Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great GU sayings/quotes, etc from over the years

Default Great GU sayings/quotes, etc from over the years

I'm trying to put together a list of memorable quotes or great sayings from over the years. Can you guys help me out if you have any?? Things like:

Gonzaga is a special place, with special people. (Was that Turiaf?)

"I just don't wanna take this jersey off" (Zach Gourde)

Zag Up!

We are GU!

Can't Stop the 'Stache

Gonzaga, short shorts started here.

Specifically, I'm looking for some things that could/would be good on a T-shirt! Or, to make a banner and hang on a wall in a man cave.

THANKS ALL!
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...90#post1308290

Does anything here help?

Default "Shot clock turned off " "Gonzaga is headed to the Final Four! - add YOUR favorite
    “Gonzaga is headed to the Final Four!!!” CBS Brian Anderson 3/17

“I’m a mess, I did the last 10 minutes of the game in tears. There are so many people in the history of the program who are celebrating this – and coach Few has kept us all together to feel like we’re a part of it.” Matt Santangelo 3/17

"I'm not an expert on Fairy Tales, but it seems to me that Cinderella only went to one dance."MarkFew3/01

"Over comes Matt Santangelo, the All-America point guard. I said to him 'I stayed up all night in our studios watching you shoot the lights out against Santa Clara '." DiggerPhelps 12/99

. "Everyone remembers our charmed little run. They don't remember losing at TCU or at San Diego or hitting a three-pointer at the buzzer to beat Texas-Pan American. Nobody remembers that game." Few12/99

"These guys are a poor-man's UNC - one great guard, a good big man, and crap everywhere else. Have they stopped for one second to wonder who is going to keep a lid on Chris Williams' baseline jumper if Calvary is covering Watson? You are right - the 'Zaga bandwagon has ballooned to ridiculous proportions. Me thinks that we are going to lay an ass-whoopin' on them." UVaJimBeam3/14/01

" 'This is a team that was on the ropes and responded.' Game was tied at 60 and Gonzaga ends the game on a 25 to 8 run. MAKE IT THREE STRAIGHT Sweet 16 appearances for Gonzaga! It's OVER at the Pyramid. They hold off upstart Indiana State to win it going away 85 to 68."- Ian call me eye-ann Eagle and Jim Spanarkle3/01.

"Guys like Jeff Brown, they passed the legacy, the work ethic on to Casey, who has passed it on to Cory Violette. It continues today with the new guys" Mark Few 9/26/01

"We should pound the Zags on Friday. They don't have a top 100 recruit, play in a weak conference and don't have the big-game experience of UVa (Duke, UNC, etc.). Does anyone think that Duke or UNC would be worried about this game?"cAv3/14/01

"Bottom line, this game is all about UVa's performance and not the Zags'. If we're the average team from our wins, there's nothing Dickau and co. can do to win unless Carolina refs show up." Hoofan3/14/01

“Either the baskets in the West Coast Conference are three feet wide or these guys have radar in their heads.. I don’t buy the theory that suddenly those shots will start rimming out because the Zags are playing an ACC squad.” Oped:thesabre3/14

"To be honest, I never really had heard of the school, But since I've been here, I've had three (West Coast Conference) championship rings, been to the NCAA twice and the NIT twice. So, we've shared some real success."Mike Leisure3/99

"The big guys from Illinois really paid him (Zach) and Cory a compliment when they said they were the best tandem they've played against so far in their career. I thought that was really something when you think that last year they played against (Michigan State's) Zach Randolph and Andre Hutson."Mark Few S/R11/21/01

"It's kind of a misnomer about us. It's almost funny. They assume we are not very athletic. It's a big mistake."MarkFew12/0

"I don't think people, both in the media and my profession, understand just how good a thing we have up here right now."Mark Few 9/01

"Shot clock turned off.....Calvary.......Hall........8 to shoot........Hall...the runnerrrr......loose ball .....ITS GOOD!!!!.........4.4 to go............Shannon...'Don't want to foul'............Shannon..from the cornerrrrrrrrrr........AND IT'S OVER!!!!!......GONZAGA!!!, THE SLIPPER STILL FITS!!!.....THEY WIN IT 73-72........HOLY COW!!!!" Gus Johnson/Dan Bonner3/99

"They just took our heart and our pride from us. They started hitting shots and crashing the rebounds and we couldn't answer that. That's when our heart was taken and it was all downhill from there." Jason Kapono UCLA 12/99

Beautiful. Yes, thank you!!

Also- is "Not all who wander are lost" a GU thing? Or is that just a generic saying? I see it on a lot of GU shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    This is my favorite quote from that link...the very last one:

"They just took our heart and our pride from us. They started hitting shots and crashing the rebounds and we couldn't answer that. That's when our heart was taken and it was all downhill from there." Jason Kapono UCLA 12/99
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Who's this Jim Beam arsehole?

"These guys are a poor-man's UNC - one great guard, a good big man, and crap everywhere else. Have they stopped for one second to wonder who is going to keep a lid on Chris Williams' baseline jumper if Calvary is covering Watson? You are right - the 'Zaga bandwagon has ballooned to ridiculous proportions. Me thinks that we are going to lay an ass-whoopin' on them." UVaJimBeam3/14/01

Good time to add this one to "Great GU Quotes":

"I think he switched on me and he was trying to play one-on-one against me, and I was like 'OK, let's do it,'" Hachimura said after the game. "We're the best team in the country and I'm the best player too. I have to guard him."

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Good time to add this one to "Great GU Quotes":
    Good call! Love it.

I always liked this quote:

“You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    Gonzaga is a special place, with special people. (Was that Turiaf?)!
    I believe that was Dickau who said it.

Turiaf did say something similar though:

The coach had created a culture that embodied the one-for-all, all-for-one motto — one final Fewy good story.

“That’s the secret sauce of what Gonzaga is all about,’’ he said. “That’s what makes us a special place.’’

I like this T shirt: "OK let's do it"

Keep sawing wood. Or was it chopping? One of those. Was that Sacre?
    It's not funny.

Some fun phrases on a couple of my GU T's:

"United We Zag"

"Remember the run" w/Zag logo & '99-'19 where it all began

"Made for March" w/Gonzaga stamp logo

"We ain't done yet"

"ZAGS VS ALL"

GoZags probably has it in his archives, but I remember Monson trying to give a pep talk at halftime in '99 and after blubbering all over he finally said something like "just go out there and play like you have been". They did and made the E8.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Also- is "Not all who wander are lost" a GU thing? Or is that just a generic saying? I see it on a lot of GU shirts.
    It's a Tolkien thing, from a poem:

All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    But it's great!
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

"Spokane. Center of the College Basketball Universe." Markburn1 11-24-18

Put the quote in the middle of a map on your T Shirt and I'll buy a dozen.

Some great quotes on the signature lines of the regular posters here....

LIZF has a favorite of mine...
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Shot clock turned off..."

“Dont let Nate score” = Adam Morrison screeming into PMAC’s face as he was going to the free throw line vs UW Huskies and Nate Robinson. There used to be a guy here who would post a GIF of that every now and then.

Go Zags! The stash. The best is yet to come. The little engine that cuold.

a fun post....thankis

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Default Great GU sayings/quotes, etc from over the years

" I always have, and still do, take it day by day. If you're lucky enough to have a job like this, you get up every morning and thank God you've got another day to do it again." -- Mark Few.

Dan Fitzgerald, on Mark Few: "Of the guys who worked for me, he turned over the most rocks. He's a scrounger who would go out there and mine some good guys. And the thing I really loved about that guy, if you ever tried to bully him, man, he'd shove it right back at you."

( From Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood by Dave Boling, 2004
    Last edited by RenoZag; 11-25-2018 at 04:47 AM.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Default From BraveHearts

From Bud Withers' 2002 book, BraveHearts:

"Gonzaga's substance has triumphed in an age of style, and its coaches understand that recruiting quality people that can play is more important than recruiting pure basketball talent." - Jay Bilas

"We know what works at our place. We know what kinds of kids work here." - Bill Grier

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Keep sawing wood. Or was it chopping? One of those. Was that Sacre?
    If it was Sacre, he got it from Few.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    I believe that was Dickau who said it.

Turiaf did say something similar though:
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...-pontification

Post 11 of the link is where Dickau said it, and Ronny later "borrowed" it.

DanDickau
    (3/23/03 10:12:51 am)
    The Fellas
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Every once in awhile I would get on this website throughout the season to find out how things were going for the fellas. I obviously would talk to the guys and the coaches at times and they had their ups and downs because of the schedule and how every team absolutely gears up to play their best game against us especially in league. Zach and Winston showed tremendous heart and courage as seniors, too bad it had too end this way. These guys have shown tremendous heart and an appreciation for being a part of such an awesome program. Zach having been part of all five NCAA tournaments is and has been an integral part of the program. As seniors they have nothing to be ashamed, they are great friends of mine and am proud to have been their teammates. As for the other guys they all stepped up and made big plays when needed.

We played the Pacers tonight, but I was able to watch a few minutes before our game started, then had a friend here tape the second half and overtimes for me. I had heard updates throughout the game and found out we had lost by one in double ot, but I still went straight home and watched the tape. Funny thing is I caught myself yelling whenever one of the guys made a big play even when I knew the outcome of the game. The way they played was awesome and it made me appreciate and cherish my time at Gonzaga even more. You could say I was even jealous, not only of the guys because they were in such a great game, but of the amazing fans because I wanted to be there cheering my best friends on too.

This has been a post that has been all over the place, and I will probably never post again, because I am not big on computers.

Last night made me proud to be a ZAG!! I was so happy and proud of the way guys played, and am excited already to hear Coach Few prepare for next year. These guys were part of the best college game I ever saw.

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!"

Dan Dickau #21

Beautiful. Yes, thank you!!

It is from Lord of the Rings.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

"They go to school, they do their homework, they shake hands, they say please and thank you, but once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed"

- Jay Bilas

One of my favorite quotes