Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Potential Grad transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Do you have any idea what his argument strategy would be to make his case to the NCAA folks? He played two full years without a redshirt or injury. Maybe he earned a bunch of college credits in high school via running start or AP classes?
    He would argue that the coach changed and it changed his plans in return. Football has started to use this and it's working.

Default More on Max Hazzard

"UC Irvine grad transfer Max Hazzard is scheduled to take a recruiting visit to Arizona on Thursday. He is also considering Gonzaga, Nevada, Xavier, Pitt, Oregon State and several other schools. Hazzard's older brother, Jacob, was a UA walk-on guard from 2013-16. "I'm pretty comfortable with Arizona because I have a brother who played there and he likes the program a lot," Hazzard told 247 Sports. "He thinks I would like it but he's not going to push me at all in any direction. He knows it is my decision and he's to support me either way.""

https://www.bluemountaineagle.com/sp...1d252afea.html
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Default Utah Valley guard Jake Toolson

"Utah Valley guard Jake Toolson is down to Stanford, Utah State, Arizona State, Duke, Virginia or returning to UVU, according to travel-ball club Powerhouse Hoops." The club reports that Jake "is looking at Stanford, Utah State, Arizona State, Duke, Virginia and possibly returning to UVU." Jake was the WAC Player of the Year, shot 46% from the 3 this past season, and averaged 16ppg, 5rpg, & 3apg. No mention of interest between Jake and Gonzaga.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    "Utah Valley guard Jake Toolson is down to Stanford, Utah State, Arizona State, Duke, Virginia or returning to UVU, according to travel-ball club Powerhouse Hoops." The club reports that Jake "is looking at Stanford, Utah State, Arizona State, Duke, Virginia and possibly returning to UVU." Jake was the WAC Player of the Year, shot 46% from the 3 this past season, and averaged 16ppg, 5rpg, & 3apg. No mention of interest between Jake and Gonzaga.
    byu seems to think there's a chance he reunites with coach pope next year...back to where he started, which would be unique...wonder if it's happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    byu seems to think there's a chance he reunites with coach pope next year...back to where he started, which would be unique...wonder if it's happened before.
    frankie ferrari-- except he played cbb in canada in-between. imo one-ups toolson who, if he returns to BYU, would not even have left the state of Utah/D1 for his transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    We need one of those guards who shoot 46% from LD....OK, at least above 40%

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    "UC Irvine grad transfer Max Hazzard is scheduled to take a recruiting visit to Arizona on Thursday. He is also considering Gonzaga, Nevada, Xavier, Pitt, Oregon State and several other schools. Hazzard's older brother, Jacob, was a UA walk-on guard from 2013-16. "I'm pretty comfortable with Arizona because I have a brother who played there and he likes the program a lot," Hazzard told 247 Sports. "He thinks I would like it but he's not going to push me at all in any direction. He knows it is my decision and he's to support me either way.""

https://www.bluemountaineagle.com/sp...1d252afea.html
    I don't expect Hazzard to make it out of Arizona without a commitment. If he does then we have a shot. Honestly I would not want to walk into that hell whole of a situation at U of A, but he has only 1 year to play so he probably avoids the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I don't expect Hazzard to make it out of Arizona without a commitment. If he does then we have a shot. Honestly I would not want to walk into that hell whole of a situation at U of A, but he has only 1 year to play so he probably avoids the mess.
    IF IF IF he gets to GU without a commit to U of A, it would be irresponsible for the coaches to NOT say to him: "Look, you've got ONE year, do you want to roll the dice on a program that didn't even make the tourney last year AND has all the sht up in the air, or do you want to come to a program that is as close to a sure-thing as you can get?"

I have to believe that it would at least make him pause.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    IF IF IF he gets to GU without a commit to U of A, it would be irresponsible for the coaches to NOT say to him: "Look, you've got ONE year, do you want to roll the dice on a program that didn't even make the tourney last year AND has all the sht up in the air, or do you want to come to a program that is as close to a sure-thing as you can get?"

I would tell him that before he visit's U of A.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post

I don't think that is the way this staff recruits to be honest. I think they will present the program and university as they are and how he would fit in the program. Highlighting the plan and positives and not focus on other schools and what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I do know what it looks like with Jenkins, but from all I am told is he will be arguing to be immediately eligible and it sounds like a good shot of it happening. We are recruiting him as if he would be eligible next year.
    If Jenkins comes for 2 years, that really makes 2020 a crowded schollie chart, with Strawther and hopefully Suggs and Maxwell, with only 1 open slot.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    If Jenkins comes for 2 years, that really makes 2020 a crowded schollie chart, with Strawther and hopefully Suggs and Maxwell, with only 1 open slot.
    This team needs a PG and SG badly if we are to make the tourney next year.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    This team needs a PG and SG badly if we are to make the tourney next year.
    Ravet
    Kispert
    Watson
    Timme
    Petrusev

Young but still a tournament team imo. This unit would still be able to score. Defense well....

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Ravet
    Kispert
    Watson
    Timme
    Petrusev

Young but still a tournament team imo. This unit would still be able to score. Defense well....
    No way that is a tournament team in ***2019***. Three freshman, including a PG who is expected to run Few's offense plus a sophomore that saw his playing time steadily approach zero as the season went on? This team would be hard pressed to stay in the top-3 of the WCC next year. This isn't Duke or Kentucky and the kids coming in, as good as they are, aren't 5-star, one-and-done burger boys.

Given a year to marinate, plus some actual guard studs coming in 2020, and now you have a tournament team.

ONE ADDITIONAL NOTE - If Norvell actually leaves, I'd bet that Harris reclassifies to 2019 as Dominick & his dad seem more than willing to go that route.

Ravet
    Kispert
    Watson
    Timme
    Petrusev

That lineup would get roasted. Kispert is not a 2, Ravet shouldn’t start, and there is no one who can reliably back those two up.

GU would have to win the auto bid given the tough games in the early part of the schedule (when the freshman bigs are still getting adjusted). As we saw this last year, the auto bid is no guarantee, even when GU is significantly better than its peers.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    That lineup would get roasted. Kispert is not a 2, Ravet shouldn’t start, and there is no one who can reliably back those two up.

GU would have to win the auto bid given the tough games in the early part of the schedule (when the freshman bigs are still getting adjusted). As we saw this last year, the auto bid is no guarantee, even when GU is significantly better than its peers.
    I’m not sure about any of this, but I will welcome some new faces to the lineup before I make a decision. Grad transfer or two seems likely at this point with plenty of playing time. Well see
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    No way that is a tournament team in ***2019***. Three freshman, including a PG who is expected to run Few's offense plus a sophomore that saw his playing time steadily approach zero as the season went on? This team would be hard pressed to stay in the top-3 of the WCC next year. This isn't Duke or Kentucky and the kids coming in, as good as they are, aren't 5-star, one-and-done burger boys.

Given a year to marinate, plus some actual guard studs coming in 2020, and now you have a tournament team.

ONE ADDITIONAL NOTE - If Norvell actually leaves, I'd bet that Harris reclassifies to 2019 as Dominick & his dad seem more than willing to go that route.
    I’d be more than happy to put a wager on this. Pretty clear most here don’t understand just how good Watson, Timme and Ravet, to an extent, are. I would put Watson and Timme up against any freshmen we’ve had. Kispert takes a giant step forward next season, mark my words!

Certainly don't know what will transpire between now & May 29. But if I am a grad transfer, this team isn't looking anywhere near as strong as 2 weeks ago. I might start looking elsewhere.
    We didn't want the guy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Certainly don't know what will transpire between now & May 29. But if I am a grad transfer, this team isn't looking anywhere near as strong as 2 weeks ago. I might start looking elsewhere.
    Circular reasoning, but if we land a quality pg and sg transfer, the team could be good.

Starter minutes on a tournament team should be attractive.

I’d be more than happy to put a wager on this. Pretty clear most here don’t understand just how good Watson, Timme and Ravet, to an extent, are. I would put Watson and Timme up against any freshmen we’ve had. Kispert takes a giant step forward next season, mark my words!
    Agreed. We are still going to need an experienced guard. I think one if not both of our Euros surprise as well.

Twonster and Timme are going to be a great tandum.

Circular reasoning, but if we land a quality pg and sg transfer, the team could be good.

Starter minutes on a tournament team should be attractive.
    Don't see it that way Observer. As it stands NOW, you have Kispert coming back. Sorry, but IMO even adding a good group of Freshman, that's not a Tournament team.

I expect one or 2 (or 3) of the "declarers" to come back but as I originally stated, won't know until May 29.
    We didn't want the guy anyway.

I'm with cg on this one. Nothing says you have to play a conventional 1-2-3-4-5 lineup. Oregon went on their run through the Pac tourney and to the sweet 16 and playing the natl champs to the wire when they went to a lineup of Pritchard and four 6'9 guys.

Ravet will be as good offensively as freshman Pangos imo; just a matter of how much playing time he gets. That lineup is all 4 star talent, at minimum. Nobody else in the WCC comes close.

The Zags will be a completely different team in March than they will be in December. So many new players, veterans like Corey assuming new leadership roles, etc.

Our moderators are going to have a tough job next season, to keep the Board from melting down, particularly after some of the losses sure to come our way.

Next season's journey will need to be driven in an auto with 4 wheel drive: potholes aplenty during the twists and turns we're likely to encounter. The road that comes to mind for me is the Moki Dugway in Utah...lol. I've driven it a couple of times, it's a white knuckler! lol

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    The Zags will be a completely different team in March than they will be in December. So many new players, veterans like Corey assuming new leadership roles, etc.

Our moderators are going to have a tough job next season, to keep the Board from melting down, particularly after some of the losses sure to come our way.

Next season's journey will need to be driven in an auto with 4 wheel drive: potholes aplenty during the twists and turns we're likely to encounter. The road that comes to mind for me is the Moki Dugway in Utah...lol. I've driven it a couple of times, it's a white knuckler! lol

Agreed - it is bound to happen that the team comes back down to earth a bit. 2019 is going to be rough simply due to the number of freshmen coming in, but by the time '20 & especially '21 rolls around the team is going to be flat out nasty and probably a top 5 team again (assuming everyone important sticks around AND they land Suggs).

I am hoping that 19-20 will be the lead in to another great run in 20-21 and on.

I see Zakharov and Ballo as the #5's Timme and Petrusev as #4's, Kispert, Watson and Martynas as the 2-3's with Ravet, Foster and Ayayi at the PG position.

The front court, 3-5 would be formidable, the back court to be determined.

Ravet has done well in HS. We will see just how well that translates.

Foster looked OK at times last year, and with the year in the system could be an OK back-up. He needs to be able to pass well and accurately and only shoot enough to keep the D honest.
    Ayayi is kind of a wild card. If he can play like he did in his GOOD games in the U18, he will be effective. His bad games, not so much.

Of course, all that changes of Tillie and/or Norvell come back, if Petrusev leaves and if we get a grad transfer in (or two).

It could be a rocky start, but it also could be a great finish.
    Last edited by willandi; 04-23-2019 at 09:24 AM.