Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 82

Thread: Gonzaga to allow Shapiro Speech

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,499

    Default

    Wow, so disappointing. Ironic that those that profess "tolerance" the loudest are often the least tolerant. Anyone can be tolerant of people that think just like they do.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Haven’t emailed anyone at the university since graduating until I read this several days ago...no responses. Wish I donated more so they would care about me pulling it.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Wow, so disappointing. Ironic that those that profess "tolerance" the loudest are often the least tolerant. Anyone can be tolerant of people that think just like they do.
    Really agree with this sentiment. Whether you agree or disagree with someone, stifling is not the answer. More speech is the answer IMHO.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    8,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Wow, so disappointing. Ironic that those that profess "tolerance" the loudest are often the least tolerant. Anyone can be tolerant of people that think just like they do.
    Times we live in, spy. Gonzaga was a pretty wild place while I was there. Much smaller, everyone pretty much new everybody.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Wow, so disappointing. Ironic that those that profess "tolerance" the loudest are often the least tolerant. Anyone can be tolerant of people that think just like they do.
    +1

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,106

    Default

    Google fires conservatives....Facebook & Twitter deciding who gets heard. Colleges are following suit.

    I’m not surprised at all.

    I quit donating after they hired that crazy lady from Mizzou.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekrub View Post
    Tried to find where Shapiro advocated ethnic cleansing. Can you point me to that?
    https://townhall.com/columnists/bens...y-word-n976781

    Here you go.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Does Shapiro not have any other platform in which he can share his thoughts and ideas?

    Does a University have an obligation to give a platform to someone who at times will share thoughts and opinions that can at times be thought to be "hate speech"?

    I would be shocked if an intellectual Conservative voice who doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator would find the same issues when wanting to speak.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,106

    Default

    You mean like Angela Davis?

    Its complete hypocrisy.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,191

    Default

    Wow. Very disappointing.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

  11. #36

    Default

    As someone who's a t-shirt fan of Gonzaga (and a Catholic), I found this really disappointing. Schools should be places where competing views of thought can be heard.....not places where the Snowflake culture is encouraged.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    Here is the first definition of ethnic cleansing that came up:

    eth·nic cleans·ing
    [ˈeTHnik klenziNG]
    NOUN
    the mass expulsion or killing of members of an unwanted ethnic or religious group in a society.
    synonyms:
    slaughter · wholesale slaughter · mass slaughter · wholesale killing · 

    I do not agree with the solution he lays out in the article. At the same time, when you said ethnic cleansing, I immediately thought of the Nazis, Rwanda, Bosnia, etc. No, in this article, he is not calling for the extermination of anyone. Expulsion, yes.

    However, I see he has a policy of letting people who disagree with him go to the front of the line during the Q&A following his talks. Why not ask him point blank if that is what he believes? Isn’t that the point of free speech in an open society? I have a feeling if he said he believes in mass expulsion, more people would be turned off by what he says.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Not trying to start down another rabbit hole but the Genocide which occurred in Germany began with mass expulsion of the Jews. The mass killings tend to quickly follow those "forced relocations"

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Zags Fan View Post
    Really agree with this sentiment. Whether you agree or disagree with someone, stifling is not the answer. More speech is the answer IMHO.
    This is why it's so disappointing to me. Let both sides be heard. Don't be afraid of Dialogue.

    For those saying that the university is in the right could you link one of his many many appearances on colleges in the last couple years where he says the type of things that are so "Dangerous"? I've watched a few, and have never found anything meriting such outcry.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Zags Fan View Post
    Here is the first definition of ethnic cleansing that came up:

    eth·nic cleans·ing
    [ˈeTHnik klenziNG]
    NOUN
    the mass expulsion or killing of members of an unwanted ethnic or religious group in a society.
    synonyms:
    slaughter · wholesale slaughter · mass slaughter · wholesale killing · 

    I do not agree with the solution he lays out in the article. At the same time, when you said ethnic cleansing, I immediately thought of the Nazis, Rwanda, Bosnia, etc. No, in this article, he is not calling for the extermination of anyone. Expulsion, yes.

    However, I see he has a policy of letting people who disagree with him go to the front of the line during the Q&A following his talks. Why not ask him point blank if that is what he believes? Isn’t that the point of free speech in an open society? I have a feeling if he said he believes in mass expulsion, more people would be turned off by what he says.
    Article was from 2003, and he's often refuted the accusations that arose from it.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    He has Consistently stated that he has changed his opinion since writing that

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    This is why it's so disappointing to me. Let both sides be heard. Don't be afraid of Dialogue.

    For those saying that the university is in the right could you link one of his many many appearances on colleges in the last couple years where he says the type of things that are so "Dangerous"? I've watched a few, and have never found anything meriting such outcry.
    I'm indifferent as to whether the university is "right or wrong" I do wish the same "outrage" would be afforded to the Gonzaga Student Republicans who decided to bring in a straw man who offers so little actual substance and instead is used to incite or inflame rather than encourage discussion and discourse. There are so many amazing and thoughtful voices who are able to have constructive and thoughtful discussions about the real Conservative movement. People like Shapiro and Yiannopoulos are brought in specifically to become "martyr" of how the alt-right feels "persecuted" rather than for the purpose of discussion or discourse. The Gonzaga Republicans should at the very least should be receiving equal scorn in this situation.

    I absolutely agree that the University, any and all universities should be encouraging thoughtful and engaged discussion of a variety of ideas and viewpoints. I'm not so sure they should be offering a platform for someone who promotes some fairly hateful beliefs.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    I'm indifferent as to whether the university is "right or wrong" I do wish the same "outrage" would be afforded to the Gonzaga Student Republicans who decided to bring in a straw man who offers so little actual substance and instead is used to incite or inflame rather than encourage discussion and discourse. There are so many amazing and thoughtful voices who are able to have constructive and thoughtful discussions about the real Conservative movement. People like Shapiro and Yiannopoulos are brought in specifically to become "martyr" of how the alt-right feels "persecuted" rather than for the purpose of discussion or discourse. The Gonzaga Republicans should at the very least should be receiving equal scorn in this situation.

    I absolutely agree that the University, any and all universities should be encouraging thoughtful and engaged discussion of a variety of ideas and viewpoints. I'm not so sure they should be offering a platform for someone who promotes some fairly hateful beliefs.
    Quick question; are "hateful beliefs" simply things that you disagree with or can you give concrete examples of things that you don't agree with socially that are not "hateful"? Thanks

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,133

    Default

    All of politics is based upon fearmongering …..all of public policy is based on fearmongering …..just like religion...

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    680

    Default

    So, I went on YouTube and typed in Ben Shapiro and up pops Sunday special with Pastor John MacArthur., an individual I greatly respect. What an amazing interview and talk! Did not seem like some instigator to me. If this is what Shapiro is about, I may soon be a fan! Based on what I have seen, I would not put Shapiro and Milo Y in anywhere near the same category.

    So, would GU allow Pastor MacArthur to speak?

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Quick question; are "hateful beliefs" simply things that you disagree with or can you give concrete examples of things that you don't agree with socially that are not "hateful"? Thanks
    After doing a little research, I too would like to know your thoughts in this.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,946

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    680

    Default

    I am not seeing a lot of hate in these. In a heated twitter argument, people will say things in a course manner. That is why when Bush or Obama had gaffes, I generally chalked it up to public speaking all day. Donald Trump I chalk up to being Donald Trump. If Shapiro was calling for the elimination of the Jews or saying something like one minority group is sub human, I could see that. Oh wait, Alt right neonazis and Louis Farrakhan already do that. My bad.

    BTW, gender dysphoria was listed as a mental illness until recently. I work with one Transgender person. Says the transition was a huge mistake and wants to go back. Unfortunately the damage was done. Feel so bad for that person. Compassion is the key.

    All I can say is if a friend or family member came to me and said they wanted to transition, I would try and be as compassionate as possible. However, I would also recommend they seek serious physiological help to figure out when and how these feelings were triggered. For a grown man or woman to decide they are the opposite sex is not normal. It just isn’t. There is no shame in speaking to a counselor before making a life altering and physically demanding choice.

  24. #49

    Default

    This rounds up a lot (but not all) of the reasons I don't take him seriously as an "intellectual" or any sort of moral voice.

    https://static.currentaffairs.org/20...ds-philosopher
    History has its eyes on you.

    Sage of the GU Message Board

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Quick question; are "hateful beliefs" simply things that you disagree with or can you give concrete examples of things that you don't agree with socially that are not "hateful"? Thanks
    I still am waiting for an Answer to this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •