Thread: Way, Way, Way OT

Default Way, Way, Way OT

(mods feel free to move whenever)

Shout out to Colville HS Football (the alma mater of bigblahla & yours truly). The 5th seeded Indians knocked off #1 Royal yesterday in the 1A semifinals 31-28, game played in Moses Lake. Royal, the 3 time defending state champions, had outscored it's opponents this year 673-33 and were the winners of 53 straight games. There last loss was Nov. 22, 2014 in the state quarterfinals, to Colville.

To add icing to the cake the winners of the other 1A semifinal (also in Moses Lake) were the Newport Grizzlies, setting up an all Northeast A league state championship. Colville defeated Newport in the regular season 28-7. They were however knocked off by Newport last year in the playoffs after having beaten them in the regular season.
    Hey, did you happen to catch Judge Judy the other night?

Congratulations! Beating Royal is a huge deal these days. Good luck next week in the championship!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Good stuff!

Congrats to the Colville Indians! (A little biased as my grandkids go there).

I remember when Royal City was not much more than a gas station and now they're "A"?. How does this years Colville team compare to the '64 gang (Douvia, Haney,West, Peone, etc)?
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I remember when Royal City was not much more than a gas station and now they're "A"?. How does this years Colville team compare to the '64 gang (Douvia, Haney,West, Peone, etc)?
    Good knowledge there Bird. That '64 team was dominant. Only gave up 6 points all year (to a 2A ranked Mead team. Game was moved to the Spokane Indians Stadium to handle the crowd). Haney played @ Idaho & then for the Detroit Lions for a few years. Douvia went to Oregon. Haven't heard of any D1 football prospects on this team, though their QB is already a 2 time defending state wrestling champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Peone is legendary name in region north of us. Are there any Peones playing these days?
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Peone is legendary name in region north of us. Are there any Peones playing these days?
    Not in Colville but I still see the name pop up on some of the towns on or near the Reservation.

Lived across the street from the Peone's. Gary's little brother was my classmate (& my Little League catcher) & a pretty damn good athlete in his own right.

I don't know much about Colville, but I have family in Northport, Kettle Falls, Deer Park and Newport, and they had kids, so I am sure some animosity is due! LOL
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Nice "50", Grizzlies and Indians for a state championship.... let's go Indians.... ....

Go!! Colville!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Gary was a LOAD. As a Jr he weighed about 225lbs and as a Sr another 5 or 10. He could run 100 yds in the low 10's. I hit him once on a tackle and couldn't reach around his thighs they were so big. It was like hitting a Douglas Fir that was moving.
    Birddog

Who did you play for, Bird?

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Who did you play for, Bird?
    DPHS, we were small, slow, and not very athletic. In '63 we were poorly coached as well and the Indians beat us 53 to 0. In '64 we had a good coach but he couldn't overcome the small, slow, etc. Colville won 33 to 0 but it was only 13 to 0 at the half. Then Douvia hit West on a bomb and the door was opened IIRC.
    Birddog

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Not in Colville but I still see the name pop up on some of the towns on or near the Reservation.

Lived across the street from the Peone's. Gary's little brother was my classmate (& my Little League catcher) & a pretty damn good athlete in his own right.
    I'm sure you hear about this--https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/chris-peone-obituary?pid=190196268

Quote Originally Posted by avid-zag-fan View Post
    I'm sure you hear about this--https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/chris-peone-obituary?pid=190196268
    I helped to arrange his memorial along with his long time friend and bandmate Chris Goetter.... "50"and a number of the class of "70", friends and family were in attendance to celebrate his life and say one last goodbye to the "Cowboy", as my daughter has called him since she was little.... he was also my bandmate and good friend for over 50 years.... his smile is missed by all who knew him....

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    I helped to arrange his memorial along with his long time friend and bandmate Chris Goetter.... "50"and a number of the class of "70", friends and family were in attendance to celebrate his life and say one last goodbye to the "Cowboy", as my daughter has called him since she was little.... he was also my bandmate and good friend for over 50 years.... his smile is missed by all who knew him....
    +1

Colville thrashes Newport 48-7 to win there 1st ever State Championship in football!