Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Geno Crandall out 4 to 6 weeks

That's a shame. I was fully expecting Coach Few to loosen the reins on Crandall against ND St like he did when Dranginis scored 30 against Lewis-Clark St.

I really hope this is an opportunity for Ayayi. Very surprised that Few has gone to Foster before Ayayi in some of these early games. Ayayi has impressed me with his defensive activity and ability to make the right read on offense in the limited minutes that I've seen him play

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Well, we should sure see tonight where things stand, bc both young men will likely be asked to play real minutes. I hope one of them can perform adequately well to get Perk 2-3 minutes rest each half.
    I certainly share your hope and well wishes. As you stated, we may see this play out in the next week or two. Tonight will be a training run with the true test coming this weekend.

Would also like to know if it is his right or left hand if anyone knows,

Let the standard be the standard (backup players taking lead roles).

SSF contributor Steven Karr says 4-6 weeks, but doesn't cite a source:

Steven Karr

@SKarrG0
    Follow Follow @SKarrG0
    More
    Geno Crandall out 4-6 weeks. We’ll see if Joel Ayayi and Greg Foster can step up.

And now Meehan says the same:

Jim Meehan@SRJimm
    1 min ago
    Gonzaga's Geno Crandall suffered a fracture in his right hand during Sunday's practice. Out 4-6 weeks. GU already without Killian Tillie (ankle) for about another month.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    SSF contributor Steven Karr says 4-6 weeks, but doesn't cite a source:
    The way the schedule is structured, it is almost enough to say that it doesn't look like he'll be back for UNC, and thus he's on the Tillie time frame in terms of getting him peaking in March.

Not saying we take LMU, USD and such lightly, not at all. But, there's almost no point in trying to shave off 5 days in December if he cannot be there for the UNC game.

Can Kispert play PG in a real pinch?

...Rui?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Does anyone know if students will be on break for Chapel Hill?
    Get well soon Geno!!!!
    UNC last day of Finals is Friday Dec 14th, game is on Dec 15th.

At 4-6 weeks that means out rest of the OOC schedule and back with Tillie at the start of league play. Not optimal but good opportunity for one of Ayayi/Foster to step up. One potential silver lining is that it will get good experience for the younger guys that could pay off later in the year.

Ayayi played exactly zero minutes at point guard this summer for France. He was a shooting guard and small forward.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Ayayi played exactly zero minutes at point guard this summer for France. He was a shooting guard and small forward.
    If you are responding to me, I would view Ayayi as an option to play at the 2 or 3 spots with Norvell playing some minutes at the PG spot to give Perk a break. If it's Foster that gets more minutes, which I would imagine would be the case of those two, he would be used at the PG position. They might just go with Norvell at the PG to rest Perkins, shift Kispert to the SG spot, and run with Jones on the wing as another option.

Heres how Few can distribute the minutes till Geno and Tillie get back:

pg-- Josh 32 norvell 8
    sg --Norvell 24 Kispert 10 Jones 6
    sf --Kispert 15 Jones 20 Rui 5
    PF --Rui 28 Clarke 7 Filip 5
    C.--Carke 25 Filip 15

There it is.....Solved.

Why would Mark Few say a "couple of weeks" and then all of a sudden it becomes 4-6 weeks? I suppose they could have been looking at the MRI while Few was on the air.

https://twitter.com/SRJimm/status/1067206715332935680

42 days (6 weeks) from today is January 7. So worst case scenario GU gets Crandall back for the Pacific home game on January 10. That still gives him 17 games before the start of the NCAA tournament to get ready to be at his best.

28 days (4 weeks) is December 24. If he makes it back sooner, he will have a couple of pre-conference warm-ups against North Alabama and CSU-Bakersfield.

I feel awful for Geno. This is his final year of eligibility, and he's had to spend most of his career playing for bad or mediocre teams at North Dakota. He needs all the playing time he can. I suppose the only silver lining is that I would rather have him have some hand injury than some foot injury. At least Geno can keep his cardio up, although he will lose some of it because no treadmill can simulate playing in front 16,000 fans.

I think you are pretty much along the lines of what we will see. I do think that we will see Foster play some though and I don't think Jones gets more than 20 minutes a game. It will adjust depending on the competition level. For tonight, I'd expect it like this (I am expecting a large margin game):

PG - Perkins (30), Foster (10)
    SG - Norvell (30), Kispert (10)
    SF - Kispert (20), Jones (20)
    PF - Rui (30), Petrusev (10)
    C - Clark (30), Petrusev (10)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I think you are pretty much along the lines of what we will see. I do think that we will see Foster play some though and I don't think Jones gets more than 20 minutes a game. It will adjust depending on the competition level. For tonight, I'd expect it like this (I am expecting a large margin game):

PG - Perkins (30), Foster (10)
    SG - Norvell (30), Kispert (10)
    SF - Kispert (20), Jones (20)
    PF - Rui (30), Petrusev (10)
    C - Clark (30), Petrusev (10)
    If I had a guess, Norvell probably doesn’t come off the court more than 2-3 mins unless he’s in foul trouble or it’s a blowout
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post

pg-- Josh 32 norvell 8
    C.--Carke 25 Filip 15

There it is.....Solved.
    Foster may get a few minutes, particularly if there is foul trouble, but I suspect you could see something like posted above. Josh and Zach may be closer to 34-35 minutes a game.

At the start of conference play (or in the cupcakes before conference) It wouldn’t surprise me to see Foster get more minutes, particularly as the margin of victory increases.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Foster may get a few minutes, particularly if there is foul trouble, but I suspect you could see something like posted above. Josh and Zach may be closer to 34-35 minutes a game.

At the start of conference play (or in the cupcakes before conference) It wouldn’t surprise me to see Foster get more minutes, particularly as the margin of victory increases.

Crandall is averaging 18 minutes per game providing five points per game and has 14 assists. This is a lot of time that someone needs to be ready to step up for.

I suspect that the Coaching Staff will throw some playing time towards Jack Beach, Foster, Ayayi, and perhaps play Alex Martin a bit. If none of those work out they can play small ball with Paul Pennington who is a 5'10 160 pound Rem prototype.

I wonder if we'll see that zone come out a few more times each half to decrease some of the foul pressure, and maybe require them to move their feet a little less.

I know it hurts rebounding and shot blocking. But, gotta pick your poison if you don't have a back-up PG.

So far, Foster played okay tonight.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Ayayi is very talented, all the skills and attributes you could want, but learning the offense has been wayyy behind.

His defense and skill set is ready, his bball IQ leaves a lot to be desired.

He is more of an off guard anyway.

I feel bad for Crandall because he worked so hard to get here and was just seeming to get on track.

Interesting tidbit on Ayayi about having the tools but struggling with the offense. It’s reassuring, actually. Maybe he’ll get there next year, when it looms like we are really going to need some guard help.

Somewhat OT...but Geno Crandall sounds like someone who sells...fine meats and cheeses. Crandall "Meats and Cheeses"...yup
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Crandell had his right arm in a sling tonight. He should be back for the Santa Clara game 1/5 or the Pacific game 1/10. For sure he misses the next four games, all BIG games, and should be back about the same time as Tillie. Really feel for the kid after all he went though to get here.

Get well Geno. I guess we go 7 deep. Norvell, Kispert, Jones, even Rui can dribble up half the court. The offense is more flex/motion not pick and roll. I’m not worried.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post

pg-- Josh 32 norvell 8
    C.--Carke 25 Filip 15

There it is.....Solved.
    Josh 40.

Sorry Josh.