Thread: Other Games Today - 11/29/2018

Default Other Games Today - 11/29/2018

Notre Dame Wbb is playing #14 Iowa tonight at Notre Dame.

Halfway through the 3rd Quarter, ND is leading Iowa 63-37 after outscoring Iowa 18-3 coming out of the locker room at halftime. ND has 4 turnovers while Iowa has 15 turnovers. ND already has their subs in.

Last night not withstanding, may the Lady Zags are not too bad this year.

ZagDad

ND proves victorious 105-71 over #14 Iowa.

An interesting tidbit of information about Drake on the ND broadcast. Drake could have all five of their starters have career scoring values greater than 1,000 by the end of the year.

ZagDad

That was a beat down. Mabrey didn't play against GU. The Vancouver final against OSU was her first game of the season. She looked in mid season form tonight. The Irish are a different team with her on the floor. Notre Dame has a heavyweight showdown w/ UConn on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    That was a beat down. Mabrey didn't play against GU. The Vancouver final against OSU was her first game of the season. She looked in mid season form tonight. The Irish are a different team with her on the floor. Notre Dame has a heavyweight showdown w/ UConn on Sunday.
    I heard that today as well. No doubt that ND is a better team today (and against OSU) than they were against Drake and GU. I will say that only Penn held ND to fewer points than the Lady Zags. The first step in beating the Irish is to limit their scoring and here GU did as good or better than most of ND's opponents this year. If you go in with a game plan to try and outscore ND, you are already on a sinking ship.

However, I will say that not having Jenn Wirth was more of a loss to the GU offense than losing Mabrey had to ND's offense. ND just brings in another 4-5* athlete to replace Mabrey. Sure there is a drop-off, but not the drop off in talent GU had when we replaced JW even when we replaced her with her sister.

ZagDad

With Mabrey it's more her experience and chemistry with the other starters, plus she's a dangerous 3 point shooter. I think they had a true Fr. PG starting earlier in the year (who is now out injured herself).

Is Gonzaga better than last year in your estimation? Barta leaving seemed like a big loss, but maybe a balanced attack and getting more contributions from more players is better overall. While the ND-UConn showdown is big, GU's game against Stanford this weekend will tell us a lot about where they are at.

I'm assuming GU is playing Wazzu this year? They've been struggling so far but are just killing USF tonight. Scored 61 in the first half, up 75-36 about midway thru the third quarter. FWIW w/ a Zag OOC opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    With Mabrey it's more her experience and chemistry with the other starters, plus she's a dangerous 3 point shooter. I think they had a true Fr. PG starting earlier in the year (who is now out injured herself).

Is Gonzaga better than last year in your estimation? Barta leaving seemed like a big loss, but maybe a balanced attack and getting more contributions from more players is better overall. While the ND-UConn showdown is big, GU's game against Stanford this weekend will tell us a lot about where they are at.
    Yes, I saw the ND freshman get hurt. It was a shoulder injury that she immediately went back to the locker room. She came back later to sit on the bench with ice on her shoulder. Shoulder injuries are a bear. We have one of our incoming freshman we were counting on hurt her shoulder in practice and she is out for the rest of the year (redshirt).

Are the Lady Zags better this year than last year? You looked at only one person we lost. Not only did we lose our biggest offensive weapon (perhaps ever), we also lost by far and away our best defensive player in Emma Stach who guarded whoever was the other teams best player (positions #1-#3).

I speculated at the beginning of the year that if we did not have any significant injuries (unfortunately Kylee Griffith is out for the year and Jenn Wirth played her first minutes last night), that we had the possibility to have a comparable offensive team and a better defensive team than last year. I made this speculation because despite all of Barta's well earned offensive accolades she was not a great defensive player. Other than her height, we have several better defensive players than Barta. Last year the Lady Zags had a very stagnant offense that could be frequently summed up as Barta and the 4 amigos. Way to frequently, players, stood around waiting for JB to make something happen and due to her unbelievable talent she was usually successful. I had hoped that with the abundance of playing time seen by our freshman last year, that with continued improvement we could make up Barta's 17+ points a game and have a better defense. Replacing the defensive abilities of Emma Stach was going to be harder, but I had hoped that we could get 80+% of Emma's defense and maybe a little more offense from our new starting shooting guard.

Before last night's game, I actually had begun a comparison between last year's and this year's team before deciding it would be more beneficial to wait until at least after the OOC season. In my limited review we are scoring about 4 pts a game less than last year but our defense is permitting about 4 pts per game less this year so our point differential (about +12 ppg) is similar for both years. Similarly our rebounding numbers are down about 3 rebounds less per game but we are giving up about 3 rebounds per game less so our rebounding differential has stayed about the same at +3 RPG. These numbers are without our first player off the bench from last year (expected starter this year) playing at all this year (she saw her first court time last night).

The biggest difference this year is that the team is playing as a team and any one or more players can carry the team. For example, the last two games in the Vancouver Showcase all ten players who saw the court got a rebound and in the last game all players who saw PT also scored. This year's Lady Zag team frequently has 3-5 players in double digit scoring which rarely happened last year. Last night we had a horrible offensive game (particularly the second half), Last night, despite the Thanksgiving hangover, the young ladies kept up the defensive pressure. We lost three (3) very similar games last year. So despite only scoring 50 points last night, we held Colorado State to 39 points and got the "W". I think when we get Jenn Wirth back to full strength (broken finger) and she gets into game shape, our offensive numbers will exceed last year and I think her experience (and size 6'3") will add to our defense. It certainly looks like we have the potential to be both a better offensive team and a better defensive team as long as nobody else gets hurt. Time will tell, but we are playing a better OOC schedule this year. Last year we went 7-4 in our OOC schedule and this year we have gone 7-1 with four (4) more games to go against Stanford, WSU, Missouri State and Idaho. Realistically I would expect that we would win 3 of the 4 remaining OOC games leaving us with an OOC record of 10-2 considerably better than last year with no bad losses and the only losses to ND and Stanford, not to bad.

Time will tell how this team will measure up, but the potential is there to be better than last year's team. We will see how the team handles the pressure of last year's conference schedule and tournament.

ZagDad