point on oregon’s 2017 final 4 team. Doubt he leaves U of O, but he is a gamer...
    No way he leaves. Oregon is stacked and has a phenomenal coach. Altman isn't Romar.

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    No way he leaves. Oregon is stacked and has a phenomenal coach. Altman isn't Romar.
    They are? he is? They were NIT bound had UDubb not crapped the bed at the end of the season.

Spot on!

They are? he is? They were NIT bound had UDubb not crapped the bed at the end of the season.
    3x Pac-12 COY and dusted Hopkins in the final.

They have 3 NBA players (granted likely only to return 1/3 or 2/3 of Bol, Wooten, and King) and three 4 stars coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    3x Pac-12 COY and dusted Hopkins in the final.

They have 3 NBA players (granted likely only to return 1/3 or 2/3 of Bol, Wooten, and King) and three 4 stars coming in.
    We have 5 NBA players and five 4 stars coming in.

We have 5 NBA players and five 4 stars coming in.
    ... which only matters if he's interested in leaving UO. this isn't a question of which team looks like it'll be better next year, but whether PP is likely to be motivated to transfer at all. if he thinks he has a chance to lead a very good team next year and trusts/gets along with his coach (most of altman's players seem to)... it seems pretty unlikely he'll choose to leave.

this isn't something you need to get defensive about on behalf of the zags. yes, we'll probably be the better team next season... but that doesn't mean any given player is going to decide to transfer (either here or at all). alum's point is sound.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    ... which only matters if he's interested in leaving UO. this isn't a question of which team looks like it'll be better next year, but whether PP is likely to be motivated to transfer at all. if he thinks he has a chance to lead a very good team next year and trusts/gets along with his coach (most of altman's players seem to)... it seems pretty unlikely he'll choose to leave.

this isn't something you need to get defensive about on behalf of the zags. yes, we'll probably be the better team next season... but that doesn't mean any given player is going to decide to transfer (either here or at all). alum's point is sound.
    I'm not defensive at all. I didn't say that his point wasn't fair, I simply countered that apples to apples were in a better position, but since he already goes there, it's not apples to apples. Not everything is an internet message board contest. I'm not even a PP fan anyway.

Daulton Hommes having a very good D2 NCAA Tourney thus far (team currently in Elite 8).

"Daulton Hommes earned the Most Outstanding Player of the West Regional after averaging 24.3 points, 7.0 rebounds per game and hitting 12-of-20 shots from 3-point range. He finished tonight with 25 points on 10-of-15 shooting, including going 5-of-8 from behind the arc. He also got help from all-tournament selection Ziggy Satterthwaite, who scored 15 points on 7-of-10 shooting. Preston Beverly had a game-high nine rebounds to help Point Loma outrebound Saint Martin's 40-27."

https://plnusealions.com/news/2019/3...-regional.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by azzagfan View Post
    Daulton Hommes having a very good D2 NCAA Tourney thus far (team currently in Elite 8).

"Daulton Hommes earned the Most Outstanding Player of the West Regional after averaging 24.3 points, 7.0 rebounds per game and hitting 12-of-20 shots from 3-point range. He finished tonight with 25 points on 10-of-15 shooting, including going 5-of-8 from behind the arc. He also got help from all-tournament selection Ziggy Satterthwaite, who scored 15 points on 7-of-10 shooting. Preston Beverly had a game-high nine rebounds to help Point Loma outrebound Saint Martin's 40-27."

https://plnusealions.com/news/2019/3...-regional.aspx
    12/20 from 3, that’s awesome

Any interest-- as a 2 guard?

Jeff Borzello

Verified account

@jeffborzello
    Following Following @jeffborzello
    More
    Little Rock wing Rayjon Tucker tells ESPN he is leaving the program as a graduate transfer.

20.3 PPG, 6.7 RPG, 41.1 3PT%

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post

Jeff Borzello

Verified account

@jeffborzello
    More
    Little Rock wing Rayjon Tucker tells ESPN he is leaving the program as a graduate transfer.

Rayjon might just be the best grad transfer on the market this summer. It's hard to see how this works on the roster unless Norvell takes over more lead guard duties and Tucker takes Norvell's spot. Snacks is a better distributor than Tucker but I don't know if he truly has the chops to carry the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post

Jeff Borzello

Verified account

@jeffborzello
    More

Wow, those are very impressive numbers. I always like to see how these kid major guys do against the big boys.

Wow, those are very impressive numbers. I always like to see how these kid major guys do against the big boys.
    So pretty impressive; 29/4/4 vs Memphis, 16/14 vs Georgetown, 21/4 vs Nevada. He is a shooting guard through and through though. So unless Zach leaves I don’t see us making a play for him. Plus he’s from Charlotte so you got to think that ACC and SEC schools will be lining up to get him.

How about Luwane Pipkins? He looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    How about Luwane Pipkins? He looks pretty good.
    Looks to be an undersized volume shooter from the PG position. Shot 34.7% from the field overall and 28% from the 3pt line. Turns the ball over 3 times a game
    on average with 5.2 assists.