Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Great thread.
    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• LTownZag
      Banned
      • Mar 2017

I'm impressed and heartened to see this thread maintain and civil and information-seeking tone, even amidst respectful disagreement.

I think Shapiro is the sort of persona where most groups see in him what they are hoping or wanting to see.

As far as his most provocative or insensitive statements (which I think are mostly from his teenage years for college days) he has apologized publicly for many (all?) of them. He revels in disagreement and debate but I don't think that he's by nature a disagreeable or disrespectful person.

I think that the University should have allowed the college republicans to have him speak to their club. I don't see how his views on most major issues are particularly different from (for example) most of the folks running for the republican presidential nominations in the pre-Trump era.

Comment

• RenoZag
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

So: Will the Gonzaga University "brand" be enhanced or tarnished if he appears on campus ? Neutral ?
        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Ekrub
          Zag for Life
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
          So: Will the Gonzaga University "brand" be enhanced or tarnished if he appears on campus ? Neutral ?
          Shapiro says some stuff that needs to be said, other times he is a bit of a turd. But I'd hate to see the university go down this path. From what I've seen, people were up on arms over tutu and it's only got worse from there. This stifling of free speech isn't consistent with a Jesuit education, imo. I saw shades of it while I was there and this makes me think it's only going to get worse.

Comment

• Alum08
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2014

Your instincts are correct. Shapiro's appearance probably carried an unacceptable level of financial risk, which is written between the lines in the university's statement.

With the influx of federal loan money, the value of future students (presumably seeking a safe and liberal environment) probably far outweighs any negative impact this decision could have on alumni donations. But still, I personally know of four alumni donors that have pledged to stop donating until this decision is resolved. With so few bastions of free speech left in this country, it's hard to blame them for being selective about which institutions deserve their money.

Comment

• bartruff1
              Zag for Life
              • Jan 2010

Tarnished if he is not allowed to speak....

I recall that some Bishop or whatever tried to prevent the newly elected President, Barack Obama, from speaking at Notre Dame and the school told him to pound sand and welcomed the President to the campus.. thank god....

Comment

• Zagricultural
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Nov 2012

Makes no sense.

This made me sad to see. Especially in light of the professor they hired this year that Missouri fired. Crosby would be sad.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

If the Zags win the next four, it won’t matter.

Seriously, this “controversy” is the kind that blows over in a few days. I don’t see the Gonzaga “brand” tarnished. In today’s world, Jesuit universities are viewed as Uber-liberal (rightly or wrongly).

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
                    I'm impressed and heartened to see this thread maintain and civil and information-seeking tone, even amidst respectful disagreement.

I think Shapiro is the sort of persona where most groups see in him what they are hoping or wanting to see.

As far as his most provocative or insensitive statements (which I think are mostly from his teenage years for college days) he has apologized publicly for many (all?) of them. He revels in disagreement and debate but I don't think that he's by nature a disagreeable or disrespectful person.

I think that the University should have allowed the college republicans to have him speak to their club. I don't see how his views on most major issues are particularly different from (for example) most of the folks running for the republican presidential nominations in the pre-Trump era.
                    During the halcyon era of the Online Crosby Center (OCC), the discourse got very heated at times. Funny though, we always came together during basketball season.

Comment

• batistafan
                      Redshirt
                      • Feb 2007

Haven't posted in years, but I've had three scotches. This makes total sense, but shouldn't be posted in this forum. Go zags.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2007

Wow, so disappointing. Ironic that those that profess "tolerance" the loudest are often the least tolerant. Anyone can be tolerant of people that think just like they do.

Comment

• ZagNut08
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Haven’t emailed anyone at the university since graduating until I read this several days ago...no responses. Wish I donated more so they would care about me pulling it.

Comment

• Virginia Zags Fan
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
                            Wow, so disappointing. Ironic that those that profess "tolerance" the loudest are often the least tolerant. Anyone can be tolerant of people that think just like they do.
                            Really agree with this sentiment. Whether you agree or disagree with someone, stifling is not the answer. More speech is the answer IMHO.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Times we live in, spy. Gonzaga was a pretty wild place while I was there. Much smaller, everyone pretty much new everybody.

Comment

• MEZAG
                                Kennel Club Material
                                • Feb 2007

+1

Comment

Working...
                                X