• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • former1dog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
    An athletic Karnowski?

Not in my opinion. Mainly because he really doesn't play as a back to basket type.

I know this is really, really, really unfair to everyone in this conversation and to whom this conversation is about, BUT I'm just going to throw out what I thought when I have watched Timme play on video at the HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL. I thought to myself, that kid looks like Larry Bird out there.

Comment

• IowaSERE
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Oct 2008

Has a black kid ever been compared to Larry Bird? Just curious.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
        Zag for Life
        • May 2008

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
        Not in my opinion. Mainly because he really doesn't play as a back to basket type.

I know this is really, really, really unfair to everyone in this conversation and to whom this conversation is about, BUT I'm just going to throw out what I thought when I have watched Timme play on video at the HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL. I thought to myself, that kid looks like Larry Bird out there.
        I thought he was a lot like Domas in the video I saw. He is a very good passer, no doubt. I didn't see anything from range in the stuff I watched but I wouldn't doubt he has some face up game. I didn't see Bird myself, but that doesn't diminish your view, just my take.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by IowaSERE View Post
          Has a black kid ever been compared to Larry Bird? Just curious.
          Has a white kid ever been compared to Jordan or LeBron?

Regardless of the question... few people get compared to Bird, mostly because his style of play was so uniquely his own.

JMHO... never a fan of comparing any new player with someone from the past... just me... not fair to anyone involved.
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• former1dog
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
            I thought he was a lot like Domas in the video I saw. He is a very good passer, no doubt. I didn't see anything from range in the stuff I watched but I wouldn't doubt he has some face up game. I didn't see Bird myself, but that doesn't diminish your view, just my take.
            I should clarify. I was praising his passing game and Kitz replied with "An athletic Karnowski?" regarding Karnowski's great floor vision and passing out of the post. We will see, of course, but Timme against high school competition seems to have very good handles, even in the open floor, and did a lot of passing from a facing the basket position, rather than the post up.

I think he can shoot with range, but I'm not sure if he depends on it. I have seen plenty of evidence that he is comfortable breaking a defender down off the dribble.

That all said, he seems to be versatile with a high basketball IQ and his stats back it up.

Lastly, I'm not sure what the point of asking if a black kid has ever been compared to Larry Bird?

IMHO what made Larry Bird unique is the fact that although he lacked the athleticism of nearly everyone around him (in the NBA), he was quite possibly the most skilled player with the highest basketball IQ to ever play the game. In fact, interestingly enough, Magic Johnson might be a good black player to compare to Larry Bird as someone nearly as skilled with a little more athleticism than Larry.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
              IMHO what made Larry Bird unique is the fact that although he lacked the athleticism of nearly everyone around him (in the NBA), he was quite possibly the most skilled player with the highest basketball IQ to ever play the game. In fact, interestingly enough, Magic Johnson might be a good black player to compare to Larry Bird as someone nearly as skilled with a little more athleticism than Larry.
              Those two were two peas in a pod. One with more athleticism, the other with an uncanny ability to hit the basket from anywhere on the floor.
              "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Markburn1
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2015

Nobody had the mental toughness of Larry Bird. Jordan was a close second.

Comment

• willandi
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
                  Nobody had the mental toughness of Larry Bird. Jordan was a close second.
                  I wasn't a big fan of Jordan. He was great, but he seemed to use his body a lot to get open. Kicking his legs out at odd angles to keep defenders away and to draw a foul on them is just one example.
                  Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• EEzag
                    Kennel Club Alum
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                    I wasn't a big fan of Jordan. He was great, but he seemed to use his body a lot to get open. Kicking his legs out at odd angles to keep defenders away and to draw a foul on them is just one example.
                    Based on HS alone, I see a lot of Christian Laettner in Drew. Of course, Laettner's college success is legendary, but for a High School comparison, I'd say they play a lot alike.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Ballislife.com

Verified account

@Ballislife
                      2m2 minutes ago
                      More
                      Gonzaga bound Drew Timme during King of The Court at Ballislife All American practice ��

Comment

• scrooner
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

He's got moves.

Comment

• exclusivelee
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2013

Can you say Boogie Timme?

Comment

• Bogozags
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2008

I wonder if we are even recruiting him...seems like most sites have him going to Memphis...

Comment

• Spike#1
                              Kennel Club Alum
                              • Oct 2016

I remember reading that Timme was going to arrive on campus early to enroll in summer courses. When does the summer session start? Does anyone know if Timme is on campus now? Any updates?

Really excited to see what he will bring the to Zags! Based on his HS career, and the fact that he's got a motor that doesn't quit, along with his swagger and confidence, Timme could be one of the all time great Zags. Can't wait for him to get rolling!

@JJP_Basketball
                              1m1 minute ago
                              More
                              @drewtimme2 rewrote the record books of JJ Pearce Basketball. He finished his career with 3,102 points, 1,889 rebounds, 478 assists, and 265 blocked shots. All of these are school records. So proud to have him wear a Mustang Jersey.

Comment

• exclusivelee
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Spike#1 View Post
                                When does the summer session start?
                                The first session started May 20 & ends June 28

The second session begins July 1 and ends August 9

Comment

Working...
                                X