Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Other Games - Wednesday, 28 November 2018

Syracuse hands Ohio State its first loss, 72 - 62.

North Alabama loses to Toledo, 80 -59

Northern Colorado 88, Denver 72

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“ We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.” -- Fran J. Polek

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    BYU loses 92-89.
    https://www.cougarboard.com/board/me...ml?id=20855785
    Hey, did you happen to catch Judge Judy the other night?

Purdue overcame a big deficit to pull ahead of FSU and squandered the opportunity for a quality road win with really poor end-of-game decisionmaking. FSU 73, Purdue 72.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“ We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.” -- Fran J. Polek

Poor showing by the WCC tonight. BYU, SMC and USD all go down. SMC now 3-4.

In the case of BYU, if they either make one free throw or box out for the defensive rebound, they win in regulation.

Pacific falls to Fresno St. in OT.

WCC 0-5 on the night.

Ouch.
    Hey, did you happen to catch Judge Judy the other night?

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Purdue overcame a big deficit to pull ahead of FSU and squandered the opportunity for a quality road win with really poor end-of-game decisionmaking. FSU 73, Purdue 72.
    Turnover-city, babeee! Florida State had 17 TO's, but Purdue outdid that with an even 20. Get this: 5 of the 20 Boilermaker turnovers occurred in the last minute of play. I haven't seen so many incomplete passes since, well, last Friday's Apple Cup!
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Pacific falls to Fresno St. in OT.

WCC 0-5 on the night.

Ouch.
    Tried to access the WCC webpage just now. Got the following message: This wccsports.com page can’t be found
    0 for 5 will do that sometimes!

OK, got on the site now. In St Mary's loss to the "Eaters" of Irvine, Jordan Ford scored 30 pts in 40 minutes of PT.
    Last edited by ProVeeZag; 11-28-2018 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Add comment re: St Mary's Jordan Ford
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

I thought SMC was supposed to be bringing in good players this year? What happened? They are already at win WCC tourney or no big dance. Too bad for them and the wcc.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Poor showing by the WCC tonight. BYU, SMC and USD all go down. SMC now 3-4.
    Everyone had to know SMC would eventually go back to meh...
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    Zags looking to fill open position of ‘little brother’ if gaels vacate.

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    I thought SMC was supposed to be bringing in good players this year? What happened? They are already at win WCC tourney or no big dance. Too bad for them and the wcc.
    Samhan, Waldow, & Landale were the centerpiece to their patented pick 'n roll since 2006 (Omar's freshman year).

3 6'11", 250+ guys over the span of 12 seasons helped guide them. They built around these players and rode them to many victories.

Prior to Samhan, they hadn't won more than 20 games since 1996. Gaels were never our "rivals" until 2005 and Daniel Kickert kicked off that unstoppable pick roll and pop offense.

When I was a GU student (2001-2005), we never spoke of SMC until my Senior season, when they had a banner year, which lead to the recruitment of Omar Samhan. I believe my Freshman year they were 0-14 in WCC play. Our primary rivals/challengers were Santa Clara, Pepperdine, & even USD.

SMC does not feature the type of Center they've become so reliant on this season, their biggest player is 6'8" 230 and he's more athletic big. Been a tough adjustment for them.

At this rate we will only be playing SMC once next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    SMC does not feature the type of Center they've become so reliant on this season, their biggest player is 6'8" 230 and he's more athletic big.
    I disagree with this. Perhaps someone is red-shirting, but they do have tall guys on their team above your mentioned 6'8".

JORDAN HUNTER - 6'10"
    JOCK PERRY - 7'1"
    MATTHIAS TASS - 6'10"
    AARON MENZIES - 7'3"

See for youself: https://smcgaels.com/roster.aspx?roster=22&path=mbball

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    Exactly. They have no infrastructure/facilities, a shaky recruiting strategy/pipeline, and a used honda accord salesman for a coach. Is anyone surprised at this?

Default Yes, I am surprised

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    Exactly. They have no infrastructure/facilities, a shaky recruiting strategy/pipeline, and a used honda accord salesman for a coach. Is anyone surprised at this?
    I am totally surprised by this. EVERY year they would lose players.. Kickert, Simpson, Samhan, Mills, Delly, McConnell... etc. and every year I would say.. THIS IS THE YEAR they fall back. And EVERY year RB would have his team competing at the top of the league. In my mind.. this year was NO different. Total surprise.

I feel they are TOO reliant on Ford. JMO. but I think RB figures it out. I think they still compete with LMU, USD, USF and BYU for 2nd place.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
    I disagree with this. Perhaps someone is red-shirting, but they do have tall guys on their team above your mentioned 6'8".

JORDAN HUNTER - 6'10"
    JOCK PERRY - 7'1"
    MATTHIAS TASS - 6'10"
    AARON MENZIES - 7'3"

See for youself: https://smcgaels.com/roster.aspx?roster=22&path=mbball
    It has more to do with their ability to accurately and quickly run the pick and roll that Bennett likes. By the time they are getting the ball out to Ford or one of their wings off the pick and roll, the defense has recovered and Ford is out there trying to go one-on-one from 20 ft out.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    I am totally surprised by this. EVERY year they would lose players.. Kickert, Simpson, Samhan, Mills, Delly, McConnell... etc. and every year I would say.. THIS IS THE YEAR they fall back. And EVERY year RB would have his team competing at the top of the league. In my mind.. this year was NO different. Total surprise.

I feel they are TOO reliant on Ford. JMO. but I think RB figures it out. I think they still compete with LMU, USD, USF and BYU for 2nd place.
    Well this year your prognostication came true
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

Well my question was answered...at least one person is surprised. I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Evan Fitzner is a big loss (grad transfer). I watched the Duke - Indiana game and he played big minutes for IU.

Seems you're diminishing the accomplishment just a bit too much.

They had that infrastructure/facilities and worse, and were the 2nd worst team in D-1 prior to Bennett. For whatever else Randy did, he built that place into at least respectable, some years more so.

So, in my mind, it is quite surprising, and not indicative of what they can do. Seems likely a one year drop off without talent, and that there's more reason to think they'll build it back than fold.

Lots to note about Randy's tendencies, but there's no denying he built something out of nothing.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

My thoughts as well on SMC.

On a related matter, when Emery joins the BYU team they could start clicking better. Their shooting (specifically at the 3 pt line has been their Achilles heel. He could help remedy that).

Keep in mind, 7'3" Menzies will return from injury later this season.

He moves unbelievably well for his massive size. Check YouTube. Rapid developing center and the missing piece needed to help anchor the middle and run pick n roll.

They are barely losing these games

Me thinks a different SMC team by start of 2019.

All those transfers still finding their role too...
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

Well my question was answered...at least one person is surprised. I'm not.
    A little premature to dance on their grave imo. They're missing a couple of key pieces in Zoriks (a walkon is getting a lot of minutes in his absence; the other young guards apparently aren't ready) and Menzies, and Tass isn't ready to replace the series of bigs raise mentioned. I thought Ford was ready to take over the pg spot, but so far he looks best suited to playing the 2 and being a scorer. The lack of a Landale/Waldow/Omar type means they need to retool their offense as mentioned above.

I still think they'll wind up good enough to contend for an NIT spot, and there's talent in the fr class for future years. Every program takes an occasional dip when key guys leave. It wasn't that long ago that the Zags were struggling in the nonconf; Perk's rs fr year to be exact. In December '15, some people were predicting that would be the year they'd miss the tourney, as Perk and McClellan were said to be not good enough.