Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: God Help Us: Look Who Our ESPN2 Announcers Are For Tonight's Game

Quote Originally Posted by roxdoc View Post
    Huddy and Morrison did their usual great job....just sayin!
    ^^^^^truth^^^^^^

fans ruin the game thread with unwanted thoughts about some horses *ss......why spread the Cancer?
    OK...LETS DO IT!..

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    You all spend too much time listening to the announcers...just watch the game
    Announcers are fun and i love good announcing.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by 3XaZag View Post

I know Walton has his fans, but as this thread shows, few and far between.
    This isn't a scientific poll. This is the collective opinion of the most hardcore Zag fans, and from what I can tell, it's a largely "conservative" fan base.

On the other board I read regularly, the collective opinion of Walton is much more positive, like probably 60% pro-. If this thread was representative of the general population, he'd have been fired a long time ago.

One thing that can't be denied is that he preps for the broadcasts more than anyone else in the business, in terms of knowing all the human interest/background stories about the players and coaches.

It is, after all, "color" commentary. Yet most commentators are pretty black and white. I tape a lot of games and fast forward through ft's/stoppages, but when Walton's on, I keep those on to hear what he'll say next.

To each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Is that idiot Walton going to be on the broadcast tonight ???
    I think he's going to be bicycling across your lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    This isn't a scientific poll. This is the collective opinion of the most hardcore Zag fans, and from what I can tell, it's a largely "conservative" fan base.

On the other board I read regularly, the collective opinion of Walton is much more positive, like probably 60% pro-. If this thread was representative of the general population, he'd have been fired a long time ago.

One thing that can't be denied is that he preps for the broadcasts more than anyone else in the business, in terms of knowing all the human interest/background stories about the players and coaches.

It is, after all, "color" commentary. Yet most commentators are pretty black and white. I tape a lot of games and fast forward through ft's/stoppages, but when Walton's on, I keep those on to hear what he'll say next.

To each their own.
    Please enlighten me as to what being conservative has to do with anything or why you would throw shade about it? I have a hard time understanding why politics has anything to do with this discussion.
    Walton is terrible because he babbles incessantly about himself, his thoughts, his day, his vacation, whales, volcanoes, and wherever else his mind wanders. Pretty much anything but the actual game.
    Even on the rare occasion he offers a thought on the game its not all that enlightening or insightful.

Rallying cry for all GU fans,

"Please beat Arizona, so Walton isn't our announcer tomorrow!!!"

I think he's going to be bicycling across your lawn.
    Bicycling I can overlook one time; however I have to draw the line at "breeding" on my lawn. Blame my parents...just the way I was raised.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by NEC26 View Post
    Please enlighten me as to what being conservative has to do with anything or why you would throw shade about it? I have a hard time understanding why politics has anything to do with this discussion.
    Walton is terrible because he babbles incessantly about himself, his thoughts, his day, his vacation, whales, volcanoes, and wherever else his mind wanders. Pretty much anything but the actual game.
    Even on the rare occasion he offers a thought on the game its not all that enlightening or insightful.
    I didn't "throw shade". (Though I hate that lame expression). I simply made an observation. Walton's a hippie. Conservatives hate hippies, in general, and hold them in contempt. At least that has been my experience, with a few exceptions. Walton, being an old hippie, and tends to talk like Kerouac or Ginsberg or Kesey wrote. Whether one likes that or not depends on one's perspective/world view.

The other board I referenced is a Duck board, as most here probably surmised. Western Oregon is a very progressive/liberal area in general, and on Duckterritory when Walton is discussed, the view skews much more positive. (Though a lot of that also has to do with appreciation for bringing an NBA title to Portland, to be fair).

If you reread my post, I think you'll see I said nothing negative about conservatives. (Unless you consider disliking Walton a negative). I responded to a post saying that the opinion(s) on this board are reflective of the general attitude of the public about him; I pointed out that this board is not a representative sample of the general public, and gave what I think is a reasonable explanation of why.

I think you extrapolated something that wasn't there. If I'm wrong, feel free to cite the words you consider problematic.

zagphish said "The Illinois board had some funny stuff about Walton. I think the consensus was that drugs help?"
    can you provide a link to the Illinois board?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    zagphish said "The Illinois board had some funny stuff about Walton. I think the consensus was that drugs help?"
    can you provide a link to the Illinois board?
    CEO previously linked to this thread over there: Pregame: Illinois vs Gonzaga, Monday, November 19th, 10:30pm CT, ESPN2
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I didn't "throw shade". (Though I hate that lame expression). I simply made an observation. Walton's a hippie. Conservatives hate hippies, in general, and hold them in contempt. At least that has been my experience, with a few exceptions. Walton, being an old hippie, and tends to talk like Kerouac or Ginsberg or Kesey wrote. Whether one likes that or not depends on one's perspective/world view.

The other board I referenced is a Duck board, as most here probably surmised. Western Oregon is a very progressive/liberal area in general, and on Duckterritory when Walton is discussed, the view skews much more positive. (Though a lot of that also has to do with appreciation for bringing an NBA title to Portland, to be fair).

If you reread my post, I think you'll see I said nothing negative about conservatives. (Unless you consider disliking Walton a negative). I responded to a post saying that the opinion(s) on this board are reflective of the general attitude of the public about him; I pointed out that this board is not a representative sample of the general public, and gave what I think is a reasonable explanation of why.

I think you extrapolated something that wasn't there. If I'm wrong, feel free to cite the words you consider problematic.
    I don't think politics has a damn thing to do with Walton. He's a UCLA alum, still basking in the Wooden-era success that ended over 40 years ago. Their compadres are Dallas Cowboy fans, who continue to pay good money for a team that has had virtually no postseason success for a quarter of a century.

Give Walton a chance to run his mouth, and you'll hear his constant references to the Pac-12 as the "Conference of Champions".

IMHO, it's the P5 bias that we rankle at, whether it be Walton, Bilas, or just about every other P5 bred homer on ESPN...and don't get me started on Seth Davis...lol.

OCC's been dead for months, maynard. To say that the Gonzaga fan base is conservative is incorrect. I take issue with your statement "conservatives hate hippies". Hate is such a strong term. There's too much rancor on both sides of the political spectrum, as evidenced by the violence encouraged and propagated by Antifa towards those that aren't on board with them.

The fact you brought up being conservative as reason to dislike like him was odd from the get go. Or to even assume that thats were the dislike is coming from is in itself telling. I have never seen anyone reference hippies or anything of the like. To assume so is absurd.