Baseball Inks Six to NLIs on Signing Day

Six high school to join GU in Fall 2019

SPOKANE, Wash.—Gonzaga baseball signed six players to National Letters of Intent, head coach Mark Machtolf announced Thursday. They will join the Bulldogs for the 2019-20 school year.

The class is a major boost to the future of the pitching staff with five right-handed pitchers who have posted strong numbers in their prep years. One infielder joins the group to round out the 2020 recruiting class.

Anthony Garrett | INF | Sherwood, Ore.
A middle infielder from Sherwood, Oregon, Anthony Garrett has been a two-time All-Three Rivers League honoree and was named to the Oregon All-State team.
Why Garrett chose Gonzaga: "From my first time on campus to the last time, I've loved every second. The players and coaches make being a Zag something special, and the people are what made the decision easy."
Coach Machtolf on Garrett: "Anthony projects to be an impact player in the middle of the diamond for us. He's a plus defender, and will continue to develop as he gets stronger. We are very excited to welcome Anthony to the Zag Family."

Reagan Haas | RHP | Wapato, Wash.
A right-handed pitcher from Wapato, Washington, Reagan Haas has posted a strong prep career, including setting the Yakima Valley record for strikeouts with 20 in a seven-inning game in which he faced just 22 batters. Haas was named to the 2018 Baseball Northwest All-Tournament team and pitched in the championship game of the 2018 Stan Musial Tournament, Arizona Fall Classic and the Wilson Premier Classic.
Why Haas chose Gonzaga: "I chose Gonzaga because I felt like it was a very family-based atmosphere. I think that I can get a good degree as well as get to play the great game of baseball. It is a blessing to be a part of this great family."
Coach Machtolf on Haas: "Reagan is a very competitive right-handed pitcher, who we think has a chance to have a three-pitch mix and be a big-time contributor for us. Reagan is an outstanding young man, who will bring a blue-collar work ethic to our program. We are very excited to welcome Reagan to the Zag Family."

Gabriel Hughes | RHP | Eagle, Idaho
Gabriel Hughes, a right-handed pitcher from Eagle, Idaho, is the reigning Idaho Gatorade Player of the Year. He's a two-time First Team All-Conference selection and was the conference Player of the Year last season. As a junior, he posted a 7-1 record with a 1.84 earned-run average, while hitting .461 with four homers and 31 runs batted in on the season.
Why Hughes chose Gonzaga: "Gonzaga is an incredible university with strong academics, a dedicated coaching staff, and a sense of community everywhere you go. I am excited to be continuing such a strong legacy of excellence."
Coach Machtolf on Hughes: "We feel we are getting the premier pitcher in the Northwest. Gabriel brings everything to our program that you look for in an athlete, student and community member. We are very excited to welcome Gabriel to the Zag Family."

William Kempner | RHP | San Jose, Calif.
William Kempner, a right-handed pitcher from San Jose, Calif., helped his Valley Christian High School team to the no. 1 ranking in the state as a junior and a 29-3-1 record. He posted a 2.07 ERA and a 3-0 record and one save on the season. Kempner posted a 2.49 ERA as a sophomore in helping his team to a 22-11-1 record.
Why Kempner chose Gonzaga: "I chose Gonzaga because when I stepped foot on campus it felt like home. The guys were all very welcoming, and the school is beautiful. On top of it all, Gonzaga is known nation-wide for its prestigious academics."
Coach Machtolf on Kempner: "We feel William has a chance to be an impact contributor in our pitching rotation early in his career. He has a power sinker, and has a lot of experience pitching in big games already. We are very excited to welcome William to the Zag Family."

Jacob Rutherford | RHP | Post Falls, Idaho
A local product, Jacob Rutherford comes to Gonzaga from Post Falls, Idaho. The right-hander was a First Team all-conference selection and three-time Academic All-American. As a junior, Rutherford helped Post Falls to a third-place finish at the Idaho State 5A Tournament with a 17-12 record.
Why Rutherford chose Gonzaga: "[Going to] Gonzaga has always been a goal of mine growing up. I lived close by and went to watch basketball and baseball games often. Having the chance to be a part of the Gonzaga community and the ability to work with top-tier coaches at a top-tier program was one opportunity I couldn't pass up."
Coach Machtolf on Rutherford: "Jacob is a local product that we are very happy to keep in Spokane. He has a high ceiling, and we think he will really flourish in our program. We are very excited to welcome Jacob to the Zag Family."

Trystan Vrieling | RHP | Kennewick, Wash.
Trystan Vrieling, a right-handed pitcher, comes to the Zags from Kennewick, Washington, after a junior season in which he was named the Kamiakin High School Varsity Pitcher of the Year and earned a spot on the Baseball Northwest All-Tournament Team.
Why Vrieling chose Gonzaga: "Growing up in the North Idaho area, GU has always been the university I dreamed of playing baseball for and attending. Being given this opportunity has truly been a blessing, and I look forward to and am very excited about continuing my baseball and academic career on the beautiful campus of Gonzaga University."
Coach Machtolf on Vrieling: "Trystan is an elite strike thrower who just continues to get better and better. We think he will remind a lot of our fans of former Zag Andrew Sopko (2015). We are very excited to welcome Trystan to the Zag Family."

Gonzaga Article Link