• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sittingon50
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Way, Way, Way OT

(mods feel free to move whenever)

Shout out to Colville HS Football (the alma mater of bigblahla & yours truly). The 5th seeded Indians knocked off #1 Royal yesterday in the 1A semifinals 31-28, game played in Moses Lake. Royal, the 3 time defending state champions, had outscored it's opponents this year 673-33 and were the winners of 53 straight games. There last loss was Nov. 22, 2014 in the state quarterfinals, to Colville.

To add icing to the cake the winners of the other 1A semifinal (also in Moses Lake) were the Newport Grizzlies, setting up an all Northeast A league state championship. Colville defeated Newport in the regular season 28-7. They were however knocked off by Newport last year in the playoffs after having beaten them in the regular season.
    But we don't play nobody.
  • Radbooks
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2007

Congratulations! Beating Royal is a huge deal these days. Good luck next week in the championship!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Comment

• katman50
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Good stuff!

Comment

• dazags
        Kennel Club Material
        • Nov 2007

Congrats to the Colville Indians! (A little biased as my grandkids go there).

Comment

• Birddog
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I remember when Royal City was not much more than a gas station and now they're "A"?. How does this years Colville team compare to the '64 gang (Douvia, Haney,West, Peone, etc)?
          Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
          Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
          All mimsy were the borogoves,
          And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• sittingon50
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
            I remember when Royal City was not much more than a gas station and now they're "A"?. How does this years Colville team compare to the '64 gang (Douvia, Haney,West, Peone, etc)?
            Good knowledge there Bird. That '64 team was dominant. Only gave up 6 points all year (to a 2A ranked Mead team. Game was moved to the Spokane Indians Stadium to handle the crowd). Haney played @ Idaho & then for the Detroit Lions for a few years. Douvia went to Oregon. Haven't heard of any D1 football prospects on this team, though their QB is already a 2 time defending state wrestling champion.

Comment

• Mantua
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
              Peone is legendary name in region north of us. Are there any Peones playing these days?
              Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• sittingon50
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mantua View Post
                Peone is legendary name in region north of us. Are there any Peones playing these days?
                Not in Colville but I still see the name pop up on some of the towns on or near the Reservation.

Lived across the street from the Peone's. Gary's little brother was my classmate (& my Little League catcher) & a pretty damn good athlete in his own right.

Comment

• willandi
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

I don't know much about Colville, but I have family in Northport, Kettle Falls, Deer Park and Newport, and they had kids, so I am sure some animosity is due! LOL
                  Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• bigblahla
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Nice "50", Grizzlies and Indians for a state championship.... let's go Indians.... ....

Go!! Colville!!!
                    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• Birddog
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mantua View Post
                      Gary was a LOAD. As a Jr he weighed about 225lbs and as a Sr another 5 or 10. He could run 100 yds in the low 10's. I hit him once on a tackle and couldn't reach around his thighs they were so big. It was like hitting a Douglas Fir that was moving.
                      Birddog

Comment

• sittingon50
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Who did you play for, Bird?

Comment

• Birddog
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                          Who did you play for, Bird?
                          DPHS, we were small, slow, and not very athletic. In '63 we were poorly coached as well and the Indians beat us 53 to 0. In '64 we had a good coach but he couldn't overcome the small, slow, etc. Colville won 33 to 0 but it was only 13 to 0 at the half. Then Douvia hit West on a bomb and the door was opened IIRC.
                          Birddog

Comment

• avid-zag-fan
                            Bulldog Fan
                            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                            Not in Colville but I still see the name pop up on some of the towns on or near the Reservation.

Lived across the street from the Peone's. Gary's little brother was my classmate (& my Little League catcher) & a pretty damn good athlete in his own right.
                            I'm sure you hear about this--https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/chris-peone-obituary?pid=190196268

Comment

• bigblahla
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by avid-zag-fan View Post
                              I'm sure you hear about this--https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/chris-peone-obituary?pid=190196268
                              I helped to arrange his memorial along with his long time friend and bandmate Chris Goetter.... "50"and a number of the class of "70", friends and family were in attendance to celebrate his life and say one last goodbye to the "Cowboy", as my daughter has called him since she was little.... he was also my bandmate and good friend for over 50 years.... his smile is missed by all who knew him....
                              "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

Working...
                              X