Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great GU sayings/quotes, etc from over the years

"One thing I took away from Gonzaga is that success is just a byproduct of doing things the right way. That's why we were successful and I think that's why they continue to be successful. The kids are taught how to do things correctly early on and all the other stuff, the recognition, the notoriety, the wins, is just a byproduct."

- Matt Santangelo
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

"Let us drink from the chalice filled with their salty tears." Surfmonkey89

I think he was a walk-on or something.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

I know this was from the final episode of the HBO special and I know this isn't exactly right. Maybe someone has it recorded still or has a better memory than me.

"Gonzaga, where improbable fantasy becomes inevitable reality"
    Last edited by T-bonedazag; 11-25-2018 at 08:39 PM. Reason: spelling
    “I enjoy coming in and being hated."
    -Matt Bouldin

Heytvelt on how badly GU needed a win: “Like a kid needs his two front teeth for Christmas.”

Water the Bamboo
    - Robert Sacre

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    " I always have, and still do, take it day by day. If you're lucky enough to have a job like this, you get up every morning and thank God you've got another day to do it again." -- Mark Few.

Dan Fitzgerald, on Mark Few: "Of the guys who worked for me, he turned over the most rocks. He's a scrounger who would go out there and mine some good guys. And the thing I really loved about that guy, if you ever tried to bully him, man, he'd shove it right back at you."

( From Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood by Dave Boling, 2004
    The Boling book referenced was re-published in 2015 with a revised title and dust-jacket: Tales from the Gonzaga Locker Room It's the same book. Might have been republished because the 'Hardwood' version was out of print.

To be continued...

I can't find the exact quote but I think it was Huggins who said that 'most teams recruit athletes to play basketball while Few recruits basketball players'. Maybe someone has the exact quote.

It perfectly summed up for me one of the secrets for Gonzaga: no matter many future NBA players you have on your roster, you can only have 5 on the floor and you only get points for putting the ball in the basket.

“The chances of that happening are about the same as Bigfoot having my baby,”

- Mark Few

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Broadcaster Dick Wright was a classic Zag homer. I really looked forward to listening to him. My favorite quote from him in reference to a referee who just made a “bad” call: “He’s a busher from somewhere north of nowhere.”

I cannot make the exact quote, I heard it or read it, and it is from Few and it speaks volumes.

Few was referencing just how special a place Gonzaga is,

He said something like: "it's not just a basketball thing, it doesn't matter if you're a chemistry guy, or an education guy, you walk on this campus and something special hits, you know you're part of something really special."

That's not a direct quote but you get the sense of what he was saying. Mostly, that the basketball program was an extension of the school itself, that the basketball program mirrored the school itself, not the other way around.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.