Thread: Rating GU's 2019 Recruiting Class

Default Rating GU's 2019 Recruiting Class

#4, according to 247Sports composite rankings.

"College basketball fans are used to seeing the Zags near the top of the on-court rankings, but they usually don’t have recruiting classes that are rated this highly. A program that has seen much success with transfers and international players, Gonzaga has had a top 25 national recruiting class just once in the past 10 years (No. 20 in 2016) and has often been outside of the top 100 in such rankings.

This time around, Mark Few has commitments from top-50 national prospects Pavel Zakharov, Drew Timme and Anton Watson, in addition to top-150 players Brock Ravet and Martynas Arlauskas."

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/coll...222136355.html
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

arlauskas was in the top 50 too when only 247 had him ranked...obviously other outlets have also listed him now, and not particularly high since his composite ranking dropped quite a bit. i thought 247 had him a little high, but now he's probably underrated...

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    arlauskas was in the top 50 too when only 247 had him ranked...obviously other outlets have also listed him now, and not particularly high since his composite ranking dropped quite a bit. i thought 247 had him a little high, but now he's probably underrated...
    To me...

Pavel seems like real deal. Rating on par.

Timme can seem overmatched too often. Maybe a bit overhyped given his ranking. Still a very good player.

Anton is next level good with more coaching, refinement. Seems underrated overall.

Arlauskas could develop into a nice prospect but I am not sold on him. Like his size and stroke but lacking many areas to his game. More tape coming out, more he plays ve better players, the more he drops.

Collectively, very good class. A coup. An accomplishment. Some nice pieces to build around and almost all different positions to boot. Some seem underrated and a couple overrated compared to previous players we have recruited and other players ranked around them.

The trajectory of the Zags is toward a national championship ..... although I’m concerned that with higher ranked recruits GU/Few/staff may have a more difficult time with team building being that players could exit sooner for the NBA. Sure glad both Rui & Killian are here this season.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

After seeing how good Filip is....right out of the gate, I think that the recruiting services "under value" foreigners unless they are on the hype train, typically from being recruited by blue bloods.

Of course we don't know how good this class really is until they hit the GU practice court, but I have to believe that 2019 is the best GU recruiting class ever.

One thing we know for sure. Mark Few's staff is among the best with respect to player development and defining successful roles for players. I always wondered how Mark Few would fare with a top 10 recruiting class.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    The trajectory of the Zags is toward a national championship ..... although I’m concerned that with higher ranked recruits GU/Few/staff may have a more difficult time with team building being that players could exit sooner for the NBA. Sure glad both Rui & Killian are here this season.
    I don't think so Zagger. I think the 2nd thing they look for IS how the player is as a person ... as a teammate. There's a big difference between getting Top 50 guys and Top 5 guys. The guys GU has gotten in the past that "would" be Top 10 ish recruits (all else being equal) DID fit the GU mold (i.e. Domas and Rui). At least that's what I think.

What Kentucky, Duke, & Kansas are for the 1 and done Gonzaga is the for the elite International recruits and elite yet unpolished transfers. The only area that Gonzaga has had difficulty is landing an super elite level PG out of high school and that will change in 2020 when Dominick Harris comes aboard because he has all the tools to be Gonzaga's first one and done freshman PG. I think after Ayayi that Gonzaga will stay away from the international PG & SG prospects because while they are super intelligent they aren't athletic enought to bang against other bodies on the court. Success as an international PG has not translated so well to the NCAA (outside of Canada). I'm still very surprised though that Gonzaga doesn't get more elite level players from Canada considering the fact that every game is broadcast in British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan. The hard part though is finding players who fit in the Gonzaga system because in the AAU ranks many programs cherish individualism not playing as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    Is Arlauskas actually ranked on other sites besides 24/7? Its been stated before that the reason why he's so low on the composite is that its an average of 24/7 and ESPN and others, but because he's not been actually "ranked" by everyone else the composite ranking drops. Basically he gets a default rating on the other sites that drags him down.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Is Arlauskas actually ranked on other sites besides 24/7? Its been stated before that the reason why he's so low on the composite is that its an average of 24/7 and ESPN and others, but because he's not been actually "ranked" by everyone else the composite ranking drops. Basically he gets a default rating on the other sites that drags him down.
    Arlauskas had a profile made on ESPN, which gives a general 2 star rating unless they update it, that is why he has fallen so far. Don't worry about the composite ranking at this point, he is a top 50 recruit per 247's ranking and they are pretty spot on with him in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Arlauskas had a profile made on ESPN, which gives a general 2 star rating unless they update it, that is why he has fallen so far. Don't worry about the composite ranking at this point, he is a top 50 recruit per 247's ranking and they are pretty spot on with him in my opinion.
    Yeah that's what I thought too

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Yeah that's what I thought too
    You were spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    What Kentucky, Duke, & Kansas are for the 1 and done Gonzaga is the for the elite International recruits and elite yet unpolished transfers. The only area that Gonzaga has had difficulty is landing an super elite level PG out of high school and that will change in 2020 when Dominick Harris comes aboard because he has all the tools to be Gonzaga's first one and done freshman PG. I think after Ayayi that Gonzaga will stay away from the international PG & SG prospects because while they are super intelligent they aren't athletic enought to bang against other bodies on the court. Success as an international PG has not translated so well to the NCAA (outside of Canada). I'm still very surprised though that Gonzaga doesn't get more elite level players from Canada considering the fact that every game is broadcast in British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan. The hard part though is finding players who fit in the Gonzaga system because in the AAU ranks many programs cherish individualism not playing as a team.
    Not to be dismissive of your points at all, but the last thing I'm worried about with Ayayi is a lack of athleticism. For me, his biggest issue is just that he is young and learning how to play basketball within our complex system. I think he will be fine by the time he is done here. Only other thing I would say is that I don't see Dominic Davis as a one and done player although I do think he has next level potential. Regardless, he should have an impact as a true freshman at the guard spots.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Good post.

We're overdue for another top Canadian.

Any in the pipeline?

Sacre
    Olynick
    Pangos ...
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

A good class, but unbalanced so far. Too many Fs and Cs, nary a guard to be seen. This class needs a couple ball-handling sharp-shooting guards.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    A good class, but unbalanced so far. Too many Fs and Cs, nary a guard to be seen. This class needs a couple ball-handling sharp-shooting guards.
    Brock Ravet and.....a reclassified to 2019 Dominic Harris!?
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Good post.

We're overdue for another top Canadian.

Any in the pipeline?

Sacre
    Olynick
    Pangos ...
    Don't forget Vancouver's Brandon Clarke!

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Brock Ravet and.....a reclassified to 2019 Dominic Harris!?
    Not going to happen, Harris is a 2020 kid and doubt that changes.