Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Potential Grad transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Agree that two guards are needed. We lose Perkins and Geno. Can’t just replace one of those spots in an area that was already shallow. Remember how timid we had to play when Geno was out?

Counting on Ayayi or Fister to fill that role is a big ask, and Ravet might get minutes, but not likely 20+ for a freshman who plays poor d.
    Best, most sensible, succinct post I've read since the season ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Best, most sensible, succinct post I've read since the season ended.
    The problem is that with the incoming class, I doubt we slide zn to the 3 spot like we did this year. So assuming zn plays 30+ min/game, new pg gets 30, ravet gets 5...where are the minutes for a second transfer guard? That's maybe 15 min/game leftover. If it we're me transfering, I wouldn't sign up for that.

Does it seem like we either end up with one of the very few premier transfer PGs for 33+MPG (Admon Gilder, ???) or else a lower tier couple of guys and go PG by committee?

It does seem likely that Norvell will not be playing a lot at the "3". Few likes the 3 guard (2 pg) lineups, but our roster is so highly weighted toward big guys that with Norvell at the 3 it only makes room for any 2 of 6-7 : Petrusev/Timme/Watson/Ballo/Zakharov/Aurlauskas/Tille(?) to be in the game.

Not saying we are even interested, but just saw this and wow what a fall from one and done to transfer.

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/st...12352667246594

David Jenkins has cut his list to 5 and we are on it.

Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanHoops
    Following Following @GoodmanHoops
    More
    South Dakota State sophomore guard David Jenkins told @stadium has cut his list to Gonzaga, UNLV, UCLA, Oregon, Memphis, Washington State and South Dakota State. Jenkins averaged 20 points per game this past season.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanHoops
    More
    South Dakota State sophomore guard David Jenkins told @stadium has cut his list to Gonzaga, UNLV, UCLA, Oregon, Memphis, Washington State and South Dakota State. Jenkins averaged 20 points per game this past season.
    He would be a great fit for 2019 and 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanHoops
    More
    I like this kids game yet not sure what position he is...or would play?

He plays more like a wing/sf in a PG body.

Reminds me of a better shooting yet shorter Zach Norvell.

They play very similar roles and style is comparable.

Norvell the better defender, and more dynamic presence, yet hard to deny Jenkins 46% 3pt shooting with similar attempts, and ability to score in bunches.

Assists #s lower yet also not really a PG.

He would make a great addition though, esp after his RS year.

Could be a nice shooting and scoring presence with Ravet & Harris.

Suggs is a long shot, so more guards the merrier at this point in time.

And 2020-2021 should be another "all in" season, nice to hear we are in his Top 7.

Caldwell: No response to the above assertion? “Suggs is a long shot, so more guards the merrier at this point in time.”

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Not saying we are even interested, but just saw this and wow what a fall from one and done to transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    David Jenkins has cut his list to 5 and we are on it.
    How are these two grad transfers?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    How are these two grad transfers?
    they're not...but the non-grad thread was just started...

If he couldn't play for Muss, sure can't play for Few.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Suggs is a long shot, so more guards the merrier at this point in time.
    There is nothing to suggest Suggs is a "long shot".

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Caldwell: No response to the above assertion? “Suggs is a long shot, so more guards the merrier at this point in time.”
    Nah no response. I have told you what I know on Suggs he damn near committed when he was here and when Julian commits it will be even more of a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    There is nothing to suggest Suggs is a "long shot".
    Pretty much this.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Nah no response. I have told you what I know on Suggs he damn near committed when he was here and when Julian commits it will be even more of a draw.
    I believe we will know in 5-days (18 April)...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I believe we will know in 5-days (18 April)...
    Yes we will

Not sure we were a serious contender or of interest, yet grad transfer Christian Keeling released his Top-5 today....and we are not in it.

6'4" guard, 19 ppg, 7 rpg, 3 apg for Charleston Southern. Averaged at least 17 ppg all 3 seasons.

Is it time to worry a little?

By now, haven't there - in the past - been a list of several targets that we are zero'ing in upon?

It was my understanding that even throughout the year, there was "one" (highly secret, I never knew who) that they were pretty well counting upon. A "former 4-5*? Do I have that wrong.

I'm not wanting to panic, but I'd have thought we'd have a list by now.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Is it time to worry a little?

By now, haven't there - in the past - been a list of several targets that we are zero'ing in upon?

It was my understanding that even throughout the year, there was "one" (highly secret, I never knew who) that they were pretty well counting upon. A "former 4-5*? Do I have that wrong.

I'm not wanting to panic, but I'd have thought we'd have a list by now.
    Not yet. Remember Wesley and Mathews were extremely late - I believe Wesley didn’t schedule visits Till late May. The NBA process makes this a bit more difficult as well. We’re still giving our guys due diligence and going through the process of whether or not they wanna come back. Once they’ve made their decision, I’m sure we’ll hear more names and fill our roster
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Transfer information often comes very late. I'll start worrying if we haven't heard anything by mid to late June.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Transfer information often comes very late. I'll start worrying if we haven't heard anything by mid to late June.
    +1!!

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Not yet. Remember Wesley and Mathews were extremely late - I believe Wesley didn’t schedule visits Till late May. The NBA process makes this a bit more difficult as well. We’re still giving our guys due diligence and going through the process of whether or not they wanna come back. Once they’ve made their decision, I’m sure we’ll hear more names and fill our roster
    Yes, wise words.

However, I was under the assumption (presumption?) that there was almost a "bird in the hand," I never got a name, not even a hint, but it seemed that some "knew" there was someone coming, and I would've thought that we'd have had a name by now, if that was the case.

I thought we'd even heard 4-5* type of PG coming, a "BCS 4-5^ coming" but I can't recall now how long it has been since we heard those whispers.

Oh well, we'll see.

I am as excited about the next two years as any in GU basketball, that's for sure.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Default More on Max Hazzard

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    GU has shown interest in ... Max Hazzard. ... Hazzard was UCI's point guard and is a grad transfer. Averaged 13 ppg, put up 19 on KSU in the tourney.
    "Jeff Goodman of Stadium tweeted that UC-Irvine grad transfer ... Hazzard, who was the leading scorer for Big West champion Irvine this past season, is looking at Arizona, Gonzaga, TCU, Minnesota, Pittsburgh and Irvine ... . Hazzard, a 5-foot-10 guard, averaged 12.5 points per game and shot 38.7 percent from three-point range this year. He scored 19 points and hit 5 of 11 three-point attempts in the Anteaters’ upset of fourth-seeded Kansas State in the first round of this year's NCAA Tournament. He had just seven points in the second-round loss to Oregon. .Hazzard is the grandson of former UCLA star Walt Hazzard."

https://collegesportsmaven.io/cal/ba...06aGtEIY5ZNDQ/
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    "Jeff Goodman of Stadium tweeted that UC-Irvine grad transfer ... Hazzard, who was the leading scorer for Big West champion Irvine this past season, is looking at Arizona, Gonzaga, TCU, Minnesota, Pittsburgh and Irvine ... . Hazzard, a 5-foot-10 guard, averaged 12.5 points per game and shot 38.7 percent from three-point range this year. He scored 19 points and hit 5 of 11 three-point attempts in the Anteaters’ upset of fourth-seeded Kansas State in the first round of this year's NCAA Tournament. He had just seven points in the second-round loss to Oregon. .Hazzard is the grandson of former UCLA star Walt Hazzard."

https://collegesportsmaven.io/cal/ba...06aGtEIY5ZNDQ/
    Anyone have a real assessment of him? I think I saw one of their games but how does he do in high level play? Big assist and play maker or...?