View Poll Results: Gonzaga's WCC Regular Season W- L Record Will be. . .?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • 16 - 0

34 38.64%
  • 15 - 1

36 40.91%
  • 14 - 2

16 18.18%
  • 13 - 3

2 2.27%
  • 12 - 4

0 0%
  • 11 - 5

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WCC Unusually Strong So Far

Default WCC Unusually Strong So Far

The conference has been racking up quality wins this season and I was just checking out the conference on KenPom and it's safe to say that this is the strongest the conference has ever been.

Here is where we stand right now:

#8 Conference Overall
    Team Rankings
    1-50: 2
    51-100: 3
    101-150: 2
    151-200: 0
    200-250: 3
    251-300: 0
    301-353: 0

Here is where the conference ended last season:

#12 Conference Overall
    Team Rankings
    51-100: 1
    101-150: 1
    151-200: 2
    201-250: 1
    251-300: 3
    301-351: 0

Here is where the A-10 stands right now which is traditionally a few spots ahead of the WCC:

#9 Conference Overall
    Team Rankings
    1-50: 0
    51-100: 4
    101-150: 5
    151-200: 3
    201-250: 2

The improvement for the middle teams is really remarkable so far. Some of these programs might fall back a bit, but LMU's double-digit wins over UNLV on the road and Georgetown are impressive and things seem to really be rolling for USF and USD. There will be quite a few opportunities for Top 100 road wins that haven't been there in the past and the conference is definitely trending upward.

If it is handy....where is the Mountain West ?

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    If it is handy....where is the Mountain West ?
    MWC Team Rankings:
    1-50: 1
    101-150: 4
    301-353: 1

it's really too bad usf didn't get their game in against asu because of the fire situation...i think usf would have won and i bet asu will avoid rescheduling that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    The conference has been racking up quality wins this season and I was just checking out the conference on KenPom and it's safe to say that this is the strongest the conference has ever been.

Here is where we stand right now:

#8 Conference Overall
    Team Rankings
    51-100: 3
    101-150: 2
    151-200: 0
    200-250: 3

Here is where the conference ended last season:

#12 Conference Overall
    Team Rankings
    101-150: 1
    151-200: 2
    251-300: 3
    301-351: 0

Here is where the A-10 stands right now which is traditionally a few spots ahead of the WCC:

#9 Conference Overall
    Team Rankings
    1-50: 0
    51-100: 4
    101-150: 5
    201-250: 2

The improvement for the middle teams is really remarkable so far. Some of these programs might fall back a bit, but LMU's double-digit wins over UNLV on the road and Georgetown are impressive and things seem to really be rolling for USF and USD. There will be quite a few opportunities for Top 100 road wins that haven't been there in the past and the conference is definitely trending upward.
    WCC finished 8th and put three teams in the dance in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    WCC finished 8th and put three teams in the dance in 2015.
    Only put in two. Zags and BYU.

Anyway not that important, as we had 7 teams inside the Top 150
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

It is way too early to state that this is the best the conference has ever been. That said it's nice to see a lot of teams getting off to good starts. I do hope it stays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Only put in two. Zags and BYU.

Anyway not that important, as we had 7 teams inside the Top 150
    My only excuse, and I think it's a strong one, is that I'm in maui and had a liquid dinner last night.

My only excuse, and I think it's a strong one, is that I'm in maui and had a liquid dinner last night.
    Prolly distracted by the Hula Girls too.

Hmmmm..... That same Hoyas team that beat Illinois just lost to LMU last night.

TBH... WCC has historically dropped stinkers in November... so far it is looking good.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I'm giving you an official pass given the perfect logic of your defense. Drink safely my friend

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Hmmmm..... That same Hoyas team that beat Illinois just lost to LMU last night.

TBH... WCC has historically dropped stinkers in November... so far it is looking good.
    Looked like the game was played in a ballroom. Thought they might consider cancelling at one point because of the slippery floor. Humidity? or maybe ice rink

The lighting the atmosphere was DULL....play in the first half and lots of the second SAME...but WCC with WIN

This is encouraging.

The odd thing is, that for all our complaints about the WCC and lack of any real alternative for us, is that the WCC is the perfect conference if it can just be in that 6-8 RPI position.

For those who say "it's too early" I would agree except as LIZF noted, we're "far enough in" that in previous years some real horrible losses had been accrued already.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I am reminded of the wisdom of Jerry, the barber.

Jerry and his pal, Mitch, were a couple of old Mainers who had been running a little barbershop next to a paper mill since they got back from World War II. By the time I started patronizing Jerry’s shop, Mitch was old enough and tired enough that he mostly napped in his barber chair all day. Nobody really wanted Mitch to cut their hair, because his hands were no longer steady enough to hold the clippers. They talked Red Sox-Yankees during just about every haircut. Sox fans were still suffering under the collective weight and misery of the eighty-plus year World Series drought and the Curse of the Bambino. These old guys were pretty sure that they would never see a World Series win in their lifetimes.

On one bright morning, an old fan popped into the shop holding a newspaper sports page. He said, “Look at this, Jerry, the Red Sox are in first place! Do you know what that means?”

Jerry replied in a thick Mainer accent, “Ah yuh, it means it’s still April.”
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post

Jerry and his pal, Mitch, were a couple of old Mainers who had been running a little barbershop next to a paper mill since they got back from World War II. By the time I started patronizing Jerry’s shop, Mitch was old enough and tired enough that he mostly napped in his barber chair all day. Nobody really wanted Mitch to cut their hair, because his hands were no longer steady enough to hold the clippers. They talked Red Sox-Yankees during just about every haircut. Sox fans were still suffering under the collective weight and misery of the eighty-plus year World Series drought and the Curse of the Bambino. These old guys were pretty sure that they would never see a World Series win in their lifetimes.

On one bright morning, an old fan popped into the shop holding a newspaper sports page. He said, “Look at this, Jerry, the Red Sox are in first place! Do you know what that means?”

LMU just got two votes in the AP poll this morning. Now that is unusual (and good).

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    LMU just got two votes in the AP poll this morning. Now that is unusual (and good).
    That was the Ramblers of Loyola-Chicago and Loyola of Maryland?

Others receiving votes: Nebraska 98, Indiana 74, Maryland 56, Villanova 53, Furman 50, Syracuse 29, Washington 29, Texas 23, West Virginia 18, Butler 18, Miami 18, St. John's 13, Iowa State 11, Texas Tech 8, Marquette 7, Florida 7, Saint Louis 6, Notre Dame 4, Arizona State 4, Marshall 4, Vanderbilt 4, UConn 3, Temple 2, Loyola-Chicago 2, Loyola (MD) 2, Davidson 1, Arkansas 1
    EDIT: Looks like ESPN had the wrong Loyola - checking the AP's actual website does indeed have LMU...good for them!
    Last edited by strikenowhere; 11-19-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: reasons

My Dons are 4-0 (one D-2 win) and all wins are by 30 or more. Haven't been tested yet. The Arizona State game was postponed due to poor air quality in the bay area due to Butte County fire. Yesterday's game against LIU Brooklyn was played at CSU Monterey Bay for the same reason.

First test will be against Harvard on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    That was the Ramblers of Loyola-Chicago and Loyola of Maryland?

EDIT: Looks like ESPN had the wrong Loyola - checking the AP's actual website does indeed have LMU...good for them!
    Ha, you almost got me on that one. I had to go back and check. Great to see LMU sneak up there.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    My Dons are 4-0 (one D-2 win) and all wins are by 30 or more. Haven't been tested yet. The Arizona State game was postponed due to poor air quality in the bay area due to Butte County fire. Yesterday's game against LIU Brooklyn was played at CSU Monterey Bay for the same reason.

First test will be against Harvard on Wednesday.
    Has the Arizona state game been rescheduled? Is there a chance it won’t be?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Voter was Scott Mansch from Great Falls, MT if anyone is curious.

https://collegepolltracker.com/baske...ch/2018/week-3

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post

The WCC went 3-1 last night and now has a 30-10 record overall. The season’s still early, but I like what we’ve seen so far.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

This is great news for the WCC!!!

And I gotta say, when the season started, I was thinking we'd win every conference game by 34+. But now I think it will only be like 30+.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Good start to the year, now let's hope they can keep it up!

The WCC did put three teams in the NCAA tournament in 2011-12, the first year BYU was in the league.

There's probably an difficult-to-prove argument that the league was "better" at some distant point in the 1950s, but other than that, it seems like this year has real potential.

There are quite a few interesting games left... USF and SMC both get Harvard, LMU goes to UCLA, SCU plays in Berkeley, BYU plays a number of interesting teams (Utah/USU/SDSU/Mississippi State), SMC and LSU, and obviously a few for GU (UNC at the top of the list).

I'll otherwise keep my head down as it appears SCU may be the worst team in the league as KJ Feagin goes down with a broken wrist...

Quote Originally Posted by SCU View Post
    The WCC did put three teams in the NCAA tournament in 2011-12, the first year BYU was in the league.

There's probably an difficult-to-prove argument that the league was "better" at some distant point in the 1950s, but other than that, it seems like this year has real potential.

There are quite a few interesting games left... USF and SMC both get Harvard, LMU goes to UCLA, SCU plays in Berkeley, BYU plays a number of interesting teams (Utah/USU/SDSU/Mississippi State), SMC and LSU, and obviously a few for GU (UNC at the top of the list).

I'll otherwise keep my head down as it appears SCU may be the worst team in the league as KJ Feagin goes down with a broken wrist...
    Good post. Portland and SCU are certainly down. I expect SCU to be better in a couple-few years. We will see what Porter can do at Portland. Otherwise the league looks much improved.