Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential Grad transfer thread

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/...s/point-guards

Of the Juniors on this list, Ky Bowman seems to be the most likely to explore options other than retuning to his current school. Him and Norvell would be a high scoring backcourt!

Quote Originally Posted by harryzag View Post

Of the Juniors on this list, Ky Bowman seems to be the most likely to explore options other than retuning to his current school. Him and Norvell would be a high scoring backcourt!
    I'd take him in a heartbeat

Quote Originally Posted by harryzag View Post

He put up 25/8/12 vs Louisville Wednesday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I think that Kispert starts over Watson. However, what matters more is who is on the floor when it's crunch time. I think Coach Few has shown that he goes with the best player at the end..see Zach Collins.
    True. But why play mind games, why not just start and play the best player? I just don't get that line of thinking. No biggie though, I guess.

I think that Kispert starts over Watson. However, what matters more is who is on the floor when it's crunch time. I think Coach Few has shown that he goes with the best player at the end..see Zach Collins.
    I need to see Watson play a game or two in college before I'm ready to say hes better than Kispert. I would be really surprised if he was a better 3 as a freshman. I think he will get there but I see him playing more of the 4 like Rui and then developing into a SF.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    True. But why play mind games, why not just start and play the best player? I just don't get that line of thinking. No biggie though, I guess.
    I don't think it's mind games as much as just something that Coach Few tends to do. Like you said, it's no biggie in the end.

I don't think it's mind games as much as just something that Coach Few tends to do. Like you said, it's no biggie in the end.
    Knowing and executing the system are real and valuable things. Kispert will almost certainly start over Watson, even if Watson has better skills (big assumption), and it's not because the coaching staff is irrational.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    Knowing and executing the system are real and valuable things. Kispert will almost certainly start over Watson, even if Watson has better skills (big assumption), and it's not because the coaching staff is irrational.
    is it?

I think so, but I'm not dying on that hill.

Default Ky Bowman

"Of the Juniors on this list, Ky Bowman seems to be the most likely to explore options other than retuning to his current school. Him and Norvell would be a high scoring backcourt!"

Assists to t/o ratios, this year & career, are surprisingly low for such a superior ballplayer.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I need to see Watson play a game or two in college before I'm ready to say hes better than Kispert. I would be really surprised if he was a better 3 as a freshman. I think he will get there but I see him playing more of the 4 like Rui and then developing into a SF.
    We have seen how hard it is to play effective team defense in this system. Rui finally got it this year. Petresuv is late on rotations. Kispert is looking much better but took awhile. Someone like Watson could be ready offensively but not defensively. I think it would be a high expectation for him to jump Kispert as a starter early on next year

I'd take him in a heartbeat
    Why do you think he is a grad transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    Why do you think he is a grad transfer?
    You’re asking the wrong guy, Harryzag posted it. I just responded to his post. But if a junior graduates in three years he can immediately be a grad transfer as well. I guess that is what he is speculating. He would be amazing if it were true.

A couple of things from twitter tonight:

Jeff Goodman
    ‏Verified account @GoodmanHoops

William & Mary’s Justin Pierce, a two-time all-CAA guy, told @Stadium he will leave as a grad transfer. Put up 14.9 points, 8.9 boards and 4.1 assists this season.

Jeff Goodman
    ‏Verified account @GoodmanHoops

Jeff Goodman Retweeted Jeff Goodman

Since I tweeted this out two hours ago, Justin Pierce has heard from AZ, ND, Ohio St., NW, Illinois, BC, Stanford, USC, Michigan, Wisconsin., Butler, Gonzaga, Ga Tech, DePaul, Nevada and Ole Miss.

Safe to say he’ll be a highly sought-after grad transfer.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    interestingly, NOT a guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    A 6'7 pg!
    I like to see how these low major guys do against big boy competition, but Bill and Mary only played Notre Dame and Virginia and Pierce didn't play vs ND and laid an egg vs UVA, 3 points, 4 rebs, 0 assists. He did have a monster game vs James Madison, 14 points, 18 rebounds and 8 assists vs James Madison. I dunno, he's a ridiculous rebounder for a guard, but he only shot 33% from three. He's good, but I think we can do better. I think if Ky Bowman or Sam Merril do become available, that's who we should go after.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas.../justin-pierce

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    interestingly, NOT a guard.
    What makes you say that? He's their starting pg, he just happens to be 6'7.

What makes you say that? He's their starting pg, he just happens to be 6'7.
    that was based on kenpom's listed position (pf). guess he's not such a great source for that. gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    that was based on kenpom's listed position (pf). guess he's not such a great source for that. gotcha.
    No biggie

This is from a preview of his team before the season:

Pierce, a 6-foot-7 junior wing, broke his right (shooting) wrist during the offseason. Shaver is hopeful he’ll be ready to play in the season opener Nov. 7 against High Point.

The obvious hole in the lineup is at point guard, where David Cohn had a remarkable senior season. Cohn led the CAA in assists and was the only player in the nation with shooting percentages of 50 from the field, 40 from the 3-point arc and 90 from the free-throw line.

Doesn’t sound like a PG, especially for a top 20 team.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    This is from a preview of his team before the season:

Pierce, a 6-foot-7 junior wing, broke his right (shooting) wrist during the offseason. Shaver is hopeful he’ll be ready to play in the season opener Nov. 7 against High Point.

The obvious hole in the lineup is at point guard, where David Cohn had a remarkable senior season. Cohn led the CAA in assists and was the only player in the nation with shooting percentages of 50 from the field, 40 from the 3-point arc and 90 from the free-throw line.

Doesn’t sound like a PG, especially for a top 20 team.
    You said it yourself, it was a preseason preview. He stepped in and became their point guard. I don’t know what to tell you.

You said it yourself, it was a preseason preview. He stepped in and became their point guard. I don’t know what to tell you.
    Just watched 4 W&M game highlights. I feel very comfortable saying he is not a Pg. He doesn’t usually initiate the offense, drive into the paint or guard the other team’s point. He is a good passing 2/3. I feel even more comfortable saying he is not Gonzaga’s next PG. On that I think we can agree.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Just watched 4 W&M game highlights. I feel very comfortable saying he is not a Pg. He doesn’t usually initiate the offense, drive into the paint or guard the other team’s point. He is a good passing 2/3. I feel even more comfortable saying he is not Gonzaga’s next PG. On that I think we can agree.
    he led the team in apg with 4.1, the player with the second most apg is their big man, who is actually a pretty good player. Pierce had 8 assists vs JMU, 9 assists vs Charleston, 8 vs Hofstra, etc. No other player on the squad comes close to his assist numbers. He's listed asa guard on ESPN, but call him a point forward, if you want, I don't care. But, on your last point, we agree, he's not gonna be a Zag.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas.../justin-pierce

He's listed asa guard on ESPN, but call him a point forward, if you want, I don't care. But, on your last point, we agree, he's not gonna be a Zag.
    I mean if we reached out, there is still a chance I suppose. It's not a guarantee that Norvell returns so if he leaves, he could be an option for depth at the 2 and a guy that can help facilitate the offense. But I can't see him being the solution to the PG position.