Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Illinois - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Default GU vs Illinois - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

First Maui Game. What are your hopes for this game? What are you expecting to see? Predictions?

I'll leave you with this:

Have at it boys and girls!
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

89-69 Zags win

What does Francis say?
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Zags 92-68. Slight improvement in play but jet lag and neutral court slightly temper the scoring.

Think this one is a little tougher...

GU 84
    Illinois 74

Zags have a tendency to start slow in tournaments but should get it going in the 2nd half winning by 12. 80- 68

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Illinois lost to GTown, and GTown lost to LMU.....we should win
    Japanese fan

Zags 92-76

Zags 83
    Illinois 69

I want Josh to start looking for his shot more now that we'll be seeing stiffer competition, I want the defensive intensity held over, and I want to see a team mentally tougher than the BiG opponent. Like last year versus Ohio State.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

The Illini board is funny. Some really fear he'll be on our game.... one guy attempts to move on

Bill Walton is not pretending to be something he's not. He's offering Bill Walton Schtick on whatever game he's covering, no more, no less.

We look like hayseeds who aren't in on the joke by still grinding this axe 17(!) years later.
    https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Foru...2.24685/page-6

No excuses for losing to Georgetown, but Loyola Marymount seems to be a pretty good team so far. They are 4-0 and have beaten every team by 10+ points, including @UNLV. They returned seven players from last year, four of which were starters. And the WCC is not some slouch conference and often produces some good teams yearly, like our next opponent Gonzaga. But still, no excuses for losing to Georgetown at home.

I think we handle this first game. Illinois has a couple guys that can score but limited size and depth.

Gonzaga - 91
    Illinois - 72

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would like to see the same level of play as I saw against Texas A&M except for the team field goal percentage and shot selection to be a little better in the first half. If that is the case, I think it is a romp with a bench clearing end.

Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing.

I think Crandall really arrives in Maui and we will be giddy when the tournament is over. Even if it potentially ends with a moral victory against Duke (ie. Team plays very well in a close loss) and we come away believing that this team can really compete against anyone.

If the Zags get the opportunity to play Duke (We all really want to see that!), I sincerely believe that the play between Clarke and Zion will be epic. Epic enough that Clarke will be thrust into the national discussion as one of the best players in college basketball. Clarke's experience will be a factor. He isn't a freshman

This tournament experience will make the team better in post season. The short turn around between games, the travel logistics, the tough competition and great opposing coaches, etc.
    I miss Mike Hart

Zags 94-75

Go!! Zags!!!

Gonzaga 79
    Illinois 67

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

I watched Georgetown v LMU.

Zags 90
    Illini 76
    Bonjour tristesse.

12 blocks
    Rui plays his game without fouls.
    Norvell is a beast out of the gates.
    Clarke shows the Illini his entire bag of tricks.
    Perkins puts up points, connects on tricky passes and finishes with one TO.
    Great team play overall and no injuries.

Gonzaga - 91
    Illinois - 72
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Would like to see the same level of play as I saw against Texas A&M except for the team field goal percentage and shot selection to be a little better in the first half. If that is the case, I think it is a romp with a bench clearing end.

Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing.

I think Crandall really arrives in Maui and we will be giddy when the tournament is over. Even if it potentially ends with a moral victory against Duke (ie. Team plays very well in a close loss) and we come away believing that this team can really compete against anyone.

If the Zags get the opportunity to play Duke (We all really want to see that!), I sincerely believe that the play between Clarke and Zion will be epic. Epic enough that Clarke will be thrust into the national discussion as one of the best players in college basketball. Clarke's experience will be a factor. He isn't a freshman

This tournament experience will make the team better in post season. The short turn around between games, the travel logistics, the tough competition and great opposing coaches, etc.
    Illinois presses and likes to get up into you on D. Rui needs to punish them for trying to do that to him w a PF.

Hadn’t thought about it but you are right on re: Clarke vs Zion matchup. A great performance vs Zion would immediately put Clarke on NBA 1st rounder consideration.

Hard not to think ahead to possible championship game vs Duke
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Gonzaga 94-73

Zags 96
    Illinois 73
    GO ZAGS!!!

Reading the Illini board linked above was fun.

Apparently they play pressure defense the length of the court, which ought to be good to face now. Having three upperclassmen at the guard spots (Norvelle in technical year 3) is nice.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Zags. 91
    Fighting Illini. 76
    Keeping real estate real in the Wenatchee Valley since 1991.

Zags 88
    Illi 78

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Reading the Illini board linked above was fun.

Apparently they play pressure defense the length of the court, which ought to be good to face now. Having three upperclassmen at the guard spots (Norvelle in technical year 3) is nice.
    Kispert’s handle is suspect. Illini could give Crandall a nice opportunity to shine as Zags may need his ballhandling and creativity to attack the press.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Think this one gets a smidge tighter than the A&M game. Want to see the D continue to improve. As someone else said... better shot selection out of the gate instead of waiting until the second half.

Zags 87
    Illini 68
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Zags bring their 3pt % up. Geno shines. Clarke swats 5.

Zags 93
    illi 69