• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RenoZag
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
    Point of order.

Strictly speaking, the church is not opposed to homosexuality.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_cs...m/p3s2c2a6.htm
    That's not my point. Tex claims Spitzer wouldn't have let this happen, as though Spitzer was somehow open to hosting all points of view. Spitzer's history, OTOH, indicated otherwise. He was a "company man" as the citation I offered demonstrates.

Side note:

I have an acquaintance on FB who states she has a deep love and devotion to "the Catholic faith." She writes: "I oppose hiring professors at Catholic schools who live openly gay lives in contradiction to the Church's moral teaching and in opposition to a Catholic school's mission." She asserts homosexuality "is a moral evil" that violates " fundamental Catholic teaching on the sanctity of complementary marriage." She's waging a lobbying campaign to support Shapiro's appearance via social media, letters to The Bulletin, and other measures. She is in her early 60's, as am I. We have nothing in common when it comes to spiritual matters. Our only common ground is we attended GU.

There are Zags of all political stripes: Conservative. Liberal. Agnostic. Deist. Catholic. Jewish. Protestant. . .the list goes on and on.

Happily, Gonzaga basketball, to a degree, unites these diversities a few hours at a time, 30 - 35 times a year.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-11-2018, 08:02 PM.
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• former1dog
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
      That's not my point.
      You of course know your point better than anyone, but I was replying to the narrow sliver of your post which said the church was opposed to homosexuality. Its an important distinction for me that the myth of Catholicism and Catholics in general as being opposed to homosexuals be extinguished.

Your acquaintence stating that homosexuality is a moral evil is factually wrong, according to the Catechism.

To live in full communion and to the letter of the law of the church, a homosexual must remain chaste.

With that said, I know folks personally who are homosexual and who are in committed relationships with people of the same sex who do attend mass regularly. I welcome them. Are their "sins" an offense to God and all his followers? That is between God and them.

Have a good day.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
        Would Spitzer have an issue with a faculty member whose lifestyle challenged church opposition to homosexuality ?

https://www.gonzagabulletin.com/arts...d281e025f.html
        You got me on that one, RZ, though I don't necessarily equate a play with a public speaker. Times have changed over the past 15-17 years. I'll leave it at that.

Like LIZF, I wouldn't be in favor of bringing back the OCC. It had a good run, but its day is over.

Comment

• bartruff1
          Zag for Life
          • Jan 2010

There is no fact based political civil discourse possible in America today.....there is a multi billion dollar industry that benefits from outrage and anger... the true believers just parrot the talking points they hear or read in their media...as facts...or alternative facts...that is where the OCC ended up....glad it is gone...

Comment

• bartruff1
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2010

Ben Shapiro Allow to speak

University agrees to let Ben speak.....that is a good thing for the First Amendment assuming no one will be forced to see or hear him...…. I would go just for the laughs...

Comment

• LTownZag
              Banned
              • Mar 2017

I agree with this decision. Even if you disagree with Ben's politics, his views are less radical* (and are stated in less inflammatory ways) than the positions of the current US president and many GOP senators, all of whom would be allowed on Campus.

*This excludes about 3-5 inflammatory statements he wrote as a teenager and for which he has apologized.

Comment

• Alum08
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Feb 2014

This is the right decision.

Comment

Working...
                X