Thread: Gonzaga loses quality opponent for first round in Maui

Default Gonzaga loses quality opponent for first round in Maui

Illinois opened with two home games. After beating cupcake Evansville, the Illini lost, on their home court, to unranked Georgetown by eight points. Perhaps Maui first round now an opportunity to play the starters just long enough to shake off any rust and adjust to the time zone before getting some rest while the bench mops up the hapless Illini and stays fresh for worthy competitors on the next two nights. Would have liked to beat a good team, but not possible now.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Illinois opened with two home games. After beating cupcake Evansville, the Illini lost, on their home court, to unranked Georgetown by eight points. Perhaps Maui first round now an opportunity to play the starters just long enough to shake off any rust and adjust to the time zone before getting some rest while the bench mops up the hapless Illini and stays fresh for worthy competitors on the next two nights. Would have liked to beat a good team, but not possible now.
    Don’t believe Illini will be a pushover. That’s a trap. Their starting PG banged his head during walk through day of Georgetown game and had to be placed in concussion protocol hence didn’t play. They press and play very aggressive D. Zags better be ready as Illini know they can get their season back on track w a W vs Zags.

Last thing these Zags need to do is start believing they can win just by suiting up or do as we fans do and start looking ahead to a Maui Championship game matchup vs Duke (but I think Auburn will beat Duke).
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

You realize they lost to a solid, potential tourney team in Georgetown, right?

And I'm sure you're also aware they were missing their best player, right? (who may be back for the GU game)

Nobody (knowledgeable) expected Illinois to be a top team this season. Their frontcourt is super weak and the Zags should feast. But one loss to a comparably talented team doesn't mean they are going to be a total write-off, either. They should be a 50-100 team when all is said and done. That is more than solid enough for an opening opponent in a 3 game noncon tourney with regards to the Zags resume.

Holy overreaction on 1 game batman.

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    You realize they lost to a solid, potential tourney team in Georgetown, right?

And I'm sure you're also aware they were missing their best player, right? (who may be back for the GU game)

Nobody (knowledgeable) expected Illinois to be a top team this season. Their frontcourt is super weak and the Zags should feast. But one loss to a comparably talented team doesn't mean they are going to be a total write-off, either. They should be a 50-100 team when all is said and done. That is more than solid enough for an opening opponent in a 3 game noncon tourney with regards to the Zags resume.

Holy overreaction on 1 game batman.
    No kidding. Crazy overreaction. I figured they’d be okay in the big ten. A bit better than Texas A&M. At least tell me they lost to Evansville or something but no Georgetown without their best player. Come on man. Not even worth its own thread tbh
    Qualified for 21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Huh?

They won't end the season Top 25 in all likelihood, but there's a chance they're Top 50 - Top 75 - Top 100 when all is said and done. That's not hideous. And perhaps they'll have one of their key starters back (out with concussion protocol) when they reach Maui.

silly thread

Earn everything.

The orange and blue wrecking crew is not going to lay down.
    I miss Mike Hart

are you being serious or just stirring the p*t???

edit to add: testing to see if pot still gets edited out...hey, guess not...don't need to use p*t anymore =)
    Last edited by WallaWallaZag; 11-14-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Last year everyone thought Ohio State was a pushover too. They ended up having a pretty good season and were a quality win for Gonzaga. A lot tougher to beat the 2nd time around too.

Illinois has beaten the Zags 5 out of 6 head to head, so I guess there's that.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Illinois has beaten the Zags 5 out of 6 head to head, so I guess there's that.
    And we need to beat Idaho state like 30 more times to even our series with them too. Awesome logic.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    And we need to beat Idaho state like 30 more times to even our series with them too. Awesome logic.
    And all those Idaho St. games (before this year) were before 1995. All the Illinois games are since 2002 & the last 3 (all loses) were 2011, 2012, 2013. Awesome research.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
    -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

dang... guess we're all getting a little chippy.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

It is early in the season and fans all react to wins and loses differently. Our game verse the Illini will ultimately matter in March for seeding, especially if they end up being mid to upper pack in the Big 10. Don't sleep on this Illini team.

Strange as it may seem, Gonzaga is still in the position of being unduly downgraded by any loss occurring to a team that they are supposed to beat.

The bluebloods are not dinged nearly as much as the Zags would be. Seeding is important in March. Need to take every opponent seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Strange as it may seem, Gonzaga is still in the position of being unduly downgraded by any loss occurring to a team that they are supposed to beat.

The bluebloods are not dinged nearly as much as the Zags would be. Seeding is important in March. Need to take every opponent seriously.
    100% agreed! We could easily lose to UNC in Chapel Hill and fall 5 to 10 spots in the polls, yet Duke could lose a game to UNC in Chapel Hill and stay the same or lose 1/2 spots only.

Maybe Georgetown’s very good. Hard to know after 2 games.

Facts: 1. None of the current players were even students when GU played Illinois. 2. The Illini stunk, thou not as bad as UNLV or as Oregon last night. GU has an interest in Illinois improving this year, but couldn’t care less what happens to Oregon or UNLV. 3. It is ludicrous that 68 teams will be considered worthy of competing for a national championship. 4. Even that pales compared to football teams with records of 6-7, 6-6, 7-6 or 7-5 be treated as successes worthy of a post-season bowl game (except perhaps the American Standard Toilet Bowl held someplace like Toledo). 5. No one really wants to go to Minneapolis in early April absent a Final Four. The college World Series last ridiculously long and includes mostly undeserving teams. 6. The correct label for Olympians awarded silver or bronze medals is “Losers”. The correct label for most Olympians is young men and women who want to party and get laid on paid vacations whose most significant achievement is dressing is (mostly) jingoistic costumes and marching around an arena.

The common factor is not competition or recognition of excellent achievement. It is money for marginally competent sports bureaucrats and egregiously avaricious tv networks.

“Chippy”? Yeah, probably, but also accurate. Our culture is so “dumbed down” that we’ll waste enormous time and money celebrating mediocrity.

As someone who I cannot remember often ended his rants, “That’s just my opinion. I could be wrong!”