X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zagceo
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

Google fires conservatives....Facebook & Twitter deciding who gets heard. Colleges are following suit.

I’m not surprised at all.

I quit donating after they hired that crazy lady from Mizzou.

Comment

• Kong-Kool-Aid
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Ekrub View Post
      Tried to find where Shapiro advocated ethnic cleansing. Can you point me to that?

Here you go.

Comment

• Kong-Kool-Aid
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2009

Does Shapiro not have any other platform in which he can share his thoughts and ideas?

Does a University have an obligation to give a platform to someone who at times will share thoughts and opinions that can at times be thought to be "hate speech"?

I would be shocked if an intellectual Conservative voice who doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator would find the same issues when wanting to speak.

Comment

• Zagceo
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2013

You mean like Angela Davis?

Its complete hypocrisy.

Comment

• gueastcoast
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Wow. Very disappointing.
            Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

• Texas A&M
              Redshirt
              • Aug 2018

As someone who's a t-shirt fan of Gonzaga (and a Catholic), I found this really disappointing. Schools should be places where competing views of thought can be heard.....not places where the Snowflake culture is encouraged.

Comment

• Virginia Zags Fan
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
                Here is the first definition of ethnic cleansing that came up:

eth·nic cleans·ing
                [ˈeTHnik klenziNG]
                NOUN
                the mass expulsion or killing of members of an unwanted ethnic or religious group in a society.
                synonyms:
                slaughter · wholesale slaughter · mass slaughter · wholesale killing · 

I do not agree with the solution he lays out in the article. At the same time, when you said ethnic cleansing, I immediately thought of the Nazis, Rwanda, Bosnia, etc. No, in this article, he is not calling for the extermination of anyone. Expulsion, yes.

However, I see he has a policy of letting people who disagree with him go to the front of the line during the Q&A following his talks. Why not ask him point blank if that is what he believes? Isn’t that the point of free speech in an open society? I have a feeling if he said he believes in mass expulsion, more people would be turned off by what he says.

Comment

• Kong-Kool-Aid
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2009

Not trying to start down another rabbit hole but the Genocide which occurred in Germany began with mass expulsion of the Jews. The mass killings tend to quickly follow those "forced relocations"

Comment

• Zagricultural
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Virginia Zags Fan View Post
                    Really agree with this sentiment. Whether you agree or disagree with someone, stifling is not the answer. More speech is the answer IMHO.
                    This is why it's so disappointing to me. Let both sides be heard. Don't be afraid of Dialogue.

For those saying that the university is in the right could you link one of his many many appearances on colleges in the last couple years where he says the type of things that are so "Dangerous"? I've watched a few, and have never found anything meriting such outcry.

Comment

• Zagricultural
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Virginia Zags Fan View Post
                      Here is the first definition of ethnic cleansing that came up:

eth·nic cleans·ing
                      [ˈeTHnik klenziNG]
                      NOUN
                      the mass expulsion or killing of members of an unwanted ethnic or religious group in a society.
                      synonyms:
                      slaughter · wholesale slaughter · mass slaughter · wholesale killing · 

I do not agree with the solution he lays out in the article. At the same time, when you said ethnic cleansing, I immediately thought of the Nazis, Rwanda, Bosnia, etc. No, in this article, he is not calling for the extermination of anyone. Expulsion, yes.

However, I see he has a policy of letting people who disagree with him go to the front of the line during the Q&A following his talks. Why not ask him point blank if that is what he believes? Isn’t that the point of free speech in an open society? I have a feeling if he said he believes in mass expulsion, more people would be turned off by what he says.
                      Article was from 2003, and he's often refuted the accusations that arose from it.

Comment

• ZagNut08
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

He has Consistently stated that he has changed his opinion since writing that

Comment

• Kong-Kool-Aid
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Zagricultural View Post
                          This is why it's so disappointing to me. Let both sides be heard. Don't be afraid of Dialogue.

For those saying that the university is in the right could you link one of his many many appearances on colleges in the last couple years where he says the type of things that are so "Dangerous"? I've watched a few, and have never found anything meriting such outcry.
                          I'm indifferent as to whether the university is "right or wrong" I do wish the same "outrage" would be afforded to the Gonzaga Student Republicans who decided to bring in a straw man who offers so little actual substance and instead is used to incite or inflame rather than encourage discussion and discourse. There are so many amazing and thoughtful voices who are able to have constructive and thoughtful discussions about the real Conservative movement. People like Shapiro and Yiannopoulos are brought in specifically to become "martyr" of how the alt-right feels "persecuted" rather than for the purpose of discussion or discourse. The Gonzaga Republicans should at the very least should be receiving equal scorn in this situation.

I absolutely agree that the University, any and all universities should be encouraging thoughtful and engaged discussion of a variety of ideas and viewpoints. I'm not so sure they should be offering a platform for someone who promotes some fairly hateful beliefs.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
                            I'm indifferent as to whether the university is "right or wrong" I do wish the same "outrage" would be afforded to the Gonzaga Student Republicans who decided to bring in a straw man who offers so little actual substance and instead is used to incite or inflame rather than encourage discussion and discourse. There are so many amazing and thoughtful voices who are able to have constructive and thoughtful discussions about the real Conservative movement. People like Shapiro and Yiannopoulos are brought in specifically to become "martyr" of how the alt-right feels "persecuted" rather than for the purpose of discussion or discourse. The Gonzaga Republicans should at the very least should be receiving equal scorn in this situation.

I absolutely agree that the University, any and all universities should be encouraging thoughtful and engaged discussion of a variety of ideas and viewpoints. I'm not so sure they should be offering a platform for someone who promotes some fairly hateful beliefs.
                            Quick question; are "hateful beliefs" simply things that you disagree with or can you give concrete examples of things that you don't agree with socially that are not "hateful"? Thanks

Comment

• bartruff1
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2010

All of politics is based upon fearmongering …..all of public policy is based on fearmongering …..just like religion...

Comment

• Virginia Zags Fan
                                Professional Zag Fan
                                • Nov 2009

So, I went on YouTube and typed in Ben Shapiro and up pops Sunday special with Pastor John MacArthur., an individual I greatly respect. What an amazing interview and talk! Did not seem like some instigator to me. If this is what Shapiro is about, I may soon be a fan! Based on what I have seen, I would not put Shapiro and Milo Y in anywhere near the same category.

So, would GU allow Pastor MacArthur to speak?

Comment

Working...
                                X